main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I noticed that we have threads for both Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher being in Episode VII but when I did a search for Harrison Ford I saw none. :( I usually don't make thread because most of the topics are already redundant but I thought it wasn't right to have the other two without one for Harrison as well.

So here it is... Harrison Ford in Episode VII... discuss. How big will his role be? How will Han Solo have changed in the 30 years since Endor? Anything related to Han Solo and/or Harrison Ford in Episode VII.

Personally, I'm for it. I like Han Solo. :p

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Don't get cocky, kid.

3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    In b4 recast debate.

StoneRiver, Immortiss, lbr789 and 7 others like this.
  4. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I am wondering if it's true about Harrison's contract negotiations (getting a commitment to do Indy 5 and 6 in exchange for doing Star Wars)...

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think he got a big fat cheque & the Indy 5 & 6 deal to boot........

6. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I have not seen Indy IV but I know of its poor reputation (nuking the fridge!) How, though, was Harrison's performance as an older Indy? Did he bring any extra dimensions to the role? That will probably give us some idea of how he might approach an older Han.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

He was simply an older Indy. Nothing new. I felt the movie was really disappointing. I sure hope a 5 and 6 go back to the ways of the first 3.

Echo Base likes this.
  8. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I hope he develops ageing Han a bit more than, otherwise he runs the risk of descending into self-parody.

acroyear7, StoneRiver and Dra--- like this.
  9. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Indy IV was disappointing, but not because Ford is older. As for Han Solo, I can't wait to see him.

10. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Would be a nice dynamic to have Solo's character "activated" in the narrative because Luke has gone missing; hearkening back to the beginning of ESB.

11. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    The real question is: Does Chewbacca live with Han & Leia & their kids?

Chewbaccon likes this.
  12. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Harrison was, for me, the one excellent thing about Indy IV. He was obviously still Indy with maturity of someone in there 60's. He was definitely not a parody. I said I believed that he would would be back when episode VII was announced.i don't believe that Harrison has ever said he hated Star Wars or came to hate the character of Han which again for me is a myth that seems to get perpetuated about him. There is a difference hating your character and seeing a reason why he should die. At the Ned of the day Han was a secondary character in both A New Hope what is his screen time an hour?) and Jedi. He was co lead in Empire and in a way dominates that film until that line!

I often find it hard to see how Han and Leia could stay together. Not so much because of his character but because they would have so many issues to deal with. Leia would be a fruit loop after what she went through- abused by her father and Jabba and nearly getting it on with her own brother. However, I think that splitting them up would be just as cheap as keeping them together in a perfect relationship. So showing that they have issues in their relationship would be the path that I would take. Obviously the EU has portrayed Leia as the state head at lest when I read the earlier EU books I dropped out when Phantom menace came out. I think it would be more interesting if Han became the politician and that would also free Leia up to become a Jedi.

I would kill Luke in VII- big impact, most powerful piece removed from the board and he can return as a force ghost.

Han I would kill in VIII to remove the next powerful character and leave the way for the kids to truly take over.

I would hope that Chewie has his own life and not permanently stuck to Han's side but that they are reunited in action at some point. Whatever happens Harrison usually nails it and I have every faith in him been directed by JJ.

DL44Jo likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm definitely for Ford (for Ford... tongue twister! :p ) in Episode VII. Beyond that? Very doubtful. For many reasons, it makes sense for Han Solo to die in some sort of heroic action (the same goes for Leia & Luke as well; this is only 1 option of course)... I just don't know if it would work for a multiple film re-appearance for Solo. It's going to be somewhat of a stretch to have him back to begin with, so I'd rather see him utilized greatly in 1 film than stretched out for iffy reasons among multiple films.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The last time we saw Han Solo he had an Ewok clutched to his leg and Lando was dancing next to him like John Tesh at a Ke$ha concert. Even though the idea of Han dying is an extremely unpleasant one for me, it's also a way to give this legendary character a more powerful send off than the one Jedi provides.

Since Kasdan agreed with Ford back in '82/'83 that Han should die in Jedi, and because Kasdan co-wrote the final draft of Ep. VII with Abrams, there's even more reason to believe that Han will be one and done here.

