main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    From the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35869648

When asked whether Han Solo, who is killed in the film, could return in some form to future movies in the franchise, Ford replied: "Anything is possible in space.
    "I wanted Han Solo to sacrifice himself for the good of the other characters to bring some gravitas to the story."
    Speaking about his involvement in the film, Ford said: "I was very pleased to have the opportunity to work with the other characters, to work on a script that I had real confidence in, with actors that were a dream to work with, with a director that had a very sure and generous hand, and it was altogether a pleasure."
    But Ford said he does not feel an emotional connection to the characters he plays.
    "I hope I bring an emotional understanding of the characters and something the audience will recognise," he said.
    "I want the audience to experience the character, not to feel that they know him but to be involved in seeing what happens to him."

He hasn't confirmed he directly influenced the script. If anything I took that to mean, he just followed the direction put in front of him.

Would love to see him back in some form, it's not the same Star Wars without Han for me.

2. pkthunder

pkthunder Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2016
    I think there's some misreading of what he said, the full quote was:
    “I think it’s a fitting use of the character, I’ve been arguing for Han Solo to die for about 30 years, not because I was tired of him or because he’s boring, but his sacrifice for the other characters would lend gravitas and emotional weight.”

He also has implied he isn't done with the Han Solo character and could be back for voice work or other appearances. Plus let's be honest, If he heavily influenced the script don't you think he would have lobbied his sacrifice be for the other characters and lend gravitas and emotional weight?

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    No news for me and I knew from the beginning that Ford wanted a larger role in TFA, Han to have an impact like dying for the greater good + having Luke out of the story. That was the prize for getting Ford back for 1 movie. o_O

4. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    That Ford wanted a "larger role in TFA" + "having Luke out of the story" was not the prize for getting Ford back.

It was the story, yes....simple as that : the story.

5. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    it wasn't the heroic sacrifice everyone was expecting, fans see Han Solo as a hero so they expect him to go down fighting in a blaze of glory and burned on a pyre. But the fact is that he dies alone on a quiet bridge stabbed in the heart by his son. but Harrison sees Han for what he truly is: a man plain and simple who's had a long life with many crazy adventures. He started out as a materialistic smuggler who only cared for himself and dismissed Obi-Wan as "an old fossil" and dismissed the force as a Hokey religion, through his adventures with Luke and Leia he came to understand what being selfless and having friends and fighting for the greater good is like. Now 32 years later he's the old fossil telling the new generation that the Force is real and he seen proof of it. Han is now a family man he has a son who's gone down a dark path and tries to help him come back to the light in any way possible even if it means he has to die to do it. And he knows he'll most likely will die in the attempt yet he still goes out there alone to try and save his son from a fate worse then death. and when he gets stabbed in the heart he doesn't try to take his killer with him he caresses his cheek as if to say "you're still my son and I love you" and I think Kylo touches his hand to doesn't he? anyway Han dies with the hope that maybe he pierced through the darkness a bit to let Luke and Leia in to redeem Ben.

long story short: Father sacrifices self to save his son from darkness. That's a pretty damn heroic thing to me

sorry for the rant lol

Sh3ppy, Nate787, JediMatteus and 4 others like this.
  6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    And really, I think it was the perfect kind of ending for such an iconic character. I know there are a lot of people harping out there about Han returning (especially after Harrison's coy response last night – but the guy likes to troll, so who knows what that even meant), but I think bringing the character back would be cheap and would take away from his ultimate sacrifice.

7. Imperial Reject

Dec 6, 2012
    yes I think he died the best way he possibly could have, he didn't die peacefully in his sleep of old age and he didn't die taking down a super weapon.he died trying to save a life. could he have lived for years after this event? yes he could have but I wouldn't want to see an 80 or 90 year old Han Solo. I remember in the Fate Of The Jedi books there was a scene of Han sitting in his chair watching the 6 o clock news with his granddaughter Allana and I'm thinking WTF? that's not Han Solo lol but I think maybe I've just contradicted myself lol

HanSolo29 likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it was the best decision for the character and the story so no matter who pushed for it I'm happy they did. It's still gut wrenching every time I watch Han go out onto that bridge though. :(

catlover43, JediMatteus, EHT and 2 others like this.
  9. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Han Solo isn't going away from the story. There are so many possibilities to integrate Han's presence and even Harrison Ford, especially with a trilogy arc that will probably end up with the lightside turn of his son.

"The face of my son" - I could just keep hearing the voiceover words echoed everytime Kylo Ren takes his mask off in 8 and 9. It might even make Kylo Ren more married to his mask going forward, because those words will haunt him.

10. Imperial Reject

Dec 6, 2012
    that's interesting about the mask, but what about his scar? will he view that as the price he paid for killing his Father or will he like us it to further differentiate Kylo Ren from Ben Solo? or maybe he'll just see it like "Cool now I'm even more like Grandfather!" or won't pay any attention to it at all

11. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

The scar will just be more of a reason to keep his mask on. A reminder of his weakness.

Sentiment.

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    In this instance I think Ford's instincts were correct with regard to the character in the OT. Han Solo's death would've better served the story in Return of the Jedi; only after consummating his love with Leia, though. Lucas's understandable sentimentality for his characters should have taken a back seat in this case. I enjoyed Han Solo in TFA. My only misgiving, Han's character regressed as a result of circumstances. I didn't feel that a character like Han should be " back to his old smuggler's ways".

I definitely think Han's purpose served now. Just a little late.

StoneRiver and starocean90 like this.
  13. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    Everytime we see him take his mask off he looms more and more like vader, the man he admires, but also more regret and confusion each time. :'(

14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't know if that confirms that Ford's the reason Han died, but I wouldn't be surprised.

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  16. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    Please let this be true.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  18. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    If you kind of Lucas and co you could make the argument that killing off Han might have distracted from Vaders death I spose that's the natural emotional climax to the film.

I'v no problem with Han dying in TFA but as you say I think his character regressed too much, it felt like less Han being used to push the story forward and more Han being wheeled out for nostalgic appeal until the end. I think he should have evolved into much more of an Obi Wan like character personally, that doesn't mean he needs to be po faced as Guinness wasn't and Gandalf even less so.

The film is IMHO hurt by Rey lacking this kind of mentor character outside of Maz being dropped in from nowhere briefly and I think it means her character ends up poorly defined relative to Luke.

LoveThis, iluvkoalas and leiamoody like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    rotj was a happy ending and a good stopping point if that's where you wanted to stop. it makes much more sense going forward for a mentor to die in the first act of a new trilogy and it wasn't going to be luke.

tpm - qui gon
    anh - obi wan
    tfa - han

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I just realized that Han had command of the Millennium Falcon for less than probably a day before he died. Talk about discouraging.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't know why I find this so funny, but every time I see it I can't stop laughing.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    it really is gut wrenching. Harrison pulled it off. He took a character he had not played in 32 years, and brought it to life again. It was this success, that made it that much harder to see him die.

23. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    The subtitles help with that.
    [​IMG]

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah. You could tell Harrison enjoyed playing the character again too.

JediMatteus likes this.
  25. Santar

Santar Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2014
    Believe it or not but Harrison Ford is set to reprise the role of Han Solo.
    In the upcoming Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens video game!
    Personally I think it's pretty awesome of him to do this, and very unexpected too as he's never done any real voiceover work before, not even for animated movies like Pixar.
    They've released a new trailer too and his acting sounds pretty good from the few lines we can hear. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.