main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Harry Potter] A Hundred Hogwarts Drabbles (UDC5) -- completed 1/20/12 -- Week Twenty: Ginny Weasley

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 25, 2010.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: A Hundred Hogwarts Drabbles
    Timeframe: Every
    Characters: Every
    Summary: Little pieces of sttudents' lives at the school.
    Notes: Part of the 5th Ultimate Drabble Challenge

Week One ? Hermione

Doctor

Hermione had rarely had the need to visit Madame Pomfrey. She?d seen the Hogwarts nurse several times, but mostly when she was visiting someone else ? usually Harry. In fact, Hermione couldn?t remember ever needing Madame Pomfrey?s extensive stash of cures.

Now she was grateful to the nurse, as her horribly long ? and cursed ? teeth were shrinking back to their normal size.

?Let me know when I should stop,? the nurse sniffed.

Hermione had always hated her over-long teeth, but her dentist parents refused to let her change them.

Well, this seemed like a perfect opportunity to shrink her teeth more.

Companion

Books were Hermione?s perfect companions. As much as she adored Harry and Ron ? and she really did, and was grateful to them, her first-ever friends ? they didn?t hold the singular fascination for her that books did.

Every time Hermione opened a new book, it was like making a new friend. Books were full of wonder and knowledge, and she could always learn something useful. Who knew when something she read could come in handy? It had happened before, too many times to count.

And rereading was great fun, too ? like visiting an old friend she hadn?t seen in a while.

Time

The time-turner wasn?t as fun as Hermione thought it would be.

It was a great adventure, at first ? stepping into a side hallway, turning it over a time or two, and wooshing back a couple hours into the past. What wasn?t to like? And even better, she got to go to every class she?d signed up for, schedule difficulties forgotten.

But it wasn?t long before the workload began to catch with her. And the hours ? she had to live extra hours, but she didn?t get to sleep longer, and it was taking a toll.

Maybe she should drop some classes.

Space

Hermione generally didn?t need space or peace. She could pick up a book and read or study even in the crowded Gryffindor common room (of course, she preferred a silent library). She didn?t mind when Ron and Harry sat near her and chattered or played chess ? or tried to fake their way through their homework. She could create her own bubble of peace and ignore everyone else, letting noises fall to the wayside. Even in chaos, she found a necessary solitude.

She did need physical space, of course. After all, without proper shelves, where could she store all her books?

Dimensions

There really weren?t many dimensions to Hermione. She was pretty open with what she wanted and what she thought ? she definitely wasn?t afraid to tell people what she thought they needed to hear.

So keeping her mouth shut about Ron was a new experience.

Harry knew her feelings, she thought ? he wasn?t all that perceptive most of the time, but he knew her (and, she thought, he was hiding a secret of his own). But Ron was still oblivious.

This wasn?t the sort of secret she wanted to keep. She loved Ron, and she wanted to shout it out loud.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    These are awesome, Nat! :D You chose my favourite character to open with, too. :) Really love the time turner one and the dimensions one.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks!! Time was my favorite :D

Week Two

Island

Sometimes Harry felt that Ron and Hermione were islands of peace in the storm of his life. They were always there for him. Sure, they?d had their fights ? over the Firebolt, over the Triwizard Tournament, and much, much more ? but they were always there for him.

Whenever Harry was tormented by his fame, or his fans, or by Draco Malfoy, there were always there beside him. They could sit next to him in the Gryffindor common room and play wizard chess, or talk, or just sit in silence. Even in the crowded common room, they were an island of three.

Survival

In the end, Harry could barely believe he had survived.

He had known for his whole life ? well, for the last seven years of his whole life, all the time he?d known about the wizarding world ? all the part of his life he wanted to remember ? he?d known he would have to face Voldemort and defeat him. He had done so successfully several times before, but he still didn?t really believe he could pull it off. Not kill Voldemort and live. He was convinced that killing the Dark Lord would kill him.

