main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Happy or sad endings to movies?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AzurePhoenix, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzurePhoenix

AzurePhoenix Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    After watching Star Wars fan films for a few years now, I have been itching to start one of my own. I have a rough screenplay in progress and a few people helping me out with some of the pre-planning and brainstorming. However, I wanted to know what people generally liked better for the ending of a movie or short film.

Happy endings or sad endings?

Myself I prefer the happy ones, but the sad ones can sometimes have a lot more impact.

Your thoughts on the subject?

2. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Happy endings that aren't quite happy, or have a very sad scene right before them.

3. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Either, as long as it's an extreme,

REALLY sad, or REALLY happy.

Examples:

Moulin Rouge
    Braveheart
    Reciprocity

I always cry at the end of braveheart. :(

Edit: I think I usually prefer the sad ones though, personal preference at that point, I think.

4. Chris_F

Chris_F Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2003
    I like a semi happy/ semi sad ending. Example: Matrix Revolutions (I know a lot a people were disappointed, but I liked it)

(SPOILERS)

I felt sad that Neo and Trinity died, but I was happy for Zion and the people in the Matrix.

5. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I'd only go one of two ways on a film. Either overall sad or happy for some and sad for others.

And like that...he's gone.

6. Try4ce

Try4ce Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2003
    If there's no logical way to make your ending happy (as in, you'd have to overexplain something or make something ridiculous happen to make it happy) then make it sad.

On the other hand, if you can make a happy ending without nonsensical twists happening at the end, then I would say that's the way to go. But if you can't do it that way, tell the story the way you've gotta do it.

You should have fun with your movie. If a sad ending will make your movie less enjoyable for you to make, then make sure you structure your story to work up to a happy ending.

Myself, I like to leave the audience smiling at the end, but that doesn't mean I don't like movies that don't do that. That's just the kind of story I like to write myself.

Also, I like to have the movie's opening scene set an overall tone for the film. If you want the audience to have fun with the movie, have a fun scene in the beginning. If you want a dark or mysterious movie, start with a dark or mysterious scene. So if you're working up to a happy ending, start the movie with a fun scene. But again, that's just how I like to do it.

7. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Matrix: Revolutions was a happy ending in that the piece of trash "re"quels were over.

But a sad ending, because they sucked, and there was no going back.

M. Scott

8. AzurePhoenix

Jul 16, 2003
    True Dorkman... but that still doesn't let us know where you stand for happy vs sad endings ;)

Thanks for all the replies everyone, this stuff is very helpful...

9. The_Mathematician

The_Mathematician Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I would say it depends on what your whole film is about.

Example -- if you're telling the story of an X-Wing Squadron, a mixed ending would be best (some good friends died, but we got the job done kind of thing)

Example #2 -- in a "war film" or a "Jedi Trials" era film, sad endings with a small bit of hope seem to fare well with audiences. Examples of films here would be any "Alamo" film or maybe "U-571" or "The Hunt for Red October."

Example #3 -- a movie with a theme of good over evil should end on a happy note. Best example of this would be "SW 4: A New Hope."

Did this help at all?

EDIT: If you need an editor....

10. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    I like the real sad part, then BOOM it hits ya, the happy stuff. Ala Remember The Titans or just about any inspirational sports movie.

--Jamball

11. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    For me it all depends on my mood.

Also it depends by what you mean. For example, Gladiator's ending is a bit sad, because he dies, but it's happy because the Emperor is defeated and the main character finally goes to his family waiting for him.

Also, the Last Samurai, that ending is sad, I cried... in a manly way. :D But meanwhile it's happy because Japan could finally return back to it's traditional ways and the American finally finds hapiness.

Basically here's how I see movies in general. You play with people's emotions. But sometimes you have to let what the audience wants to happen, to happen. They may not know they want it, but you make them want it. This is more for an enjoyable movie I find.

But sometimes for movies where I like to think, like Momento, I don't need a happy ending, I just need an interesting, mind-bogling one, which they delivered with.

