main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Harrison Ford...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Maybe Han and Lando will get into a tussle over the last bagel or something.

2. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    Out of the first 6 Star Trek movies (starring the aging original cast members), the only bad movie was Star Trek V and it was bad not because of the age of the cast members, it was bad because it was badly written and badly directed. As bad as Star Trek V was, Star Trek and the aging cast members came roaring back with the excellent Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country an excellent performance by an aging Christopher Plummer as the main villain.

As for the latest Indy movie, it was flawed (although I stilled liked the movie) but the aging Ford was NOT one of the flaws and the critics that did slammed the movie were slamming Shia La whatshisname and the CGI dancing gopher straight out of Caddyshack, the flying monkeys from the vines and the nuking Fridgerator..

I wonder how all these people bashing Hamill, Ford and Fisher about their age treat their grandparents or if they respect them.

JainaSoloYJK and KevinM1 like this.
  3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    There are no "dancing gofers" in CS, the opening sequence takes place in the desert and it cuts a few times to some prairie dogs. Big Deal.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Check Rottentomatoes, critics didn't slam Indy IV, even if there was some sense of disappointment. I think the general audience was mostly ok with it too. Just like the prequels, it was mostly the Internet crowd that stirred controversy. This is not to say it doesn't have some glaring issues, but it's still an entertaining adventure movie, even if not as good as Raiders and Crusade.

5. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006

Then what do you call this, a seizure?

It was stupid and unnecessary so I agree with the bashers on this.

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh HA HA HA. I meant Crystal Skull!!!!
    All the Indy movies are full of stupid humor, KOTCS is no different.

7. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Reading from the link Ford wanted his character to die in return of the Jedi & if they kill him off in the next 3 he's down for that too. Common thing here is that he doesn't like Solo& wanted the character killed of in the series.[face_shame_on_you] C'mon Harrison, Solo was an iconic role don't be ashamed of it

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    He just felt Han didn't have much to do and wanted heroic death for his character. Nothing wrong with that :)

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It might turn out that he did have one more thing to do, though: Carry on the Skywalker bloodline with Leia ;)
    Once they have a kid, he's free to go out in a blaze of glory!

"Only now, at the end, do you understand"
    /LM

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Which never makes sense to me, because the audience cares about Leia, and would like to see her get her guy, and vice versa. We've waited three movies to see that love triangle wrap up, why would we want to see it end sour with a celibate brother and sister awkwardly staring at the wall?

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke & Leia being brother & sister was really just an easy "out" for the love triangle that had built up by ROTJ, in some alternate universe where Ford got his wish and Solo was killed off, Luke & Leia would not have been related and would have ended the movie in love and happily ever after, admittedly while spending a shot or two mourning Han's sacrifice. Kasadan admits to almost killing Lando off in ROTJ so somebody going out in the 3rd act was probably in the mix at some point but Lucas nixed all that.

12. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Okay, but you're apply an extra layer of hypothetical to the discussion. In a world where Lucas was walking away from the sequel trilogy plot of the lost "other" sister Nellith Skywalker training on the other side of the galaxy, Leia had to fill that role. Also, I don't think that its particularly compelling for Luke to win Leia by default, when she hasn't even seen the dude for a movie and a half.

And frankly, you don't kill the only black dude in the galaxy. :)

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    okay so the alternate reality where Lucas ends it at ROTJ, abandons the ST so the "there is another" Skywalker doesn't pop up (phew, this is getting complicated, I feel like Doc Brown in BTTF2!), but kills Han (or Solo doesn't even make it out of the carbonite! ack!) I'd just guess they'd have non-related Luke & Leia hook up, if only to give the movie something of a happy ending since Han got blown up on the attack on the 2nd Death Star, or Harrison Ford didn't even sign up for ROTJ. If you look at ESB / ANH, Luke is the romantic hero for Leia in ANH (she kisses him more than she does Han the whole movie) and Han is the romantic interest for Leia in ESB (she still kisses Luke rather passionately in that too, also just to get under Han's skin). ROTJ with Dead Han would probably be the tiebreaker, that Luke wins since Han gets all dead and all.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I really don't see how anyone could watch ESB and think that Luke had a chance. Obviously that's monday morning quarterbacking, but I just don't see it. Kersh even filmed more romantic Luke/Leia scenes, and they were cut out for whatever reason. Even in ANH, Han and Leia have more sexual tension.

And again, we're discussing a hypo where Lucas is completely restructuring the future of the franchise by dropping the sister Skywalker. At the point where Ford and Kasdan are raising hell about Solo dying, Lucas was surely already in the headspace of wanting to end the story.

Besides which, this isn't Serenity. This is the fairy tale ending to a fantasy trilogy. I've never understood the bittersweet appeal of wiping out one of the big three protagonists.

I just think there's much more dramatic potential to having Han die in the ST, where he's had a chance to reap the benefits of the ultimate victory over the Empire, but still have his blaze of glory ending. Maybe that makes me a softie. [face_dunno]

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually do completely agree that if Han is going to bite it, in the ST would be the place. But, actually, I don't wanna see him die at all but I think that's probably the only way they get Ford to sign on is to give him the death scene he's been asking for about 3 decades or so. Also it would be an easy way to up the evil factor of whoever the antagonist is in the ST. Still, sad end for Leia, wouldn't you think if Han died and all and she had to keep going? Unless both Leia, Han & Chewie all bite it at once & then all we have left is Luke, completely alone and having to fight by himself (along with whoever the new protagonist is). That could be an interesting place to put it.