main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford Gets To Dictate Plot

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EmperorAjay, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    I would appreciate it if anyone who responds to this only discusses the fact that Han Solo dies in this movie. Please don't say who was involved, or any other plot details, or if you're going to do that write SPOILER before your post so I don't read it.

Anyway, this is what I assumed as soon as it was confirmed in 2014 that the big three would be in it. He never liked the character and was adamant he should've died. I think he made them guarantee he would be in a fifth Indy movie, and that they would kill his character in this film.

Why would Disney agree to have the most popular character die unless it was an ultimatum? These sorts of ultimatums are just plain wrong. I agree with Lucas that the character shouldn't die like this, and if he does die it should be to save others at the end of Episode 9, because by the time any possible fourth trilogy was made he'd maybe be too old to be the Han everyone remembers. As a fan I find this insulting, and belittling to my intelligence. It's a shame too because I enjoy his performances and think he is very talented. I just wish he'd have a greater appreciation for the role that made him a mega-star.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Respectfully disagree with this. HF is a huge, big name movie star. He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do. If he did make a caveat that he would only do TFA if they killed off Han Solo, more power to him. The man is 73 years old, and wanted Han to be killed off in ROTJ - 32 years ago. The character can't live forever, and Ford probably doesn't want to do any more SW films. So, they decided to give the character a dramatic send-off - by all accounts, this makes the film more poignant (still haven't seen this yet).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but don't go sending hate e-mail to Ford, Abrams, etc. It's just a movie character....

HanSolo29 , JorakUln, Dewback and 2 others like this.
  3. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    But what about the artistic integrity of the story.

Building the plot around a character's death because of an ultimatum by an actor is not the way to tell a story.

It might explain why the plot was so uninspired.

4. Sunbloom

Sunbloom Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I know how the plot should go from here, they will clone or resurrect Han, as a younger version of Han, played by Shia Labeouf! Problem solved.

BigAl6ft6 and Bigger Fish like this.
  5. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    I just don't think JJ/Kasdan/Kathleen and Disney big wigs would all go "Yes, we got HF back... so let's just kill him off even though he's the most popular character and part of why we will make tons of $". I think it is highly likely he did give them an ultimatum.

lbr789 and Bigger Fish like this.
  6. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    Don't give them any ideas. :p

Bigger Fish likes this.
  7. Sunbloom

Dec 18, 2015

They owe me $2 bln from now on! [face_waiting]

Bigger Fish likes this.
  8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Bingo.

Seriously, he had all the leverage here. I was so happy to see him enjoy being Han again. From countless interviews it's clear he enjoyed the whole experience but I'm sure he said he'd do 1 and 1 only. Then they wrote around it.

Bigger Fish likes this.
  9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

An older mentor character dies in both I and IV. Thematically, it seemed pretty likely SOMEONE was going to buy it, and probably one of the OT Three. I hate losing Solo too, but at the end of the day, it seems like his death DID serve to drive the story. I don't see an issue. In fact, almost every mention I've read of it says it was handled well within the story. No better way for a character to go, IMO. Solo always did seem like the kind of guy who would die with his boots on.

10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

It depends on whether or not you agree Han Solo should have died in the film or not. Personally, I think the character should have died in ROTJ - I felt that was a poor film, and is my least favorite of the franchise (so far, haven't seen TFA yet). However, I feel that Han Solo's death would have made that film much more dramatic & improved it to a great extent.

11. Bigger Fish

Bigger Fish Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 24, 2015
  12. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    While I think what you're saying is true, I respect Ford's decision.

And who cares anyway? They'll soon find a new actor to portray Han Solo. [face_dancing]Just imagine all the possible spinoff movies they can use for Han Solo in the timeline between ROTJ and TFA! Why do you think they ruined the relation between Leia and Han? So that they can produce a **** load of Han Solo movies of course!

13. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Han's character arc was done. He went from a greedy smuggler that cared about nobody but himself (and Chewie) to a man that loved his wife and evil son, even after being murdered by him. Seems like his arc was wrapped up brilliantly, to me.

thoso1973, Dareth, Ace08 and 4 others like this.
  14. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    I for one am glad Han got a satisfying farewell. Harrison was incredible throughout this movie, and his death scene is one of the best scenes in the entire saga. This was Han's last ride, and what a ride it was.

15. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Harrison Ford has believed Han should've died for the past 32 years, and TFA co-writer Lawrence Kasdan agrees with him, so this move wasn't made simply because Harrison made his return contingent upon it.

16. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Yes! This is why Ford wanted Han to die in ROTJ - to show how far the character had come; from being a selfish person in ANH to a much more compassionate person that cared about things bigger than himself (The Rebellion) & was willing to sacrifice himself to save others.

And, yes, I'm sure his death scene in TFA will go down as one of the best scenes in all 7 films....

17. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    This is nonsense. There is no evidence Ford demanded the character die. It's endless ******** that fans keep repeating.

He wanted Han to die in ROTJ. That's different than wanting the character to die.

DarthBreezy, Ace08, Yanksfan and 3 others like this.
  18. DantooineOrBust

DantooineOrBust Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Sorry dude, you sound like a crybaby. Movie making is a business and sometimes actors get to call the shots. It happened in the prequels (see Liam Neeson and Terrence Stamp). Those actors wanted nothing to do with Lucas after TPM. I fully believe Qui-Gon was set to be a force ghost throughout the whole trilogy the same way Obi Won was. Instead you just get a reference by Yoda at the end of ROTS about Qui Gon and his force ghosting abilities.

Sometimes in art, whether you are painting a portrait, recording a song, or making a movie, you have to work with the hand you are dealt.

So I'm sure it went something like this
    JJ-"Harrison, its JJ, would you be in for more Star Wars movies?"
    HF-"Not 3 for sure, but because I consider you and Kathleen friends, and Mark and Carrie are on board i'll come on for one"
    JJ-"Come on, how about two, we have this amazing story arc planned out"
    HF-"Love you JJ, but you got me for one. One or Nothing. What will it be?"
    JJ-"Let me get on the phone with Kasden! We can make this work".

So they had 3 options

1. Harrison for one film
    2. Harrison for no films
    3. New replacement Han Solo

I'm sure option 3 was never really a possibility. Mark and Carrie probably would have pulled out at that point. So they go with decision one. They have to wrap up his story. You can't just have the guy disappear. And he is not going to live forever.

So yea, he got to dictate the plot. So what. It happens everyday in Hollywood.

Dewback likes this.
  19. Sunbloom

Dec 18, 2015
    And the titles for Ep 8 and 9 will be:

Han Solo Comes Back and Return of the Solo.

20. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    What part of write SPOILER at the beginning did you not understand? wtf

21. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    We're in a Spoilers forum. Asking for a warning about spoilers is like asking for a warning that water is wet.

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  22. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    I didn't say NOT to write a spoiler, I said to give me a fair warning with one word. That's all. Not too much to ask.

23. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I think Han should've died in ROTJ in a heroic sacrifice.

JediRocks74 likes this.
  24. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Then explain why Liam Neeson reprised his role (as a force ghost/vision) for the Clone Wars for TWO episodes in 2011, when George Lucas was still running the show? I believe he wanted to be in ROTS but there may have been a schedule conflict?

DarthBreezy and SlashMan like this.
  25. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ I know what you said, but it's a silly request given where you're posting.

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.