main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Hard work should pay off...

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lodreh, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Normally I would not post something like this but I can not imagine a better analogy will come along, enjoy.

A young girl, who considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, was about to finish her first year of college. Her father was a rather staunch Republican.

One day she was challenging her father on his beliefs & his opposition to programs like welfare.

He stopped her & asked how she was doing in school. She answered that she had a 4.O GPA, but it was really tough. She had to study all the time, never had time to go out and party & often went sleepless because of all the studying.

She didn?t have time for a boyfriend & didn?t really have many college friends because of all of her studying.

He then asked how her friend Mary, who was attending the same college, was doing. She replied that Mary was barely getting by. She had a 2.O GPA, never studied, was very popular on campus & was at parties all the time. She often wouldn?t show up for classes because she was hung over.

The father then asked his daughter why she didn?t go to the Dean?s Office & ask if she could take 1.O off her 4.O and give it to her friend who only had a 2.0. That way they would both have a 3.O GPA.

The daughter quickly replied, "That wouldn?t be fair, I worked really hard for mine & my friend has done nothing."

The father smiled & said, "Welcome to the Republican Party, dear!"

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

2. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Ooooh, that was wonderful! And I'm not even a republican. I'm not a democrat either. I don't ally myself with either party, but I don't really want to start a political discussion.....

3. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
  4. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Hehehe... funny one! But I am not going to touch this one with a 10 foot pole. You see where politics got the Star Wars universe!

5. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    snicker, snicker....

"Welcome to New England..... and your fate!!!!!!!!!!" - Major Bludd, GI JOE: A Real American Hero (now on DVD with exclusive Snake-Eyes & Timber figure - but it's not really Timber, but a repaint of the coyote packaged with v.3 Dusty)

6. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Blast it Riff that was the point. It does not matter who is "right" or who is "wrong" when the people wake up one day to find their democracy gone...

What is that saying? Something to the effect, "Once you start down the Dark Path"... no wait... "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"... ummm nah... Oh, look an Oreo that turns milk blue... what was I saying?

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

7. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    Did somebody say "party"?

JOE SECRET: I've drank "Fresca" before.

8. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Party on, Wayne!

JOE SECRET: Joe has slowly, secretly, over time tried to weave wampa hair into his scalp, hoping that the great lapse of time will make those around him think only that he is aging fast, while in fact he turns himself into the Great Wampa!

9. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    Party on, Garth.

10. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Keep working Lodreh. Millions of people on welfare depend on you.

11. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks for sticking up for me, Entropy. And to think how unholy-ly cruelly-ly I've been tormenting you.

12. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    Well, personally I enjoy the fact that you guys all pay for my income. Thank you. :D

13. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    Your welcome. But then, considering that I'm a state employee now, I guess they are paying for my income too. Speaking of which, what does somebody have to do to get a raise around here?

14. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I'll buy you a booster seat Entropy ;).

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

15. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    You are welcome, J9 and entropy. :) I dont mind paying your salaries at all!

16. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I agree with Riff on this one we need J9 and Entropy and other people who do the things they do... I for one salute you.

Today I saw the base of what is wrong in this country... for those who did not know I work in a Real Estate Office. This office manages property for independent owners so the owners do not have the headaches that associated with owning... does that make any sense?

Anyway today we had to do Evictions for non-payment of rent. This is never a good day. Today was worse. Section 8 ( Housing Assistance ) pays all of the rent for this particular person except $10.00 ( no this is not a typo ). That in itself I do not mind ( though it makes you wonder ). What bothered me was the big screen TV w/ complete DVD surround sound system in the living room and the X-Box and Game Cube in the kids bedroom. Not to mention more movies and games than even I own ( those who have been to my house know I have a few ). To top it off the person in question showed up driving a 2003 Lincoln Navigator and was dressed in a suit and tie. Needless to say I wondered why I was working today....

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

17. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    /sigh

And he couldnt (or wouldnt) pay that $10.00 rent? Oh, for pete's sake....

18. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    After all those purchases, I couldn't afford the $10 either....

19. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    No kidding!

Oh, and Entropy to get a raise you just need to stay in. We get one every New Years, and you get one for time in, like on the 2 year mark, 3 year mark, 4 year mark, and 6 year mark. They are BIG raises too!

20. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    You work for the State? Hmmmmmm. Things sure have changed since the last time I worked for the state. We didn't get any thing, except longivity raises at 5, 10, and 15 years of service.

21. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    Well that's how it is in the military.

22. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    We are not a democracy, we're a republic. "I pledge alligence to the flag of the United States of America and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands......" I vote for who I like, not for a particular party (I like all parties, hahaha) I heard Paul Harvey say that one day in his show. Just something to keep you thinking. Good Day.

JMK

23. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Actually we are an oligarchy... we elect people to elect people to run things. In a true democracy we would elect the President not an "Electoral College" which is in place because the "people" are too dumb to think for themselves. Seriously that is why the Electoral College is in place... that and the communication limitations of the previous age. Does anyone else think it should be changed? Well popular vote says "Pass me another beer, the game's 'bout to start."

/sigh I love the land of the free even though we are all chained to the TV...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

24. Entropy

May 30, 2002

"Okay, I know what the Senate is, but what is Congress?" - Something I heard a guy say at a local restaurant after spouting off for about a half an hour on the Florida voting mess.

25. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    Actually, the Electoral College is in operation only in the selection of the president, not of the Congress. Also, it is made up of electors selected by various ods based upon individual state rules. Generally, though, candidates are pre-selected to represent each "side" in an election. After the election results are returned in each state, seats in the electoral college are doled out to those electors. Now, some states divide the seats among each side's electors based upon the percentage of the vote received, and some do a "winner takes all" type of deal.
    The truth is, though, that those electors can vote anyway they want after selected.

So, maybe what we are is a Republic with a dose of oligarchal elements. Anyway, I kinda like the system we have now. It seems to me that anything else we would come up with would be pretty unweildy. And lets face it, government truly "of the people, for the people, and by the people" is just an unworkable concept. On the large scale, a true democracy, or even a liberal (not speaking in terms of social/financial/etc. beliefs, but in terms of actually governmental operation) republic is just too anarchic a form of government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.