So he treated every day as a blessing,

Lost

After the battle of Hogwarts, Harry felt a little lost. Not right away ? he spent too much time seeing people, hugging those who had survived, mourning those who had not. And then there were some things he and Ron and Hermione still had to deal with.

But after all that, when everyone was in bed, Harry wandered the halls of Hogwarts, feeling alone.

He couldn?t hear them ? just felt a woosh of air, like a passing breeze.

But when he turned, there they were ? the Hogwarts ghosts, following him like a parade, always there.

And he didn?t feel so lost.

Other

Fleur looked so different from everyone Harry had ever known ? beautiful and graceful and charming. She moved like she was dancing, but it looked effortless, natural. And she was a powerful witch, that was certain ? he?d heard of what she could do. And, after all, she had made it to the Triwizard Tournament, which was no small feat.

He didn?t blame Ron, or anyone else, from following her every move with wide eyes, chasing after her, begging to serve her slightest whim. Fleur had an indefinable quality that made her different, special. Everyone could see it. She was different. Other.

Flashback

Looking in the Mirror of Erised was like looking at a flashback of Harry?s life, but different. He was looking at a might-have-been. If his parents hadn?t been killed. If Voldemort had never come after their family. If they?d lived in peace. If Harry had grown up with them instead of the Dursleys.

This was looking at his life the way it should have been.

It gave Harry hope, seeing his parents. He could feel their love through the enchanted mirror, though he knew the mirror was only showing him what he wanted to see. And it made him sad.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Lovely summaries of moments in Harry's life. It seems like "Other" doesn't quite fit thematically with the rest, but that makes it even more appropriate! :D I think it's actually my favourite of this set. :)

5. Kriztin

Kriztin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2009
    These are wonderful little snapshots of the characters' lives and you have a lot of insight into their thoughts and emotions! I'm enjoying them a lot!

Kriztin

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Totally agree with Hermione about books.

Lovely drabbles.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Idri: Good!! That?s what I was going for :D

Kritzen: Thanks!! I?m glad you?re enjoying them :)

FelsGoddess: [face_laugh] Thanks!!

I know it's been a while [face_blush] I'm trying to get better.

Week Three ? Ron

Far

Hogwarts was far from home ? far enough, anyway. He?d never left his parents for so long before. Ron would never admit it to anyone ? he didn?t even like to admit it to himself ? but he was a little scared. Okay, more than a little scared. What if he was put in Slytherin? What if he wasn?t chosen at all? What if he was sent home?

What if he missed his mother?

Percy and the twins would be there, but they weren?t the same.

And this Harry Potter would be there, too. Ron thought he might turn into a good froend.

Prisoners

Some classes were good, some classes were bad, and Potions was horrible.

It was worse, Ron decided, than History of Magic. While Binns was droning on, Ron could usually just doze off or play a quiet game with Harry (luckily, their professor was completely oblivious).

But not in Snape?s class. Snape made them work. And woe to you if you didn?t.

To make it worse, he had an obvious bias against The Gryffindors. The hours they spent stirring potions in the dungeons were terrible. Ron felt like a prisoner, and he knew the other Gryffindors hated the class. Even Hermione.

Peacekeepers

The prefects were intended to be peacekeepers and guides within the House ? people the younger kids could turn to when they needed help, who could show them classes and could make sure nothing untoward happened. They dealt with first-years and, when they couldn?t, ran for the Head of House.

The prefects helped the students in times of crisis. They kept relative peace in the common room. They were models students, always on their best behavior and with the marks to prove it.

That was what Hogwarts prefects were supposed to do.

Ron didn?t actually intend of doing any of it.

Uncharted

This whole romance thing was completely uncharted territory for Ron.

He got a kick ? a huge kick ? out of being someone?s boyfriend (not necessarily Lavender?s boyfriend ? the Won-Won stuff was pretty embarrassing ? but hey, at least he had someone. Plus, he was pretty into snogging, which suited him just fine.) And even more than the kissing ? he had a someone. This whole being a boyfriend thing wasn?t too bad. Really, he should have done it sooner.

