main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford Only Coming Back For One Reason....

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EmperorAjay, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Fairly certain that Harrison would have come back regardless, because fans would have been pretty disappointed if we found out he turned down coming back especially if Carrie and Mark agreed. Not 'get the pitchforks sharpened' level disappointed, but enough to make the decision to come back a no brainer from a career perspective.

That being said, yeah, he was on the pro-death side so it's possible that will influence things. I think the fact that there was a pro-death side which planted the seed of the idea is a bigger target on Han's back though.

2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Harrison has always disliked Han. So he'd like being killed off and a huge payday to do it.

Besides, once Han becomes 'respectable', he would be a little boring. The dire EU books always struggled to make him work.

But it is still a terrible idea. No one wants to see Han die. 'The aged mentor' is a classic archetype. People expect them to pass. It's a cultural imprint that spans centuries. You never ever see them grow up though! Not since things like Beowulf.

Luke as hermit, rewinding the end of ROTJ and all his characterisation... That's pribabky the worst crime in the long run.

UKS

3. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Maybe Han dies, or not. Wherever his role leads i just hope he plays the part with conviction and the same swagger. I don't want to see a half-interested Harrison Ford being there because he felt the fans forced him into it or for some other personal reason i'm not aware of, and having mixed thoughts about it. It'll show in his acting and everyone will notice in a heartbeat.

But i expect him to pay tribute to the character that made him famous.

4. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    I mean, in RotJ, Han's character does sort of lose momentum. His character isn't that interesting after he's rescued.

In ESB he's still dealing with a degree of self interest - I've got a price on my head, I gotta go pay Jabba - which creates an inherent drama in his character being pulled in opposing directions.

Once he's rescued, the tension is gone and he's just along for the ride. And while the moment was a heartwarming one when all the characters were like, "I'm coming too" as they were planning the Endor attack, the fact that there was no disagreement there, no opposing values in those choices, really sucked the drama out of it.

5. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm confused as to why this thread is still open.:confused::p

Ridley Solo likes this.
  7. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    they are trying to lock it but this keeps happening:

[​IMG]

8. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Sure it would. It's a stupid "tradition" to carry on. Obi-Wan was only killed off because Lucas didn't know what to do with him in Act 3, and didn't know if sequels would be made. If he'd had a 3-picture deal and knew he could do the whole thing, Obi-Wan probably would be right there with Leia in the war room of the Rebel base, urging Luke on over the communicator rather than as a ghostly voice in his head, and the sequel would've begun with Luke already having a great deal of formal training.

ThinWhiteDuke likes this.
  9. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    To play Han Solo one more time before he dies, no wait other projects have dried up Indiana Jones is retired or maybe he knew about the next movie coming since 2005

10. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    In before the lock!

Maybe Lucas killed off Obi-Wan because he didn't know what to do with him in Act 3, but he made killing off the mentor a tradition by doing it again in the PT. I think Han will fill the role in Ep VII of the dying mentor. Then we get to see a brooding, grieving Chewie for two more episodes, instead of the other way around, as was the case in the EU.

11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I think Obi-won was killed off to bring the confrontation between Luke & Vader inevitable some spark of anger was needed Kenobi could have trained the way Yoda did, Han was a good shoulder to cry on off course the bridge between Anakin Solo & his father being broken when he left Chewie to die fans want to see that but these characters are much older now. You never know Ewan Mc Gregor might make a guest appearance glad to see Ford back.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    All fixed now. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.