main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

From what I've seen, Rey is a pretty good pilot.

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  2. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    True, but you have to wonder how time she will have for that in future installments, kind of like Luke in ESB and ROTJ.

It also seems like they are doing an awful lot to set up Poe's backstory (Shattered Empire) just to kill him off after one film, but hey; who knows? You are the first person I have seen suggesting that Poe might be a one and done character.

3. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Han Solo will die a noble death in TFA. Its the perfect arc for his character. In ANH, we meet a Han Solo who is strictly in it for himself. Now we will see him giving his life for others. You wait and see. Harrison Ford will get his way.

4. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Harrison is very wealthy he does not act for the money. Forbes estimates he has $210m (it was probably way higher until he got divorced & had to give a lot ot his ex wife). I doubt he has had less than a high 9 figure bank balance since the late 1990s.

Personally even though I love Ford as Han Solo I think Mark Hamill is the real star of Star Wars OT so he should but probably (won't) be the main OT focus actor in TFA. I still think Harrison will appear to be dead onscreen then either re-appear at the end of the movie alive or injured recovering & or pop up in EP8 in a smaller cameo role (hopefully juggling it between Indy 5 & Blade Runner 2). Ford is logically also still most likely going to appear in the Young Han Solo film to give it some global appeal but good luck recasting Han Solo!! Who would want to see a young Han Solo movie if you know how the character already dies onscreen can anyone give me a good answer to that one!!

If your smart you just do not kill the main global box office draw (Harrison). To end the movie with a downer like that is very bad for repeat business people with young families will flock to PG but not so much for PG13 themes (the only way TFA will generate massive box office after the opening 2 weeks is if it retains repeat business/goodwill into early Jan then the box office always traditionally fades I still think Star Wars is an early summer franchise & always will be they should push it back to early May 2016).

No disrespect to anyone else in the movie (or on these boards) but most fans care something about the following OT characters living or dieing:

Luke
    Han
    Leia
    Chewie
    Millenium Falcon
    C3P0
    R2D2

That's about it everyone else is expendable you do not successfully relaunch Star Wars with a bunch of relative unknowns. Therefore Han lives none of the OT characters will truly die onscreen in TFA!!

Lets show a little optimism here ;)

5. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I would also guess his stipulation to play Han again was Han dies since he's been wanting him killed for a very long time...I can't see him caring about money..obviously he's loaded....I do agree with him though...Han probably should have died in ROTJ (not because I don't like him though).

Avnar and thejeditraitor like this.
  6. UberJediPaul

Apr 12, 2002
    Being allowed to make Indiana Jones 5 was his rumoured reason to do Han Solo!

cwustudent and DarthBane93 like this.
  7. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    If Han Solo dies (and I think UberJediPaul makes a good case that that's a big if), I do not think the sequel trilogy will recover. I think killing Han would ensure that way more than half of the casual fans would skip Episodes VIII and IX. ("My goodness, what's this? This isn't the Star Wars I grew up with. Ugh. I'm done.")

8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    So much LOLs there.

9. UberJediPaul

Apr 12, 2002
    Rodie and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I don't think he's been wanting him killed for a very long time. I think he wanted it back when they were making ROTJ, and then probably hasn't given it any thought one way or another since then. I mean, why WOULD he give it any thought? As far as anyone knew, the movies were finished then.

Also, I think we need to remember WHY Harrison felt the character should die-- mainly because (a) he felt the character had nothing more to contribute to the story, and (b) because Harrison wanted to move on to other roles. Regarding the first point-- He's right that Han didn't have much to do in ROTJ, but from what we're hearing that's not true in TFA. And regarding the second point, Harrison has done plenty of other roles, so I doubt he's still worried about only being seen as Han Solo.

Still, as I said before, I do agree that there's a good chance Han will die in this movie, but I don't think it's because Harrison has spent the past 30 years wishing the character would die.

Eternal_Jedi and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    good luck with that.

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Exactly. Just as more than half the Game of Thrones audience walked away after Ned Stark was killed. Wait...

13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Michael Caine is also very wealthy and he always acts for the money; he openly admits to this. Being wealthy does not necessarily mean that an actor doesn't just take the money and run sometimes.