However, when there's a character which I'm made to like through the story by the writer and director, and whom I want to survive, suddenly dies, unless it's to find happiness... end up with his family, ect... I won't enjoy it as much. But if it's someone you enjoy, but dies to make a point of our society, or maybe to make you feel for the other characters, then it depends.

It all depends on how you make people feel about the situation/character and how you set up the story.

Tell me if my rambling makes any sense at all. :D

12. Jamball

Feb 6, 2004
    I cry every time I watch Rudy. But it's a good gry, however, not very manly.

--Jamball

13. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    I personally can't stand "super happy ending" I mean don't get me wrong..I love happy endings when they are due, but some fanfilms just end too happy...it's too predictable...besides, it's cool to see a different ending every now and then...I mean the good guy doesn't always have to win.(If our fanfilms characters are staying true to canon, then it really doesn't matter if they lose or die, cuz the final outcome will be what we know in the SW universe anyways) sad or neutral endings are a good twist and sometimes leaves you with a lump in your throat like "aw man they died, but atleast everything else is okay"

This is what I personally liked about the story line in my fanfilm...(s). =)

~Rory

14. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    It doesn't matter what we want (an attitude GL clearly has towards his audience), only what you, the filmmaker, feel is appropriate to your film. Don't ask questions, just write your darn script and go have an adventure making a movie! :D

15. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    I just get really pissed when its an bleak, unhappy ending with no positive points and all the good guys die.

16. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    You shouldn't always, because that's often how historically accurate movies are made, and they're supposed to provoke you to reform, instead of just "pissing you off." Don't just get mad, fix the real life equivalent of the situation!

17. Jamball

Feb 6, 2004
    You want to see bleak and unhappy? Watch Requiem For a Dream. Talk about depressing. Great movie, but jeez.

You don't want to see bleak and unhappy? Go eat some cabbage!

--Jamball

18. AzurePhoenix

Jul 16, 2003
    Again, thanks for all the responses, it's good to hear everyone's point of view on this :).

The main reason I posed this question was because in my screenplay, there are two very plausible outcomes for the end... and I was having trouble deciding.

In scenario A, the two main characters, though suffering greatly through their ordeal (one is very near death at the outcome and the other is utterly exhausted) still manage to survive and live on to have an adventure another day.

In scenario B, one of the main characters sacrifices herself to save the one she loves. Probably has more impact, but dang it... it's sad

I'm leaning towards option A. I'm going to try for an ending which is still happy but has lots of gripping ups and downs right before it.

19. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Don't go with B. It's hokey, overdone, hard to do well, predictable, etc. Use A, and emphasize the extent to which they're hurt, to make it all the more surprising when they survive.

20. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Do B. Then have the character she's trying to save die anyway.

How's that for a downer?

-Paul

21. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    That would be much better than his suggested B.

In my opinion, when a character commits suicide to save another, it's a good example of bathos, to me. The payoff ends up being equal -- one's death counteracts one's survival, so the feeling of happiness is +1 and the feeling of sadness, -1, so they undo each other, and make you feel a bit let down, and "eh." Go to one extreme or the other.

22. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I like sad with a sense of inspiration ala Braveheart, Gladiator, etc.

23. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    I thought the ending to Spider Man was kinda brave. Dude saves the day but has to walk out on the girl to keep her from getting hurt. A bit of melancholy.

So, working that into AzurePhoenix's scenario, the main charachter sacrifices her freedom for the one she loves. To make matters worse the guy (I'm guesing) thinks that she's dead...

... uh oh I feel a sequel comming...

24. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I laughed at Gladiator. I had no idea it was supposed to be a good movie, let alone a serious one.

As for sad/happy endings... think of the movie Pink Floyd The Wall. That thing was as depressing as all get out, but the ending is kinda cheerful in a way because he is starting to recover from his problems.

25. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh right, sorry.

I like good endings.

There are many ways to end a film, but really only one way that you watch and feel RIGHT about. Obviously the film up to that point will inform it: if it's a comedy, happy. If it's a tragedy, sad. If it's more complex than that, let the story tell YOU how it wants to end.

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.