But the scary thing wasn?t the being someone?s boyfriend. The scary, new, unbelievable exhilarating and terrifying thing was the way he felt for Hermione.

Scape

Ron looked around carefully at the landscape. It wasn?t something he usually did, but on a day as pretty as this, he felt it would be wrong not to.

He hadn?t realized how much Hogwarts had become a true second home to him. It was where he lived most of the year. His friends were here, his activities were here. His Quidditch team was here. His training was here.

He didn?t realize how much it felt like home until he knew he wasn?t coming back.

?Are you ready?? Hermione asked.

He nodded. They turned away from Hogwarts, and followed Harry.

8. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Ron didn?t actually intend of doing any of it. [face_laugh] Better watch out, Ron. Hermione will get you for it.

Uncharted Awww

Scape Aww :(

9. Kriztin

Jan 4, 2009
    Yep, you've captured Ron perfectly!

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you both!! [:D]

Week Four ? Neville

Smart

Neville Longbottom was smart, even if he was often too nervous to show it. And he wasn?t a star by any means ? he was no Hermione Granger.

But he took to Herbology like he?d been born to it, and on rainy days, he could often be found in one of the greenhouses, helping Professor Sprout with whatever needed doing that day. She told him ? often?to consider a career in the subject.

It wasn?t until after he graduated and she asked him to stay on as her assistant that he realized she had been training him to take her place.

Neville surveyed his troops carefully, wincing when he thought of them as ?troops.? The Hogwarts students in front of him weren?t troops. They were just students, and far too young to be fighting fully trained Dark wizards.

But, as much as Neville had tried to send the younger students to hide, they really didn?t have much choice. Death would be better than capture after resistance. Neville was no fool; he knew what the Death Eaters could do. After all, they?d done it to his parents.

So when he ran after the enemy in the fight, the 99 others followed him.

Chief

Neville wasn?t entirely sure how he?d become the chief of the student resistance. He wasn?t even sure how he?d gotten into brave Gryffindor?s house to begin with. But Harry wasn?t here to lead, and someone had to fight back.

Neville had been in the D.A. and he?d gone with Harry and the others to fight against the Ministry. He?d battled Death Eaters the night Dumbledore died. He?d grown up without parents because his had been tortured beyond the brink of sanity.

He might not have been the smartest or bravest, but he stood up to the enemy, and they followed.

Agents

Neville felt a little thrill every time he showed up to a D.A. meeting. For the first time in his life, he belonged somewhere, and to something greater than himself.

And it thrilled him even more every time he successfully jinxed someone, and even more so every time Harry ? the great Harry Potter, who had taken on Voldemort so many times and come out alive ? noticed and praised him.

Neville saw himself improving with the good practice and good teacher. Every day, he held the secret inside him, elated. He was an agent in Dumbledore?s Army, part of something good.

Shoe

Neville winced as he tripped over his own feet. His books and quills went flying as he smacked into the hard stone corridor, and he felt his face turning red as other students laughed.

He ducked his head and quietly gathered his things as a passing professor ordered everyone to disperse. He was so intent on leaving as quickly as possible that he almost jumped when someone handed his a pile of his loose parchment.

?Your shoelace is untied,? Luna said. ?That happens to me a lot.?

Neville blushed again, but he didn?t notice. And she did stay to help.

11. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Love the Luna/Neville moment at the end of Shoe.

Great pieces. :)

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks!! I think they're really cute together :)

Week Five ? James

Super

James Potter?s fans thought he was super, and he knew it went to his head a little. He couldn?t stop showing off on the Quidditch pitch or strutting though the castle halls, friends by his side.

They thought he was an ordinary kind of super (at least, Remus and Sirius did). It was nice to have them by his side to keep him grounded. And yet, they were the ones who really did make him feel special ? true friends.

There were whispers of something coming, a spreading darkness. But James Potter still had a few years left to be super.

