main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Happy Paczki Day!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Jayna, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Does anyone know a good place around here to get some quality paczki? I want to celebrate properly, but the only place that I can think of is Krispy Kreme, and that just doesn't seem right.

Happy Paczki day!!! :D

2. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Be authentic and make your own!

RECIPE:
    Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk for 5 minutes. Sift the flour into the scalded milk gradually. Add the yeast mixture, stirring until smooth. Let rise for 1/2 hour. Beat the salt into the egg yolks; add to flour mixture, mix well. Add the sugar and rum. Mix well. Knead until the dough no longer sticks to the sides. Gradually knead in the butter. Place in a greased bowl, turn to coat and let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rise again. Cut the dough in half, set one half aside and roll out the second half about 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter cut as many rounds as possible. Place a dab of jam or filling on one round, cover jam with another round and seal edges. Place the filled paczki on greased sheets, allowing room between each for rising. Repeat the process until all the dough is used. Let the paczki rise for about 1 hour or until doubled. Pour the oil into deep fryer or deep pan (about 5 inches). Heat the oil until it is about 360 to 370 degrees. Deep fry the paczki in oil for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides. Dust with powdered sugar.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 packages active dry yeast
    1.5 ounces rum
    1/2 cup lukewarm milk
    1 cup melted butter
    6 cups flour
    prune filling or cherry jam
    (jams w/o added sugar)
    1 cup milk, scalded & cooled
    oil for deep frying
    2 teaspoons salt
    powdered sugar for sprinkling
    20 egg yolks
    3/4 cup sugar

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    ummmm, anyone care to enlighten me??

4. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Yeah- I can just see me trying to do all that in my pathetic little Stimpson kitchen area. Not gonna happen. It would be fun to try, though.

Q, today is Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras in french), also known to the Polish American population as Paczki Day. Come to find out, it's not really observed much down here and is primarily observed in the great lakes region.

At any rate, I grew up celebrating Paczki Day- the day before Ash Wednesday- when you gorge yourself with insanely fatty paczki (pretty much polish jelly doughnuts) before starting the fasting of the Lent. It's a really big deal where I'm from- with the local bakeries raking in big bucks. There are even parades and Paczki Day celebrations in Detroit.

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    wow, sounds like a good time! If ya can do it in an hour you can use my kitchen :p

6. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Hey Karma- do you actually make your own or did you just pull up that recipe? That's really impressive if you make them. They sound complicated.

7. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    So how did the Quest go? I was in Publix buying some milk so I trucked over the bakery section and found the ones you were telling Rick about. They didn't look too happy at all. Not at all.

EDIT: WHOA!!! Hold your Tauntauns. Rum!? I just read the recipe and it mentioned rum! Jayna, whey didn't you tell me it involved rum?!?! We need to make some and enjoy a quality showing of Pirates of the Caribbean! ;)

Jack Sparrow: No. Not good. Stop. Not good. What are you doing? You've burned all the food, the shade, the RUM.
    Elizabeth: Yes, the rum is gone.
    Jack Sparrow: Why is the rum gone?
    Elizabeth: One, because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels. Two, that signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire royal navy is out looking for me; do you really think that there is EVEN the slightest chance that they won't see it?
    Jack Sparrow: But why is the rum gone?

:D

8. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    My great-grandma would make these. I called them "fun buns" growing up. I don't know her recipe, the one above is one I got from the 'net.

9. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    hmm. Wonder why you called them fun buns? ;)

10. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I don't know. The ones I saw at Publix definitely weren't fun. More like rejected donuts.

11. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Fun buns! I love it!

There was nothing fun about those things at Publix. Those were just pathetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.