main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Harrison Ford...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Nov 5, 2012.

1. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I dont understand how Obi-wan Kenobi can die for the better of the Galaxy but if I want Luke or Han to be as noble as Ben, I'm suddenly not a "true" fan, or I'm "ageist"

I want my favorite characters to grow, and change, and hopefully become better people, and to mourn when they dont become better. And if that means they must die in some noble act, I want to see it. And if that means they die bitter old men, I want to see it.

2. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    *gasp*:eek:

Oh, my....I'm almost afraid to hope, but it is Entertainment Weekly...if this is made-up or false I may strangle someone, but if it's true it could be awesome! [face_dancing]

fishtailsam likes this.
  3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Because Disney can't make a profit on books that have already been sold, or that have been rendered irrelevant by what's going to happen in the films in the coming years. There may be EU yet to come, but it will be based on whatever new directions the ST establishes. See the various EU threads for more info.

fishtailsam likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You need to read my old thread, "why embracing the EU makes perfect sense ($$$)". The fact that so much EU already exists will mean lots of free money.

5. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    There is also the possibility, however remote, that TPTB will create a brand new character to fill the role that Chewbacca played instead of actually incorporating Chewbacca into the ST itself.

6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I will irrationally hate this 'New-bacca' you speak of.

sethg, Buddha Fett and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  7. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    You'd be extremely wrong in this assumption.

No. He can be, excuse me, THEY can be very powerful characters that can augment the story. They don't have to be the focal point. Just like with Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, Christopher Lee and even old Yoda's character. They were all older actors who played very powerful characters that helped the storyline greatly. They were there for the younger characters to play off of. There is no reason why they can't do the same in these movies.

Sure, he can be a cranky old whatever, who has to shake off the rust to possibly do something heroic. I can see tons of potential for typical Han comedy in that, as well as a great opportunity for character development.

I think you don't see the great potential of these characters because you're too stuck on what they have already done in the OT. As I said, there is potential for great character development for all of them, as well as tying things to the original saga and passing the torch to another great bunch of younger characters.

8. Gilrod

Gilrod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 26, 2003
    Yeah, I don't get it, either. Why wouldn't the trio have aged? Fans of the EU accept that they've aged and are still major players in the galaxy. Why not in the movies? I remember the authors of the books saying that 60 was the new 40. Well, seems about right to me.

Anyway, Han Solo was never an action hero in my mind. Sure, he ran through the halls and shot at things, but the role wasn't nearly as action-oriented as Indiana Jones. I think Harrison Ford is more than capable of playing the role at his age. Same thing with Carrie Fisher. As for Mark Hamill, whose role as a Jedi was action-oriented, I also don't see a problem. We had Ian McDiarmid and Christopher Lee in lightsaber duels. Why would this be any less believable?

I'm so excited about the possibility of the main three coming back, and I'm more than willing to let the EU fade away.

In my book, Chewbacca lives!

9. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    So that EW thing doesn't have a quote. "Highly placed source" usually means "we're making stuff up to get viewers" so until we get an actual quote from Ford, I won't hold my breath.

If Han Solo does appear in the movie, he's not going to be the same swashbuckling Bogart he was in the OT. Over three decades after Endor, he's married Leia and had kids, maybe even grandkids. Han's arc from ruthless pirate to responsible leader is already done. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Han became the guy who complained that his kids were doing the kinds of things he did when he was their age. That's not to say that there wouldn't be a little of the old Han left in him. But he wouldn't be picking up a blaster to get paid, running at the first sign of trouble. He'd be doing it to save his kids or protect his wife.

I have images in my head of people coming here in three years to complain that Han Solo wasn't the Han they remembered and complaining that he was too nice or something.

10. Knight Fel

Knight Fel Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2012
    Holy scruffy nerf herder! Carrie looks GREAT! I haden't seen any of her recent pics so I was worried about her being the weak link if they brought back the Big 3 but wow....who would have thought a few years ago that Leia would look better then Han if they did a ST? I'm glad to hear a source saying Harrison is down for it but based on his very well known hatred of the Han Solo character and his avoidence of anything SW in general i'll have to hear it from the man himself before I believe it.

11. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Maybe this is the time Solo dies, like Ford wanted. I mean, like all the "first" movies in the last trilogy's, a main, and significant character dies, one that has played an important role to those other characters in the first act.

12. ElivagarV

ElivagarV Jedi Knight

Sep 11, 2012
    Actually, I believe those are older photos, although she's still looking pretty good. I went to her show last weekend. Some pictures from the show (not mine):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    I know it was meant to be in spoof, but damn if that isn't Han Solo under that gray hair. Reminds me of Solo in Empire when he's yelling at 3PO.

QsAssistant and wade-newb like this.
  14. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    All three are coming back, hopefully. At least for small roles. My hope of the next star wars opening with the millennium falcon may become a reality. That would be awesome.

15. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I picture Leia in a dignified, Mon Mothma-type of role in the ST. In other words, not as much screentime as she got in the OT. Introduce a new female character who'll be as spunky as Leia was in ANH and TESB

16. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I keep envisioning Han Solo yelling at some Younglings "You kids get offa my lawn!"

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  17. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    This is great news but I'm not going to hold my breath. Sorry to be a downer about this but I just don't want to get my hopes up for something I really want to happen that still has a good chance of not happening. Really hope it does though.

18. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Han was always a cranky old guy anyway, now he's just older. Old cranky pirate? Who doesn't like that? Harrison can play that well.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    She is nowhere near as beautiful and pretty and cute as her younger self.............

She was more beautiful than Athena then.................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, doesn't she kinda look like Hayden christensen a bit? Like father like daughter? Anakin and Leia?

That Bad Huh likes this.
  20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    appleseed: Yep. To say that noone wants to see these guys grow old and die is BS and beside the point. It happened with the PT guys in the OT and it's bound to happen again. It has to happen.
    I'm actually surprised that so many of you are shocked by this bit of news. I've always assumed that they would all return if asked. Sure, Ford's participation may depend on the script and the director, but I wouldn't worry about that. LFL will definitely want him in this movie.

"Here we go again"
    /LM

21. Qual

Qual Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd be ok with Han being the sacrificial character in VII, to be honest. One last crazy stunt, and then have a significant moment a la Obi-Wan. This is provided that it makes sense in the context of the story of course.

The books killing off most of the new generation of characters and having the Big 3 still doing all the work is one of the biggest problems with post-ROTJ EU, IMO. I think this will change in the movies, for the simple reason that the story has to move on from these characters in order to be a continuing financial success. They cannot get to IX and not have characters capable of taking the franchise further.

fishtailsam likes this.
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    These films just need Hamill. I don't think Carrie and Harrison should be in them...

That Bad Huh likes this.
  23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I totally agree with you. Carrie is too old and ugly now....:rolleyes:

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. Anakin lost his good looks and humanity. In the OT and PT anakin was totally different.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. Luke, leia, and han were popular and a big deal in the 80s

Now, they are too, but people also like anakin and padme and young obi wan now......

What about when they get old and die? We need new actors. Hayden, carrie, natalie, and mark need to pass their torch onto somebody else. Agree?