Bat

Peter didn?t like bats and bats didn?t like Remus, but they never affected James other than to give him a sense of envy as they flew through the night, startled from the astronomy tower by boys who were supposed to be in bed.

Flying was a natural part of their bodies. It felt natural to him, too, but he needed a broomstick. He couldn?t just take off whenever he felt it, propelled by fear or hunger or just the joy of feeling the wind in his face.

So he just watched them and wished he was among them, flying high.

Wonder

As much as Lily Evans couldn?t stand James, he couldn?t return the feeling. In fact, for all his others otherwise, James couldn?t stop the huge crush he held on her.

He was surprised, when he finally got the courage to ask her to Hogsmeade with him, that she said yes. And shocked, when she actually enjoyed spending time with him.

And filled with incredible wonder and excitement when she let him kiss her as they walked back to the castle after the date.

And until the day they died, he always felt wonder every time she let him kiss her.

Hawk

James sometimes wondered at the shape he?d chosen when he became an animagus. A stag. Prongs, his friends called him with laughter, and he went by that nickname for years.

He had originally planned to become a hawk. A powerful predator who could soar through the sky. And yet, when the time came, he decided on the stag. He hadn?t been sure why ? still wasn?t. And when he saw hawks soaring over the grounds, he sometimes wondered if he?d bad a bad decision.

But every time he changed into the powerful body of a stag, he knew he?d chosen right.

Lantern

The fire had long since died, so James was little in the dark, a single lantern lighting the common room ? barely. He had lost track of the time. The rest of the House was asleep, but he couldn?t find it in him to trudge up the stairs to his room.

A soft padding of feet startled him, and he looked over to the girls? corridor, where a soft light was coming in his direction.

Lily stopped when she saw him. ?I couldn?t sleep.?

?Me either. Want to sit??

She sat beside him, and the silence wasn?t lonely with her there.

13. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Lantern was so sweet. Loved them all. :)

14. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I really love these. Besides Star Wars, Harry Potter is one of my favorite fandoms. The characters are so great.

I especially loved your Neville series. He is the other hero of the books, as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to see him onscreen in Deathly Hallows. :)

I hope you do one of these series on the twins! :)

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    How could I forget to comment?! :oops:

I love the Neville/Luna moment at the end of "Shoe". So cute. [face_love] I wish they had been a canon couple! [face_laugh]

"Lantern" was lovely. [face_love] Awww.

Great job, Nat!

16. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    awesome sets, Nat - well done :D
    =D=

17. Kriztin

Jan 4, 2009
    I'm a little behind, but I did have to say that I really loved the "Neville" series. You've captured his character perfectly and shown that he has the true definition of courage. And I've always been fond of Luna/Neville myself.

18. Kriztin

Jan 4, 2009
    "James" was wonderful too. You really have a lot of insight into the characters and a gift for making them come alive in these brief scenes. It's such a tragedy that Harry was never able to know his parents...he needed them, of course, just as parents, to raise and love and protect him...but they were special people in their own right and it's terrible that they were lost so young.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    FelsGoddess: Thanks!!

JediMara77: Thanks!! I love HP too?it was my second fandom (after SW) :D Neville is really fun :D I don?t actually have a plan for who I do?it seems to just come to me :p But I?ll definitely try to work them in! :D

Idri: [face_laugh] I [face_love] Neville/Luna ? in Nat World, they?re a couple :D Thanks!!

Maggy: Hey, long time no see!! [:D] Thanks!!

Kritzin: Thanks!! Big compliment, coming from the epic HP fanficcer :D I agree?I couldn?t believe that James and Lily were SO young when they died! 21!!

ZOMG update! Now that I finally have time . . . 8-}

This was a DVD set, so I chose UCD 1, Week 14.

Week Six ? Trelawney

Sun

Sybil Trelawney didn?t have much use for the sun.