CaptainRegor and DarthSpaced like this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Despite what many people claim, Harrison's portrayal of an older Indiana Jones in IndyIV i just as good as his portrayal of a younger Indiana Jones in the earlier movies. Somewhat different because he's older and has been through a world war and some personal losses, but still very much Indy! I think a lot of people were so dissapointed in the film itself, that they can't even concede to the point that Harrison was still as good as ever. I don't particularily like the film to be honest, but I still watch it every time I revisit the Indy series, just because I enjoy seeing Harrison in the role.

Well, he did state in an interview some ten-or-so years back that he couldn't imagine himself ever sitting in a space ship next to a smelly wookiee again, or something to that effect. I don't think he ever hated Star Wars (in fact, he has often spoken highly of the films), he just wasn't too fond of the experience itself.
    EDIT: and come to think of it. He absolutely hated the experience of working on Blade Runner, but he has still expressed interest in playing Deckard again in the upcoming Blade Runner sequel. I think he can separate his own enjoyment of the experience and the artistic value of the work. He is a man of integrity... as well as, I guess, Air Force One...

Maybe Chewie spends all his time with Mala and Lumpy on Kashyyyk now, since his elderly (and slightly dirty) father has probably passed away by this time :p
    No, but seriously, I kinda like your idea. That could be a very emotional scene for both the characters and the audience. The reunion of old friends who haven't seen each other for years - both for them and us.

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think Ford "hated" the character of Han Solo. I think he disliked being only associated with Han.

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure he'll play a somewhat unorthodox military type. If he kept his rank and stayed in the New Republic service, that's where I expect to find him. Lando is more of the trader, business, politics type than Han.
    Dunno if he'll die, though. There is no need to kill off every single character from OT in order to pass the torch.

18. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014

I've never been able to understand why actors would dislike being associated with the character that made them famous. It's not like he never made another movie in his life. [face_dunno]

19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Most actors want to expand their movie credentials and not be limited to paying a certain genre.

Darthclader likes this.
  20. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    But he's played all sorts of characters, imho. He's had a fruitful career. I don't think he can complain about having been typecast because of Han Solo.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000148/

DL44Jo and plaidphoenix like this.
  21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Most of his gripes about Han Solo occurred earlier in his career..

DL44Jo likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really like the idea that Chewie and Han aren't glued to the hip and Chewie's off doing his own thing. Maybe Chewie took over for Jabba and is the big boss of the underworld. But, you know, like a good gangster. :p

Going back to Indy IV, I like the movie but it's definitely not my favorite of the Indy movies. That said, my problems with it have nothing whatsoever to do with Ford's performance as Indy. He is IMO the biggest bright spot of the entire thing and I have no doubt that he'll knock Han Solo out of the park.

I'd like to see Han in somewhat of unorthodox role and one that we may not expect to see him. I think he'd stay in the military after Endor where he could help the New Republic in his own way since I don't see him as a politician and he's obviously not a Jedi. But by the time the ST starts he's now retired and settled down with his family on Corellia. Now he's an instructor at the Republic Academy but isn't exactly happy just teaching and not doing any of the fighting. He yearns to get back into the cockpit of the Falcon with Chewie and the gang and of course before the film ends something forces him to do that very thing. I think that would give him a nice arc whether he dies or not.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Let the EU-changes begin: Chewbacca is now Talon Karrde! [face_hypnotized]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Let's face it, Harris Ford is old, he hated playing Han Solo and still hates the character, Indy IV sucked all around and he hasn't made a decent movie in over a decade. It's time to start considering a recast of Han Solo. :D

Obi-Wan Catnobi and julianzolo like this.
  25. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I've said it before. My best hope is that ep7 starts with Han isolated and cut off from his friends. Chewie and him haven't talked for years and Leia chose the force over him. Solo is at his most boring when he has everything together (ROTJ). His character needs something to overcome like his pride. By the end of the film he can be reunited through their trials. But the last thing I want to see is a successful happy Solo with a family and friends. He should be alone and bitter. At least to begin with.

SkywalkerOG, Nunquam and StoneRiver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.