main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Harrison Ford: "I'm looking forward to it."

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Mar 19, 2013.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Why not Lan Calrolo?

2. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Ford's career is marked by several high profile blockbuster films, interspersed with other lower budget films that typically tend to do well at the box office, it's not as if every film he stars in is a huge hit (and that goes for any star). In addition to that, his films have good track records on the home video and TV markets. He's entering the latter part of his career, and with that comes a change of direction for an actor. Recently, as we all know, he's taken on more supporting roles, such as in Extraordinary Measures, Morning Glory, Cowboy and Aliens, as well as several of the films he has upcoming on his slate.

For the films you've listed above, you've only included domestic totals, which is fine, but remember international grosses are becoming more and more important each year. A few of those films, for example, had their grosses doubled or nearly doubled after foreign totals. Indy 4, for example, nearly reached $800 million. Crystal Skull had several issues, but Ford was not one of them, in fact, I'd argue he was probably the best thing about the film. Morning Glory was a Rachael McAdams film, with a nice supporting part played by Ford (at least I thought so). Cowboys and Aliens was a mess, on more levels than one. I think something like 80 billion writers worked on that film, and it went through several overhauls, and ultimately, due to the talent involved (Craig, Ford, Favreau) it did end up becoming a blockbuster that underperformed.

Crossing Over is sadly another film in the long list of films neglected and hindered by the Weinstein brothers. Director Wayne Kramer had quite an ordeal getting the film made, and it was not released straight to DVD, but rather, unceremoniously dumped into limited theaters, as the Weinstiens do on occasion.

For that past decade, you forget to include K-19 (which did under perform) and What Lies Beneath, which was a hit.

He's got four films coming out this year where he's a supporting actor or part of an ensemble. 42 is looking like it might be a pleasant surprise. Ender's Game and Anchorman 2 should end up being hits, and Paranoia will probably end up being a small sleeper hit. On top of that, he's got at least two other known projects in pre-production (You Belong to Me, and Black Hats, well, and maybe some disillusion fans might insist Indy 5). This is probably one of the busiest times Ford has had in recent memory, and again, while he may not be at the super blockbuster star level, he's still working and making films he enjoys.

Appearing in a Star Wars movie will no doubt increase public spotlight for him, but I think at this point in his career, he's beyond that. Ultimately, if the story is good and the appearance of his character (and Hamill's and Fisher's) makes sense, I think he will appear in the sequel film, but it will be more for nostalgia and for bringing his career full circle. All three OT characters are going to have supporting roles, so it's not like they're going to have huge paychecks, either.

But he definitely doesn't have a dwindling career.

HanSolo29 , TreborSabreon and krtmd like this.
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think the main reason he want's to be in EP7 is to give his career a boost as it's been lacking since Indy 4 & the pay chq of course but I secretly hope Ford would like to see the old gang back together & relive the glory days.....

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    What Lies Beneath (2000) and K-19 (2002) were both over a decade ago, which is why I did not include them in my figures. K-19 made only $35 million domestic/$30million international. I'd say that What Lies Beneath was his last non-Indy hit as the star, and that was 13 years ago.

We seem to be engaged in a battle of semantics. Some here take issue with the phrase "dwindling" and prefer to say "he has moved on to a new phase in his career." I think we can all agree that he's no longer seen by Hollywood as a viable leading man - he's a cameo/supporting kind of guy now. Whether or not he is happy with that natural progression of events, we'll never really know. Publicly it will always be in his best interests to say he enjoys the films he is working on and the opportunities that come his way. Maybe that's the truth, maybe he's just saying what he has to say. Who knows.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Source?

6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]
    It already fit him in RotJ.

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Only because he wasn't acting at all like a real general. As far as I know the highest field rank is Colonel. So no, it didn't fit him. They should've made him a Colonel in the first place.

Star Wars was always weird when it comes to military ranks.

8. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Probably because George was never in the military...;)

...but no, I don't see him as an old General. I see him resigning his commission the minute the last of the Imps are mopped up. Whoever had the idea of the cargo shipping business...NICE! :cool:

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Why would I want to watch the big three in starring roles in a Sequel Trilogy set 30-40 years after the Classic Trilogy?

If the ST was set closer to ROTJ, and was started not long after, I could see it:

1. Having Luke/Leia/Han and possibly Lando having major roles

2. Their paychecks being huge.

However, with the sequel trilogy being set 30-40 years after, I just do not see them being the leading characters and getting boatloads of money either...

Darth Claire likes this.
  10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Just what I thought. This is your opinion on what you want, so please don't post this as facts.

However, as has been shown in many threads, the only facts we have regarding the ST come from Lucas interviews where he has described the ST as focusing on a 60 year old Luke Skywalker. Funny enough, the only new character he ever referenced is a female love interest for Luke.

