main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    You can not recast Han Solo. That's honestly a worse idea than Jar Jar.

TKT likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    See I think you can make an interesting Solo without completely obliterating his progression over the OT. That's why I don't want to see him as a drunkard or back in his smuggling ways after leaving his family or something else like that that just tries to take the character back to his ANH days. By ROTJ he isn't that guy anymore so I think you start where he ended at ROTJ and build an interesting character from there that is still the Han we love but doesn't regress his character just so he can redo an arc he already had.

3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Humor. Humor. Humor.

I agree. I don't think he's going to 100% abandon the characteristics that made him who he was in ANH but at the same time he'll be a fairly respectable guy who at the very least isn't going to willingly cause any headaches for Leia. I suspect he'll be similar to Indy in the "a respectable guy who likes a little adventure and sometimes gets into trouble but gets everything resolved by the end of the story" type of character.

4. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

I totally agree. Making Han a loner again completely negates his character arc. The Han at the end of ROTJ is a VERY different Han to the one we see at the start of ANH. It makes no sense to turn that on it's head. Plus the fact he and Leia look like they are ready to buy a house!! I would like to see his character develop further, see him as a husband and father, and have a high rank in the (presumably) New Republic (?) military, maybe as an Admiral with his own fleet. To me that's far more interesting than sending Han back to his smuggler/loner days and start his arc all over again.

And to the person that said Leia would chose to be Jedi over being with him. SERIOUSLY? I don't buy that for a second.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't think Han was boring in Return of the Jedi. I just think it's nice to see him mature over a three-movie arc. In fact, his story arc is almost as interesting as Luke's.
    I agree with Darth Chiznuk - why have the character regress just to do it all over again? I like Han as a character, and I think it would be a great injustice to that character to basically say "He can't be the good guy", which is what you're suggesting. If he went back to his old ways after the first time he changed, what's gonna stop him from doing it again after this new arc? It would feel pointless.
    So nope, older, wiser Han - a family man, but still capable of being witty and sarcastic - that's what I want.

6. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014

[​IMG]

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Totally agree that he should not regress back into his smuggling ways. I know a lot of folks keep mentioning that he should be a high-ranking member of the new government's military, but I keep seeing a different path. Han never struck me as the type of guy to stay within the confines of a military for long. He would want a little more freedom to do his own thing and he wouldn't be the same without being behind the controls of his own ship. As a military commander, it's a good bet he would have people to do that for him. Instead of following a path in the military, perhaps he finds his way as the head of his own shipping business or something like that. He would still be around the thing that he loves and actively piloting them and it would still give him the opportunity to contribute to the new government's cause where need be.

8. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    This is why I compared Han to Indy in my previous post. I can see Han as being the guy the military goes to when they have a problem they can't necessarily solve with conventional forces or tactics.

Yanksfan and HanSolo29 like this.
  9. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013

Hmm, that idea of him with his own shipping business is a good one. Yeah, I could actually go along with that.

Echo Base likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder about the look they'll give Han in this movie. Maybe they'll give him the beard. A lot of us assume it's going to be Mark with one but what if Harrison rocks it instead? I've never thought of Han with a beard before but it could be a good look for him.

Granger likes this.
  11. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Definitely!!! The idea of him rising from small time ship owner to shipping baron is a great one! Imagine the Onedin Line in space. James Onedin was an even bigger scoundrel than Han or Lando. :D

That would be the coolest thing ever. :)

yodasbum and Claire1976 like this.
  12. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013

I don't know about a beard. Makes him more scruffy lookin' ;) But what about his clothes? I hope that they can think of something a bit different for him to wear this time round. I think Leia would insist he widen his wardrobe selection a bit :)

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012

If he's in the military still a nice military uniform would be appropriate but I'd also like to see him in something more casual as well. If he's a big shipping tycoon as HanSolo29 suggests I could see an updated version of his OT clothing. I thought he looked cool in that long Endor coat he had so maybe a trench coat or something like that.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not a fan of beards myself. I have no problem with stubble, though.