She was a creature of the universe and dedicated her life to studying its mystical wonders. But that mostly meant working with the nighttime sky. The bright sun streaming through the windows of the castle didn?t assist her field, so she generally ignored it, shutting the curtains and relying on heat and light from the fire.

Daylight had little power over her. It was night when she truly worked, pouring over charts as she gauged the precise planetary alignments and studied their immense effect on the future of everyone she knew.

Moon

The moon travelled around the earth which travelled around the sun, pulling at the tides and the emotions of those who could do little but stare in awe. There was no doubt that it had a deep effect on everyone. The only question was, what effect?

That was why she had students study moon charts and figure out their own predictions based on their personal fortunes. She was particularly impressed with Harry Potter. For someone who was about to die at any second, he had an amazing grasp of the wonders of moon charts. Ron Weasley, on the other hand . . .

Stars

The stars always shone brightly at Hogwarts, free of the Muggle urban pollution, but Sybil was no astronomer. For her, the stars were of little use except the part they played in her predictions. The movement of the constellations was important to her work, but little else about them moved her.

There are other types of stars, of course?the ones who excel in her class, few though they are. Lavender and Parvati seemed to be the only ones who truly grasped the mystical depths of foretelling. Certainly Neville Longbottom had no future in her beloved arts?none at all.

Clouds

Sometimes, the crystal ball was cloudy and the future obscure. There were times when this frustrated her to no end?after all, she was Cassandra Trelawney?s descendant! The future should be as open to her as a book.

But sometimes, she saw things that she would have preferred not to know.

Of course, her greatest predictions?her true, big, horrible predictions?were things that she didn?t know at all. She never remembered making them, and it was kept that way. Better, some thought?Dumbledore thought?that she didn?t know. It would be too much.

Of course, she didn?t know that.

Planet

Sybil concerned about the alignment of the planets?they were very important to her predictions. So important, in fact, that she was usually studying them, closed up and alone. And when she was around others, she made no sense. ?Off on another planet? was what people said. Not that it bothered her (though mostly because she didn?t hear).

But off on another planet was where the important things about life?the FUTURE!?was, so that was where Sybil Trelawney would be. In the face of all that, what did the present matter? It played no part in her little world.

20. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    These are really great!

I love Harry Potter. :*

[:D]

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hazel: Thanks!! I'm glad you enjoyed :) I love HP too :D

Week Seven ? Oliver Wood

Iron

Oliver Wood was tough as iron, but he had to be ? he was the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, and they hadn?t won the Cup since . . . well, he didn?t want to think about it (even though he told his team ? repeatedly ? how long it had been).

When they were out on the pitch, he drilled them hard. But when they won . . . they celebrated hard. And even though Wood was often off in a corner of the Gryffindor Common Room plotting their next move, he still celebrated with his team late into the night.

Challenge

Taking on the other Houses was challenging in more ways than one. When they played Hufflepuff, it was a challenge to beat Diggory. When they played Slytherin, it was a challenge NOT to beat them. Over the head. With the Weasley twins? bats.

But the biggest challenge of all was making sure that the Gryffindor team was always pumped up and ready to play their best ? especially Potter, their Seeker. No matter how hard the rest of them played, winning the match usually came down to him. All their hopes were riding on him catching the Snitch before the others.

Stadium

During one of the best moments of Oliver Wood?s life, he could hear a thing.

The stadium was nothing but a roar of noise as the Houses cheered (or booed, in Slytherin?s case, but who cared about them?) and his teammates all came crashing together. How they all managed to descend safely to the ground, heaped together as they were, he never knew.

But that didn?t matter. All that mattered was that they had finally, finally done it. After so many years of heartbreaking losses and close misses, the Gryffindor Quidditch team had won the Quidditch Cup.

Reason to celebrate.

Chairman

Being the captain wasn?t as easy as Wood had thought. He winced when he recalled the trouble he?d given his captain, Charlie Weasley, as soon as the title came to him.

Well, not quite that soon. But the second the team started nagging him ? which was about five seconds later ? he began to regret it. And even then, he?d had no clue what trouble they would cause and how many headaches they would give him. He?s probably end up with stomach ulcers soon enough.

