main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I likewise enjoyed Skull. I think Raiders and Crusade are stronger films, but I'll watch Skull any and everyday over Doom. I thought Harrison was great in Skull, he still looks great and comes off as fit and strong to me. The film killed at the box office and did very well critically. As long as Harrison is in good fighting shape, there's no reason not to continue the franchise.

2. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'll apologize up front, because I feel I've got a lot to say on this topic.

Being an old man that saw the OT in the theater as a kid, Han wasn't my favorite character. It wasn't until I became a teenager that Han Solo became more "cool" to me. Probably because as a rebellious teen, you see Han as the cool outsider.

As a full fledged adult of many years now, I've come to respect Ford more for his decision to be "tired" of the Han character. When he was starting out, to him, Star Wars was "just another film" under his belt in his profession. He wanted to move on and do a lot of different parts. Like others had said, he didn't feel the Han character was very interesting. It seems like he likes Indy much better. And while we are on the topic of Indy, I didn't really think KOTCS was "so bad". I think it suffered from the same fate as the PT did. IJ took such a hiatus from the screen that when it came back, it could never live up to peoples expectations. It did have it's faults, but Ford is 100% Inday, at any age. To be honest the only thing I didn't like about KOTCS is Shia LaBeouf LOL!

But back to Han: people/fans are trying to squish Star Wars into a modern blockbuster template which it doesn't fit. Star Wars characters are "simplistic". Good guy, bad guy, pirate, etc. This is why Ford hatted Han in the first place. People wanting Han to have "more depth", more character progression will be disappointing. What makes Han so iconic, is because his character is simple. It's not bogged down with details. Look at midichlorians. Everyone hated the idea of "explaining the force". Look at Boba Fett. A lot of people prefer that he have no background. Now that you know he is just another clone, it takes away from the iconicness.

Keep Han simple. He should be basically the same character just older. Sure, he wouldn't be smuggling, but he wouldn't be some general in a military. He wouldn't be a senator. Even if he's married to Leia, he will still be an instigator to her. He might not even be a great dad. He's just a smuggler trying to stay out of anything, BUT when he needs to step up, he does. With his best buddy Chewie.

I think Fords "angry" attitude when he's asked about his part as Han is perfect for the role. When I see Ford in an interview, I picture a bitter Han Solo. I like it.

So to some it all up, Ford has had a long successful career in Hollywood. I think now, near the end he can suck it up and even just for fun bring the role of Han out of retirement.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Havac makes a pretty good case that one of the EU's biggest mistakes was moving Han out of the military after RoTJ:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2013/11/the-case-of-the-disappearing-generals/

4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    First, I think Harrison was perfect as Han, and will be perfect as an older version in the ST. I have absolutely no doubts that he will put in his usual effort and deliver what we expect from his performance.

Having said that, I have always found his comments on his preference for Indy over Han to be less than truthful. He says that Han isn't interesting and that he didn't have an evolving character arc. That's plain nonsense. Han evolved over the OT far more than Indy did in the Indy films.

I would prefer him to be honest and say that he prefers Indy to Solo because Indy is the main character and Solo is a sidekick/supporting character.

HanSolo29 and Claire1976 like this.
  5. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I couldn't agree more. I've never understood how he has always considered Indy a more interesting character. I mean, I love Harrison, but I do disagree with him on this point. The way I see it, Han is waaay more interesting and has a very defined character arc that Indy just doesn't have. Han's growth as a character is way more obvious than Indy's. I like both characters, but Han will always be the deeper of the two for me.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He needs to focus more on filming that sequel, What Lies Beneath II: Beneathier

TheManFromMortis and jaqen like this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Witness 2: Still Witnessing

43, the sequel to 42

Air Force Two

Hollywood Homicide 2

jaqen and Juke Skywalker like this.
  8. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    The Frisco Kid 2
    Force 11 From Navarone
    Yet Even MORE American Graffiti

I may be in the minority but I think Indy is a more defined character with a more defined story. We've seen him as an individual and a loner, like Han, but we've seen him as a teenager, interact with his father and interact with his teenaged son. We've yet to see Han do any of these things. It may not be much definition but it is definition.

jaqen and Mystery Roach like this.
  9. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I'm sorry but I am in the camp that I just don't want to see an old Han, or an old Leia. Bout the only one that I would tolerate seeing is Luke, and that is only to have the new bad guy kill him off. (Picturing one of the Solo children coming out of self exile, walking into the new Jedi Temple. Finds Master Luke meditating. Luke says "I knew you would return one day, do what you came here to do....") That's bout all I would want to see of the Original Cast...

10. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    It's funny, but of the Big 3, I've always found it the hardest to figure out where or what would become of Han Solo in the post-OT galaxy. Even as a big Han/Leia fan, I could just as easily imagine them hitting the skids after a few years as I could see them marrying and staying together. Yeah, I hate to admit that, but it's true. That said, I completely hope that they ARE still together when the ST picks up on their lives.