And dear God, please give the poor guy a new wardrobe! Something other than that same black vest and white shirt. There are ways to stick to that style without making it look like the guy never changes his clothes.

15. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    I know the black vest and white are shirt are kind of his trademark look, but would be great to see something a bit different.

T-R- likes this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think he should be a scruffy looking scoundrel who is captain of the Millennium Falcon, always shoots first, knows a few maneuvers, never gets taken without a fight, can imagine quite a bit, did say so before, takes orders from just one person, amazes even himself, still has a few surprises left in him, never wants you to tell him the odds, hasn't got time for anything else, likes the sound of that, isn't at fault, hates long waits, isn't the respectable one, flies casual, and knows you love him. :)

J_Girl, T-R-, TKT and 3 others like this.
  17. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    30 years have past since ROTJ. Having him start there would be a mistake. Something has to have happened in his life in the last 30years. The character has nowhere to go unless you take something away in his life. Something for him to overcome. Solo as a successful anything, married to Leia, friends with Luke and Chewie...it's so boring. Solo and Leia who have been broken up for years and don't talk thrust together again.... Now there's places for that character to go.

This is all assuming his character is significant enough to require an arc.

18. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Ugh. No, I hope they don't do that. That's too similar to Indy and Marion in Indy 4. Let's do something different this time. There's no reason why a married Han Solo can't still be interesting. He can just be interesting in different ways. Taking him back to the Solo of ANH would be pointless, as it would erase all the growth he had in the OT.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012

I'm not saying Han should be exactly like he was at the end of ROTJ just that you start there (basically a mature military leader and ready to start a relationship with Leia) and build his character forward instead of regressing him back to the selfish-out-for-himself smuggler we see in ANH. I've seen the character your describing and I personally have no interest in seeing him again unless I'm watching ANH. I want to see how Han has grown and matured since last I saw him not some deadbeat whose friends what nothing to do with. That would be depressing.

20. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Having just watched the ending of ANH on Spike TV a few minutes ago, can I just say that if Han gets killed off, they should bury him with that pendant they gave him at the end of EPIV. Or have a scene where there's a wall of awards for Captain Solo which his kid inquires about. Then have Han say something like "Chewie has more. He just doesn't accept them. Something to do with Wookies."

21. StarWarren

StarWarren Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2003
    I enjoyed Indy IV. So I'm looking forward to Indy V and VI if the rumors are true.

My prediction for Han Solo in VII is that he - at some point in the movie - will shoot his blaster and shoot first.

jaqen likes this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    They need to film Star Wars like RIGHT NOW. Harrison Ford looks awesome tonight at the Oscars. Perfect look for Han.

23. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    If he does bite it in VII, perhaps that might fuel a revenge kick for Leia?

24. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Right when the Indy theme started I thought it was the Star Wars theme and my mind immediately went 'IT'S HAPPENING!' But then I realised it was just Harrison....lol...

But still, it was a good look, I think the goatee could work for Han...

25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I thought Harrison was a little creaky in the beginning of KOTCS, but got more into character as the movie progressed. That probably worked for the story anyway though, and as others have said he was the least of that movie's problems. I don't hate it, but I still have a hard time embracing it on the level of the others.

As for Han, I've always kind of agreed with Harrison that he's a pretty boring character, but I sure wouldn't want anybody else to play him. The idea of a young Han Solo movie makes me nervous for all sorts of reasons. That said, I really like the idea of him owning a shipping company. It gets him back into his element but in a more respectable way and in a progression from where he was before he got involved in the rebellion. I'm not sure any of them really need to be career military officers post-galactic civil war, or even involved in public service at all until the ST. I think it could be kind of interesting if they've all settled into relatively quiet lives until something forces them back into action. Of course I'd still like to see Luke and Leia well-trained in the Jedi arts, and possibly passing on that knowledge, but it wouldn't have to be in any official capacity. Who knows, maybe the galaxy isn't ready for Jedi again until now. I'm getting off-topic though and I know there's another thread somewhere for that line of thinking, but I like the idea of them being legitimate in the private sector. Maybe Han and Lando are business partners even. That would make sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.