main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Also Kasdan always wanted to kill off Han. Without Lucas to reign him in, I'm sure he'll go through with it

2. kaustin7

kaustin7 Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2013
    I agree with the speculation that if Han Solo is featured heavily then it probably means he will not be around for the other Episodes. I haven't caught up with all of the posts but I think that it also paves the fast-track for a young Han Solo movie. It also opens him for the next Indiana Jones movies if they don't reboot immediately

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Honestly, most of those rumors started through fan speculation based on Ford's desire to have Han die during the filming of ROTJ. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen this fan theory show up anywhere else. And there is a theory that if an actor is closer to the director, he has a bigger role? Really? That's really grasping at straws. While there could be some meaning behind their seating arrangement (such as character relations within the story), I highly doubt it has anything to do with how large their roles are. Or maybe we're all looking far too much into this and there is no meaning behind their seating arrangements at all. Imagine that!

Finally, I wanted to comment on the latest rumor concerning Han now having a gigantic role. Several people seem to be interpreting that as bad news in terms of Han surviving through Episode VII. Consider this – after what happened with ROTJ with Han having nothing to do, what if they beefed up his role on purpose to satisfy the wishes of Ford and to ensure that he will carry through to the next two installments? You know, actually give him a meaningful character arc. I seem to remember a rumor a while ago alluding to that very thing. It's something to think about at the very least.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *re-classifying thread, based on recent announcement.

5. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I'd beyond super pleased if Han had a role (an important one) through ALL 3 films!

IMO it makes perfect sense. Han is one of the most beloved characters. He's been absent in Star Wars for 30 years. And supposedly the PT haters say a character like his is one of the things lacking in the PT. So why only bring him back for one film after 30 years? They should milk his popularity for all three films. Even Disney knows that's good for marketing.

TKT likes this.
  6. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    "All "rumors" point to Han dying in EP7 (rumor being he only signed on for one ST film). Also the theory is the closer an actor is to the director, the bigger the role. Since Ford is right next to JJ that might mean he's for the biggest role, they might kill him off. "

That's just not true at all.

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I haven't actually seen any rumors that Han would die or that he's only signed on for one film, so I don't know where this is coming from. In fact the only rumor about him that I've seen is that he was signed on for all three.

TKT, CaptainRegor, Dewback and 4 others like this.
  8. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

Source? Someone else said he was only signed on for 1 in some thread earlier today.

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    If I remember correctly, I believe it was JediNews for whatever that's worth, but I have yet to see any actual rumors (read: not just fan speculation) that said otherwise.

10. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Oh, man. I do hope you're right, Mystery Roach. Han for three movies? That'd be awesome.

And even if he only signed on for one movie, that still doesn't mean anything. Maybe he's just pulling the same trick he did back in the day. Even during the OT, he only signed on for one movie at a time. So, really? We don't know anything at this point…well, we knew more than yesterday, but you know what I mean….

agentkrycek and Mystery Roach like this.
  11. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    As far as Ford sitting closer to the director in the script reading makes sense if he has a lot of lines (big role). The director is directing, and needs to concentrate on the actors with more lines. Notice Anthony Daniels is sitting across the room as he probably has a few lines here and there.

Also there are roumors like this with no souce:

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/04/rumor-harrison-ford-to-have-gigantic.html

12. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

But oddly all of these rumors that were posted before the announcement...have been true. (at least in this article)

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't think anyone is contesting the 'gigantic' role part. That may very well be true and it does fit in line with the rumors that we've heard several months back regarding Abrams and Kasdan expanding the roles of the Big Three with their revisions. However, no where in that article does it mention the possibility of Han dying, which is what I was referring to earlier. That, again, is all purely fan speculation at this point.

14. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Typically in a table read you are seated with principals sitting closest to the director and fan out with lesser roles at the end of the table. They are sitting in a circle, so the group at the middle of the circle would have few lines (where Luke, Daniels and Domhnall are seated). I would guess episode VII probably focuses on the Solo clan with Luke being brought into the story later... maybe the Solos have to find him. Who knows.