I really liked what phatdude1138 had to say about Han's character and potential development. He can be married, but it doesn't mean he necessarily has to be fully "domesticated", if that makes sense. Married Han could still hold onto some of his "rough edges" that we liked in the OT, without being some down-and-out loner smuggler that some people apparently long to see. Which, yeah, might lead to some sparring with Leia, but hey, that's what always kept those two interesting anyway. ;)

Anyway, I'm actually really curious to see how they DO handle his character in the new movies. I think it's gonna be tricky. You sort have to walk a thin line with Han, you want him to have "matured" a bit, but you also don't want to lose that certain something that made him so interesting in the first place.

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Why are you sorry? Everyone's entitled to their view. All you have to do is skip the next cycle of films involving the older big 3, and you're set. That's what's so great about any franchise; you can easily pick and choose which films belong in your own personal "cannon".

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Which makes perfect sense though, right? Luke and Leia have a history rooted across the entire film saga; Star Wars opens up with the focus planted squarely on their familial line. By the close of Jedi, as wrapped up as the saga seems, there is still a brand new government to build, still a new Jedi order that could founded. Jedi closes with firm purpose in tact for Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa.

But what of Han? His whole character arc ended with "I know". When he was frozen alive who would have guessed that would become the perfect metaphor for his character growth? Han has nothing to do in Return of the Jedi. He got the girl by the end of Empire and nobody was really expecting him to pick up and leave again for a smuggling career in Jedi. He serves as merely a catalyst for a muppet show extravaganza, Leia in the hottest bikini ever, and a chance to see how big and bad Luke has gotten between flicks. After that he becomes about as effective as any run-of-the-mill Rebel commander.

It's not that Han can't have interesting material for VII (and beyond if he lives). It's that the previous film didn't leave any notable character thread to be picked up on for the next film.

As far as the Han/Leia marriage? It could be interesting to start up VII with them estranged, perhaps so for years. Maybe Han eventually did go back to his wild ways and Leia couldn't, or wouldn't, go along for the ride. A narrative conflict could be built into their relationship where Leia is working within the boundaries of the law, while her estranged hubby is back in the thick of illegal activity, possibly her enemy, legally speaking. It would give Han and Leia a dramatic thrust in the new film(s), one that never got the chance to play out in the original films because Han was so rapidly domesticated for the sake of love. Also, though a bit redundant, it would set up a "will our lovers reunite" push/pull that Carrie and Harrison played so well in the original. I mean perhaps they reunite right before Han's fateful, heroic death? Talk about pulling heartstrings!

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think Zahn got it right when he made Han and Lando resign their commissions, because I can't picture either of them wanting to be in the military, still. But It makes more sense if Han wanted to remain some free bird who just likes to travel the galaxy for fun, and Lando went off somewhere to start a new business venture. I can even picture Leia choosing to stay with Han instead of remaining with the Rebels after they reestablished the Republic. And with Luke, I can see him sticking around...at least for a while, too, but maybe becoming disillusioned with how things were going with the new Republic.

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

15. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I totally agree with all of this, especially how it seems Han was kind of just "wasted" in ROTJ. And he really was a more watered down version of himself in this movie, unfortunately. But it's funny, I never really put two and two together and thought how this was part of the reason I always had a hard time imagining his future role. But you're absolutely right, the movie doesn't really leave us with much, and that probably does indeed contribute to my uncertainty regarding him. Huh. How about that.

Aw, man, this part I have *such* mixed feelings about. On the one hand, I (the more objective part of me) can totally see where you're coming from. How an estrangement would kind of add a dramatic tension to their story, and sort of the set up a dynamic reminiscent of them in ESB. Yeah, part of me can totally see the appeal of that, and how that might totally work in the story of the ST.

BUT the other part of me (the nonobjective Han/Leia fan), is sticking her fingers in her ears and screaming "Noooooooo!" That part definitely does not want to see them split up (even if it's not completely), and is desperate for their to be another source of drama for which the two of them can draw upon. Surely there's another way? I mean they can be at odds about something Han wants to do that Leia doesn't (or vice versa), etc. But do they have to be split up to achieve that? But again, I think I can't be objective about this. Ha ha.

EDIT: Although, I'm not sure how I feel about the "Illegal activity" angle you suggested. It would really have to depend on the context of the story for me to buy into it. Otherwise, it would just feel like too much of a regression for his character.

Aw, man. You're killing me. Talk about ripping my heart out! Ouch. Again, very *dramatic*, but yeah….ouch.

And why are so many people convinced Han is going to die? I don't mean this as a rhetorical question, I'm serious. Have they heard something that I haven't? I mean besides the age-old "Harrison wanted him to die in ROTJ", is there any other reason to assume this? Because all this "When Han dies…." speculation is starting to make me really nervous.

jaqen likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I won't enjoy seeing Han die but as long as they don't Aunt Beru/Uncle Owen him by having him go out as a charred corpse I think I can accept it. I'd much rather him go out as a hero than see them keep him around way after his character has stopped being relevant to the story. By the time the OT wraps up all the older generation characters are dead so I won't be upset if all the OT characters are dead by the time the ST wraps. The sad thing is we won't be able to see Han again after he dies as we would with Luke and Leia but that could actually add another layer of drama to it. Luke's kids would be able to see their dad even if he dies but Han's kids won't ever see the ol' smuggler again. :(

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Special Editions will become instantly universally lauded, as a mostly mended Greedo shows up in Episode VII and officially shoots last.

18. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It's all speculation based upon opinions...so far. Maybe based in large part on the fact it's really hard to imagine a future for Han that doesn't render him a second-rate Corellian banana.

jaqen likes this.
  19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree, I'm not sure what the fascination of the fans wanting to "kill Han off". I think it's they prescribe to the cookiee cutter modern movie/blockbuster template.

Han is a fictional character, he doesn't have to die. Granted his character has to obey the laws of nature and eventually he has to die, but I'm not sure why it has to be on screen.

For example lets just say the ST is "it" for the core Star Wars saga. Basically Episode 1-9, then do we have to kill off everyone in episode 9? Leia, Han, Chewie and Luke?

Why do fans feel they have to see his death on screen? THINK ABOUT IT! If Lucas really wasn't planning on anything after ROTJ in 1983, per the fans theory, everyone would have had to be killed in ROTJ! LOL! But for some reason in 1983 it was cool to leave these characters fate in limbo, but in 2015 (or whatever year) we HAVE to have them die. It's just silly and I hope it doesn't happen.

Han Solo is not only one of the most iconic characters in Star Wars, but in pop culture and cinema history. What death is "fitting" for him? Can you even think of one?! No disrespect to Adam Driver, but can his villain be worth Han dying for? IMO I don't think a resurrected Vader, Plapatine, Boba Fett and Jabba would be worth Han dying for. Literally Vader, Plapatine, Boba Fett and Jabba would have to be on a new bigger Death Star that Han kamikazes into to make it worth his death.

Yanksfan likes this.
  20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    If Han does die, I hope he goes out better than Captain Kirk in Star Trek: Generations. I'm no Trekkie, but Captain Kirk is an icon and that was just pathetic.

As much as it pains me to say it, I'm on the side that says Han (and eventually Luke and Leia) need to die in the ST. They're Obi-Wan in ANH here. As long as they're around we feel safe. At some point the new generation will have to stand on their own, and they really can't do that with the saftey net of the Big Three still there.

When/if Han does die, it'll easily supplant Optimus Prime's death in Transformers: The Movie as the single most traumatic movie death experience of my life. I'll cry like a baby and I won't be the least bit ashamed.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

jaqen and T-R- like this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I do too LOL! I likewise am a big fan of the Han/Leia romance.

All of this is just speculative to the extreme for me, since I really don't believe the new trilogy is going to give any kind of great focus to Han and Leia's romance. I imagine even if there is some conflict between Han and Leia, it'll be minor in the scheme of things. This isn't a kitchen sink drama, and there is just too much material to be covered to delve deeply into their dynamic.

And while fans like you and I could probably watch an entire Han/Leia spin off and thoroughly enjoy ourselves, I really wonder how much of the general public would be interested in watching an aged Han and Leia playing break-up-to-make-up.

Well this came to my mind because, technically, that was never really resolved. Han had every intention of going back to his smuggling life at the time of Empire, but was thwarted by the attack on Yavin and being frozen in Cloud City. Then he wakes up a year or so later, right before the final battle against the Empire.

Technically we never really learn whether Han still wants to pick up on his plans to leave. A strong case could be made that now that the rebellion is complete, Han just went back to the life he always enjoyed before. I could actually see both him and Lando sitting around post Rebellion bored out of their minds, and maybe going into a semi-sorta legal business, just to keep themselves busy and active.

Han's domestication can easily be undone as it never really got resolved, so much as just assumed and dropped.

For me it ties into the idea that I just have a hard time imagining Harrison Ford committing to three more jaunts as Han Solo. I, of course, could be dead wrong but I just feel like it's more likely Harrison is returning for a "one and done" deal. Perhaps even agreeing to play Han again in order to get an Indy 5 promise out of Disney.

From a narrative perspective, I really do think Han needs to be given a very specific purpose and thrust. I do not want to see the ROTJ version of Han sitting around for one movie, much less three.

Yanksfan and Claire1976 like this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Yoda served a similar purpose in both the PT and OT, and he didn't die until halfway through the last film in the (current) saga.

If they don't want to kill off any of the big three, the "Yoda" path in the PT is available. Under these conditions we simply see the "safe" guardians fail in their job to protect. Because as wise and powerful as Yoda is presented from Episode I on, he still fails to confront the danger soon enough to be effective at stopping it's rise.

Perhaps in episode VII presents a new threat so powerful that our old heroes, by the close, are just as vulnerable as their children. Perhaps it'll take all of them, both generations, to stop this threat. Perhaps the whole dramatic thrust of this trilogy isn't about leaving the younger ones to stand on their own, but rather emphasizing the need for everyone to stand together in order to succeed.

24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Symbiotic relationships brough full circle from TPM. I like it.

TigerCraneFist and jaqen like this.
  25. cruizerdave

cruizerdave Jedi Master

May 29, 2003
    Good thoughts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.