None of this comes as a surprise to anyone that has been following Lucas' quotes since 1983, or has read them.

Unfortunately for you, the ST is based on what Lucas wants and can see, not you.

As for why someone would "want to watch the big three in starring roles in a Sequel Trilogy set 30-40 years after the Classic Trilogy," I'd say because it is what Lucas has planned, it concludes the story, it shows something other than another young hero being called to adventure and being tempted by the darkside. Not to mention it's what Lucas has described the ST as since at least 1983.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To be fair, he could have posted "Common Sense" as his source and been spot on...

EDIT:
    Oh... and...
    I'd say because it is what Lucas has planned
    Source?

Darth Claire likes this.
  12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    To be spot on he should have posted what Lucas considers to be the story of the ST as he described in multiple interviews since 1983.

Common Sense says that the ST will follow Lucas' format and descriptions.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Just what I thought. This is your opinion on what you want, so please don't post this as facts."

14. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I just posted what I thought. However, it all boils down to what Lucas set in stone...

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    You want quotes and sources? Here are but a few, that EXPLICITLY tell you what Lucas has planned for the ST:

Bantha Tracks, 1980:
    BT: At one point, there were going to be twelve Star Wars films.

George Lucas: I cut that number down to nine because the other three were tangential to the saga. Star Wars was the fourth story in the saga and was to have been called "Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope". But I decided people wouldn't understand the numbering system so we dropped it. For "Empire" though we're putting back the number and will call it Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. After the third film in this trilogy we'll go back and make the first trilogy, which deals with the young Ben Kenobi and the young Darth Vader.

BT: What is the third trilogy about?

Lucas: It deals with the character that survives Star Wars III and his adventures.

Time Magazine 1983:
    In the sequels Luke will be a 60 years old Jedi Knight. The sequels focuses mainly on Luke and Mark Hamill will get the first crack at the role if he's old enough. If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves; the middle trilogy is more about personnal
    growth and self-realization and the third deal with morals and philosophicals problems. The sequals are about Jedi Knighthood, justice,
    confrontation and passing on what you have learned."

Time, 1983:
    "Though Lucas has no immediate plans for Han, Leia or Luke, that does not mean he will not come up with some in the next decade or so. If he does carry the story any further, he will go back to the beginning to make a prequel. Only after that ---and certainly not before the 1990's-- would he do the sequel and show what happens to the Star Wars trio after Jedi.

"The sequels, the three movies that would follow Jedi, are considerably vaguer. Their main theme will be the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from worng. Luke, who will then be the age OBI-WAN KENOBI is now, some place in his 60's, will reappear, and so will his friends, assuming the creator decides to carry the epic further."

"Right or wrong this is my movie, this is my decision, and this is my creative vision, and if people don't like it, they don't have to see it."
    --George Lucas

Bill Warren. "George Lucas: Father of the Force". Starlog #127, February 1988.
    Luke would have a romantic relationship with a female love interest

1989 interview:
    "I had taken two-thirds of the original script and thrown it away. In my mind I was saying, 'Gee, if this is a really big hit, then I can make a movie out of all the early material that I developed.' Empire and Jedi were what that first film was supposed to be. And after that I can tell another story about what happens to Luke after this trilogy ends...(talks briefly about PT)...The other one - what happens to Luke afterwards - is much more ethereal. I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that."

So yeah, I'd say we know what Lucas has planned - he already told us.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hell yeah, a Source War!

17. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh god not the "Luke is the main character!/No he isn't!" War again. It never seems to end

lbr789 and fishtailsam like this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    and it won't until it's confirmed either way. But until then, when Chorus wants to talk about common sense and sources, his side will lose every time.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I didn't know we had "sides" here.

fishtailsam likes this.
  20. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003

So what happens to all these quotes when Lucas changes his mind?;)

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, what Lucas HAS planned as of 1980. Based on the context alone, I will bank every dime I own on this information.

Darth Claire likes this.
  22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Guess you didn't see Darth Claire's post above ;)

Here's the problem with your argument right here as there has been NO indication what so ever that he has changed his mind on the story he has had in place for the past 30 years.

If he changed his mind, then these quotes obviously won't apply. Until there is any evidence that he has changed his mind, 20 year old data all points to one thing. The same 20 year old data gave us the basis for the PT that was made, why would you think the same data wouldn't apply now?

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Figures you didn't read the quotes, because they went from 1980-1989. Not "as of 1980." These were cotninued up until Lucas said there would be no ST.

Please provide me one quote from Lucas talking about any character besides Luke as the main character in the ST. I will bank every dime I own that you can't.

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That's how you win a debate folks......with a yawning smiley.
    ^:)^