Yancy

15. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    As far as I remember that whole myth that Harrison wanted Han to die was because after TESB he did not know that Luke and Leia were siblings and he wanted Luke to get the girl... I think that the groups that are seated together are those who share the most scenes together. IIRC from the Making of TPM Jake LLoyd sat across from GL, like Mark in the pic... So acording to this we have the Solos with their daughter and Chewie, Luke, 3PO and his padawan/son (Gleeson) and the motley crew of Serkins, Boyega and Isaac. Driver the bad Guy is all by himself...

T-R- likes this.
  16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm guessing now that the "rumors" of Han's death are referring to the pure speculation of Quint on AICN based on his expanded role. AICN doesn't get those kinds of scoops and hasn't for a long time. Quint wasn't claiming any inside knowledge by suggesting that.

17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Harrison wanted Han to die early on in ROTJ because he felt that Han's character arc was pretty much finished by the end of ESB and that there was nowhere for the character to go. I love ROTJ, but I kind of agree with him on Han's role in that movie. Harrison was good, but Han was just kind of there going along for the ride. I could definitely see them giving Han a big role in this movie and a bit of character progression, and then having him die in a heroic sacrifice (like Harrison also wanted). I suspect that they very well might kill of one of the big three just to really shake things up and set up possible plot-lines moving forward, and Han makes the most sense.

18. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    I like this idea.

I'm hopeful they start at a low point where the galaxy is still rusting and the characters are scattered rather than a high point with Luke as the Grand Poobah of the Resurgent Jedi Order or something.

Star Wars is at its best when it's low fantasy. When you explain everything, it kind of guts the mystery of it all (i.e. midichlorians).

19. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    But that'd essentially just be the beginning or ANH again. The Galaxy is a mess and the heroes are scattered. That doesn't sound very interesting to me. I don't want to see the PT again, but a certain amount of stability is necessary. These characters should have grown and progressed over the last 30 years, not fallen apart.

TKT and ChildOfWinds like this.
  20. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Ford seems the least enthusiastic of the "Big 3" about Star Wars. He hates questions about it and will most likely not enjoy promoting Episode 7. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he agreed to come back ONLY if it was for just one film, so a heroic death could be on the cards.

21. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    And then the whole beginning with Jabba would've been pointless.

TKT likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Not necessarily. He might have died during the Jabba scene to save the others.

23. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    ...who were only there to save him in the first place.

24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Sorry for the double post but the last one was days ago...

Anyway, I'm really not liking this rumor that Han is the central character of Episode VII, but I have a sneaking suspicion it will turn out to be true. Leaving aside the fact that he's pretty much my least favorite character in the saga, which is not to say I don't like him at all, this is the exact type of "fan service" that I don't want in the ST, because it shows a distinct lack of understanding and respect for the core of the Star Wars story in favor of just trying to give people what they think they want from a SW movie because it's something they liked in previous ones. If true, I think that's a pretty lazy way of approaching the next chapter of what should be an ongoing saga in which Han is really not one of the most important characters, and has always been the type of thing I've been afraid of in having a fanboy like J.J. in charge.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Does anyone think that Ep VII Han will have decided to embrace the teachings of the Jedi (Luke) and believe in what he once called a hokey religion after seeing Luke (and Leia) use it and teach it to the next generation of padawans?

Part of me wants to believe he will, but part of me thinks that it would not be part of his character. One of the reasons I want to believe he will is that just in case he does die or sacrifice himself for the greater good that he can come back as a Force ghost. Of course, on the flip side, he has the "blaster at your side" cowboy rep and that should continue to be the Han we know. (IF he does sacrifice himself, does the Falcon get destroyed in the process also?)

I guess I'm grasping on how he will be utilized in this film and the future films. I know as Indiana Jones he continued to do physical stuff, but he's getting up there in age. Will he be strictly in pilot only mode? Fixing the ever breaking Falcon? Swooping in to save the day?

I know a lot of people are guessing he'll be in "daddy" mode, and while that's great, it isn't very interesting. Especially with Chewie at his side, I want to see them having fun, getting in adventures, saving the day, all the things he did in the OT that made us fall in love with him in the first place. My fear is he and the original cast will feel like Marion in Crystal Skull movie; cool to have her back, but not really needed. Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.