main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Harrison's Plane Crash

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sarge, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...ed-Ford?WT.mc_id=150814epilot&WT.mc_sect=news

National Transportation Safety Board has concluded that a fuel metering jet in the carburetor came loose and caused his engine to lose power. And it sounds like his shoulder harness was not up to par and tore out with the impact, which made his injuries worse. That plane was built in an era when only lap belts were required, so the shoulder harness was a kind of jury rig installation. That's pretty common on old planes.

(Mods, I'm sure there's at least one thread about his crash-landing, but I searched and didn't find it. Feel free to move/merge this wherever.)

Pensivia likes this.
  2. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I wonder how long it will be before he starts flying those kind of vintage planes again (or maybe he already has)?!

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I just read an article recently, that much to the chagrin of his wife and kids, he is already back in the Millennium Falcon cockpit.

MarcJordan, Sarge and Pensivia like this.
  4. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Doesn't surprise me:D He's amazing! (Though I'm sure if I were Calista, I'd feel the same way...)

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He's been one of the big faces of general aviation for years. By all accounts I've read, he's a serious, safe, conscientious, and skilled pilot, and gladly donates time and energy to keep flying widely available to the little people in aviation, even testifying to Congress on the safety aspects of private flying. No way is he going to let one forced landing keep him grounded.

Pensivia and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I still say the crash was Jabba's spirit getting revenge

Pensivia likes this.
  7. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Does anyone know if he will be (or already is) flying vintage planes again?

Edit: just saw this concluding line in the article:

Ford’s wife, actress Calista Flockhart, said during an Aug. 10 public appearance that she continues to support her husband’s passion for flying “100 percent,” though the accident “was a really hard, scary time.”

That's great that he does have her support! It would be hard for me at times, too but I wouldn't want to keep my spouse from something he was that passionate about, either.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    One of his favorite planes is his own DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, the same kind of old bush plane he flew in the movie 6 Days & 7 Nights. IIRC, that's a design that goes back to the 50's.

Pensivia likes this.
  9. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    [face_laugh] [face_beatup]

MJ

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The latest issue of Plane & Pilot magazine has an article about Ford's plane crash. It includes Ford's own description of the accident:

According to witnesses he struck a treetop about 65 feet high, but maintained control and managed a well-controlled crash-landing next to the 8th tee of the Penmar golf course.

Since this was a high-profile event, the FAA investigated more thoroughly than they usually do for a small plane crash. The cause of the engine failure was not obvious, but eventually they disassembled the carburetor and discovered that the main metering jet was unscrewed from its seat and turned 90 degrees, which leads to an extremely rich fuel-air ratio and floods the engine. There were no maintenance records of carburetor inspections since 1998 on this plane, which was built in 1942 and restored in 1998.

The plane was built with lap belts only; shoulder harnesses were not required safety equipment in 1942. At some point, shoulder harnesses were installed, but they were only attached to the thin aluminum of the lower seat back. During the crash, the harnesses tore loose, contributing to the severity of Ford's injuries: cuts and gashes on his head, and broken bones.

Ford has a private pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single-engine land and sea, multi-engine land, helicopter, and instrument airplane. He is type-rated in Cessna 525 and 680 jets. He had logged 5000 total flight hours, including 75 hours in the 1942 Ryan ST3KR Sport Trainer (military designation PT-22 Recruit). He also owns a Cessna Citation business jet, a 1929 WACO biplane, a Bell 407 helicopter, and DHC-2 Beaver.

Plane & Pilot writer Peter Katz:

11. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    The man is a beast.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm going to merge this with the existing thread on the topic, but yeah from all accounts he handled a bad situation wonderfully.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Thanks, Bardan, I forgot to look for the other thread.