main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Harrison Ford: "I'm looking forward to it."

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Mar 19, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As far as Harrison Ford interview questions reactions in his twilight years, this is basically him jumping for joy. You have to decode Ford-speak.

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah, that's about as enthusiastic as I've ever seen him.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    What if Ford had said: "I have a bad feeling about this"? ;)

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't think it is that simple at all. I'd wager that he isn't really enthusiastic, but sees it as a way to make a nice payday and get back in the limelight again. He may feel an obligation to do it "for the fans" even though he cringes thinking about. The guy's career is slowly dwindling and that must be tough to stomach for a former guaranteed box office superstar. It is not simple at all, it is in fact very complicated.

He spouted off a couple of generic PR sentences, to think they actually meant anything genuine is taking a serious leap. We can't conclude either way what his true feelings are based on a couple of cookie cutter sentences. I personally don't think his long time disdain for the subject has all of a sudden gone away because he mumbled that he was excited.

Darth Claire likes this.
  5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Dwindling? He has like 4 movies coming out this year alone. He's a busy man, even if he isn't the lead romantic hero anymore. He seems like a guy who wants to keep working because he likes what he does.

I, for one, can't wait to see him in "42". I'm a huge baseball fan, and I read that he lobbied really hard to play Branch Rickey. And I can't wait to see him reprise the role that made me a Harrison Ford fan in the first place. Bring on Han Solo.

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    All that aside. IF he is gonna be in E7, and it seems increasingly likely that he is, then he isn't going to be anywhere near the character we remember (for me he was best in ANH and ESB) still great in ROTJ but slightly watered down. Don't get me wrong it's gonna be great to see the OT3 returning and I think it's important that they do. Solo will always be Solo, but if your expecting to see a swashbuckling, roguish ladies man? Then I think you' ll be disappointed. Maybe I'm wrong.

8. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    What was his last good movie? Cowboys vs aliens was decent, that's about it. Say what you want about the last Indy movie, but a lot of people hated it (me included). He's had a long string of forgettable and/or bad movies over the past decade. Hollywood Homicide. Extraordinary Measures. Morning Glory. Firewall. I don't have time to pull the box office numbers but I am guessing few or none of those did well. Cowboys vs Aliens may have done well, but that is because it had one of the current generation of leading men in the starring role, a certain James Bond.

Is he the lead in the upcoming films, or a secondary character? Because I don't think Hollywood is casting him as the leading man any more. His days in the spotlight are likely over, and he may see this as a way to recapture it.

9. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Actually, I got curious, here are the box office numbers for his recent films:

Indy 4:$317,101,119
    Morning Glory: $31,011,732
    Extraordinary Measures: $12,068,313
    Firewall: $48,751,189
    Hollywood Homicide: $30,940,691
    Crossing Over: $455,654 (straight to DVD! ouch!)
    Cowboys and Aliens: $100,240,551

Indy was big, because Indy was going to be big, no matter what. Cowboys and Aliens was big because of Daniel Craig, not Harrison Ford - and even that film didn't do great. Aside from those two films, Ford has had a positively horrendous decade. He's in the "people will be thrilled to see you in a cameo, but won't pay to see you be the star" mode, quite clearly. Which means that a big payday/spotlight for Star Wars may be appealing to him, even if he still hates the subject.

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  11. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I agree, I don't think he is primarily driven by the money - I think it probably is more about the chance to get back in the spotlight, even if he has to grin and bear it.

The money numbers I quoted were merely to show that his recent films have mostly done quite poorly. Abysmal in some cases.

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I see it more as a way to transition his career. Of course he's not going to be the main lead - Hollywood, for the most part, is a young person's game. The two roles I know most about are as Branch Rickey in 42 and the General in Ender's Game. Both would be considered supporting roles, I would think.

Having seen a few of those movies on your list, I'd say that yep, most of them were not box office record setters. But if he delivered a performance worth watching, I'd say his part in them was successful. I enjoyed a few of them myself.

But whatever. It sounds like he's coming back. I'm happy about that. Others are not. It is what it is, as usual.

13. Darth Lycan

Darth Lycan Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 28, 2013
    Saw him on CNN this morning talking about epVII and he stated its almost a done deal.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    it does seem more like he's doing it for the chance to get more recognition again than because he really wants to play the part (if indeed he is actually doing it).

Pay may not be a driving factor, though I'm willing to bet Disney will offer a decent amount in order to tempt the former leads back should they have doubts.

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    A link?

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank God for our crack team of psychologists working diligently to decipher Harrison Ford's inner motivations. At this rate, we will probably know whether he will put any actual effort into the script before anyone gets to the cinema... that way nobody will be disappointed.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe if he doesn't Twitter for a week, this will mean that he's the main character!!!!!!

18. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    You'd rather talk about the Ahsoka spin-off perhaps? Power converters? There is literally nothing to talk about at this point. We're spinning our wheels, grasping at straws.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We're spinning our wheels, grasping at straws.

I appreciate your honesty.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think krtmd said it best in regards to a 'dwindling' career. He has four films coming out this year and while he may not be in a starring role, I feel it's a natural progression for him. Although, I'm not so certain that he really wants to get back into the 'limelight', so to speak. That was never really his thing - he has always been very humble in regards to his career and how he became successful. And really, how Episode VII seems to be shaping up, it appears as if the Big Three will be in more of a supporting role anyway. But if there's one thing for certain, it's the fact that his name still draws in the crowds.

Also, to comment on the whole "disdain for Star Wars" subject, he has been easing himself into it over the past couple of years. He started signing Star Wars autographs for Topps years ago (around 2005?) for one of their anniversary sets and then that spread to private signings for Official Pix, among others. He also attended the ESB 30th anniversary screening and even did a shout-out to fans at Celebration V in Orlando. To fans, all of this was really something special, considering he never did anything like that in recent years. Not to mention, his surprise appearance at Comic Con a few years back. For a long time fan of his, all of this was uncharacteristic for someone as very private as he was. As I said earlier in the thread, it's a sign that he's mellowing out a bit and starting to give back to the fans. It's actually very nice to see. I say bring on Han Solo! :D

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I looked for it myself but all I could find was a CNN report that replayed the video of him saying he was looking forward to it.

22. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't understand some people on this forum. If Hamill, Ford & Fisher weren't in episode 7 there would be a massive outcry about why not. Of course they'll be in it, they'll be playing much older versions of their original characters and I'm personally looking forward to seeing our hero's in their later years. I doubt (with the exception of hamill) that they'll be main characters but they'll be the bridge between the new & old trilogy.

23. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well I gotta put that Bachelors degree in Psychology to use somehow...

24. Darth Lycan

Darth Lycan Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah I happened to be watching CNN this morning & heard them mention Harrison ford & epVII I don't recall the exact wording, but it appeared to be different video than on page 1 of this thread, but I may be wrong?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's cool. I hope you're right because I'd love to see it. :)