main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Harrison Ford is being cranky about geek culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Aug 15, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    HERE

So, what would happen if Star Wars or Indiana Jones were first released today?
    “Everyone would be ahead of it, and everybody would know what it was, and it would be no fun at all.”​
    Also, Star Wars and Indiana Jones wouldn’t work today, because you jackass kids don’t watch movies properly anymore!
    “People used to go to movie theaters. It was a community experience, and that was part of the fun. Now people see a movie on their iPad, alone, with interruptions for snacks.”​
    But hey, come on, let’s be fair — kids are still engaging with movies! Just look at Comic-Con! Or don’t if you’re Harrison Ford.
    “It’s another form of engagement. I think the success of Comic-Con is based on the partnership between the fans and the service providers, the entities — I won’t necessarily call them filmmakers — that supply the film product that supports their particular interest, whether it’s vampires or science-fiction fantasies or Transformers or whatever is going on.”​
    Well. He isn't wrong. Er, not entirely. I mean I was spoiled for ROTJ because I read the book before I saw the film and it only made me want to see it more.

[​IMG]

2. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Yeah it's true. And I respect him for saying it! He wouldn't be Harrison Ford without his cranky (yet awesome) cynicism. I would say "May the Force Be With Him" but that's probably the kind of thing that would make him wanna punch me... and it would be a highlight of my life.

Mortimer Snerd, Anime_Jedi and Sarge like this.
  3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Old Man Yells At Cloud Distribution.

4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Good for him

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    A man notoriously disinterested in interviews gets annoyed in interviews. ASTONISHING NEWS BUT THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW.

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    But...but...I was ahead of Star Wars. From memory I wound up listening to the audio book first, before I was old enough to see the movie. So when I did see it, it completely blew my mind. The age of good geek movies isn't over, it just takes lightning in a bottle like it did with Star Wars -- see The Dark Knight for details.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I find it much less fun to be "ahead of" a movie but I don't know that being "ahead" is a unique phenomenon. I knew before I saw ROTJ that we would see Vader unmasked, I just didn't know why--and that was through talk at my middle school in 1983, no Internet, and I wasn't even paying close attention.

As far as the movie-watching on the iPad--it seems that Ford would be crankier about the chatterboxing and the prices at movie theaters but who knows.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Expressing an opinion is being cranky? He's pretty spot on with that opinion too.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000

=D=

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    From hearing about his appearance at the Ender's Game panel at SDCC and the kind of questions he was asked, it kind of reminded me of that episode of The Simpsons where the actor who played Fallout Boy in an old Radioactive Man TV series is asked stupid questions by the kids and acts like he wants to be anywhere else but here.

squir1y likes this.
  11. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Forumgoers reply to thread with sarcasm.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ummm this is news?

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Meh, his comments were pretty tame and he makes some good points.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    WATCH MOVIES THE WAY I THINK THEY SHOULD BE WATCHED

heels1785 likes this.
  15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Exhibit 1:
    Exhibit 2:
    See? He's right. It ruins it when you're ahead of it. Damn you, Piltdown!

16. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Get off his lawn...

Sarge and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  17. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    So, the fact that near me a Indy marathon is playing means nothing...

18. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I completely agree with Harrison.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2