Luke will be on screen for likely a few minutes at most in TFA. I know you don't wish to acknowledge this, but that's what you're getting come December. Fortunately for you and every other Luke fan however we are likely to see a lot more of him in VIII.

Harrison doesn't command the same box office appeal he did a generation ago; and Han most certainly dies in this movie.

I would agree that recasting a young Han is going to be tricky.
    There are millions of kids who will be going to see TFA this Christmas who have little or no idea whom Harrison is. Many of them will primarily identify with the younger cast members. Further, a lot of people who are casual fans and do know who he is, don't need Han in their SW; they just want to see a great movie. If Han is great in that movie, so much the better.
    Horrible things happen in SW all the time: Anakin being roasted alive for example. It is very important that this movie and those going forward do not pander to fan service, but tell a great story. JabbatheHumanBeing made the point that Game of Thrones killed off the lead character at the end of Season One. Truly great drama doesn't shy away from those sorts of things, so long as it serves the story.

TFA is likely the only SW movie that will get a mid-summer (your winter) opening. Rogue One and all the others going forward will have early-winter (your summer) releases. ;)

Pushing TFA back to a May '16 release will see it coincide with Rogue One's release. That isn't going to happen.
    Most of us diehard fans care about these characters yes, but they are all expendable if the story calls for it. It will be hard to see any of them go and I will probably bawl my eyes out when Han dies. But I will never take the position that they are not allowed to do this. The focus of the sequels will shift to the new characters even if the OT characters live. This is practically inevitable.
    They are relaunching SW with a combination of OT characters and a whole load of exciting new ones. That to me is the perfect way forward. Most fans on here at least are excited to see what the new cast bring to the table. This is their story after all and there is some exciting young talent in TFA. SW has to move forward; it cannot just rely on the older cast members. Millions of new young fans will readily identify with the younger cast and the toys and merchandise are aimed primarily at them, not old farts like me.
    To me you are being pessimistic as for you, everything hinges on Harrison and perhaps Mark. If they were not in this movie I'd be disappointed, but I would still be looking forward to an exciting new era of SW movies. TFA is going to make a ton of money regardless.

Also, acknowledging that Han dies in TFA is not an act of pessimism, so much as an act of realism. :)

14. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I am not sure he dies. He could, anything is possible considering we know next to nothing factual about this movie, but I think I read somewhere that he was cast for Episode VIII. Don't take that as fact, because you know this is the internet and all lol

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  15. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Agree on all points here. I would even say that most casual fans want to see TFA because this is his last hurrah. Those who will not watch VIII and IX because Han isn't in it are in a minority. TFA will generate so many new fans that they will far outnumber those who walk away from SW.

Little nitpicking: Rogue One comes out in December 2016, not May 2016.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

cwustudent and CairnsTony like this.
  16. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I think those of us that are older are playing down the emotional impact it will have on us when and if any of the OT heroes die.

It will be rough.

17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Thanks for that! Not sure how I got my wires crossed on that one... :p

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    we should have known it, Han Solo was the real 'New Hope' in the OT. [face_sigh] [face_sigh][face_sigh]
    [​IMG]

19. catlover43

catlover43 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2014
    Han dying will be hard to watch(grew up during the OT I was 6 when ANH was released). I don't think I could bear to see him to be stabbed like Qui Gon was or force choked.

Another thing...is the only reason why they are not releasing the novelization and soundtrack until the day the film released is due to Han dying?

20. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    There was an interview with Ford where he said he wished Solo died in some noble way. I think he might get his way. It would be a good story arc. The selfish pirate becomes a selfless hero.

Face it. There are already too many characters in this movie. Someone needs to go. I have a feeling its Han.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I believe it's just JJ being JJ and his obsession with keeping the story and its secrets under wraps. There's nothing that specifically points to the Han dying plot point as the definitive reason, but if that is what indeed happens, then you can bet that is one of the major things that they are trying to stay hush-hush about.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  22. Webogirl

Webogirl Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2004
  23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  24. Santar

Santar Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2014
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  25. DV75