And yet, he didn?t step down from the job. He must be a glutton for punishment.

Chef

Oliver liked analogies. He often compared his team, the match, or anything and everything else to do with Quidditch to something else ? mostly, it seemed, to get his teammates to listen up and comprehend what he was saying.

(The analogies never went over well, particularly with the Weasleys. But that never stopped him from trying.)

Oliver liked to think of himself as the chef of the operation. He brought the ingredients (players) together, he cooked them (made them practice), and he presented them to the guests (took them on the field as they played in front of the whole school).

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I suck at updating this 8-} But since the sixth challenge is starting in May, I'd better get cracking!

Week Eight?Fred and George

Ducks

?Oi! Look what we?ve got here.?

? . . . You mean the ducks??

?No, I mean the filly pond water?yes, I mean the ducks.?

?And . . .?

?And no one?s around but us. It?s not like the octopus is going to let on.?

?You think we should steal them??

?No, just . . . borrow . . . them. Just for a bit.?

?You know, you might have an idea there.

?You think??

?Yeah. Ducks . . . Filch . . .?

?Of course, we?ll have to lock Mrs. Norris up. Wouldn?t want her to eat them.?

Money

Fred and George bet all they had on the World Cup game. It was a risk?an unlikely outcome?but they had a feeling, and they knew good things happened when they followed their instincts.

Of course, that rat Bagman had cheated them?and he owed them quite a bundle, too. It was just their luck that he would run off?penniless, in debt to the Goblins, and without paying them so much as a knut.

When Harry graciously donated his earnings to them to help them get a shop, they were honored. So they would help . . .

Uncle

They told their friends it had been a gift from a distant uncle. That wouldn?t fool their mum, of course, so they tried their hardest to avoid having her ask (and it helped when they moved out and she couldn?t give them disapproving looks at every meal).

It was a great investment, and more than that, it was a great deal of fun. They were sure to put Zonko?s out of business.

And, of course, placing certain advertisements and Hogwarts would help. Discount to students. You know, good word-of-mouth, that sort of thing. Oh yes, this woud most definitely work.

Gizmo

The twins weren?t exactly sure what kind of gizmo it was, but they liked it. It could be . . . useful.

And their father was just absent-minded enough to forget where he had placed it (or to think his had misplaced it?as long as it took them to find out what it was and get it replicated).

They didn?t know many Muggles, but all it was take was an afternoon trip up to Hogsmeade. Distract Hermione?and Ron, the little git?and ask Harry a few pointed questions.

They were sure he would be happy to help out.

Tales

George told the stories to his children.

He didn?t tell them about the battle, hot and ugly and bloody. He didn?t tell them about running after Death Eaters, bent on revenge. He didn?t tell them about sobbing over his brother?s body until it was too dangerous to stay, and after the battle, mourning with his family.

He told his children about the good time. Pranks on their mum and dad. Adventures at Hogwarts. Thte joke shop.

And even though he never forgot the sight of Fred?s limp body, he tried to remember other things: his smile, his laugh. Better memories.

23. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    For someone who was about to die at any second
    [face_laugh]

Oliver liked to think of himself as the chef of the operation. He brought the ingredients (players) together, he cooked them (made them practice), and he presented them to the guests (took them on the field as they played in front of the whole school).
    Great analogy.

and Ron, the little git
    I can hear them thinking exactly that. [face_laugh]

Tales
    :_|

Great sets!

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Fels: Thanks!!

Week Nine: Snape

Murder

Severus Snape didn?t ever really think he would murder anyone.

Oh, he dreamed about it, but not the actual blood, the actual act. He?d just wanted to make James Potter and his friends miserable, give them as much pain as they?d given him.

It wasn?t really fantasizing about killing them.

He had felt powerless from the first moment he could remember?powerless at the hands of his Muggle father, powerless against Hogwarts bullies. Felt powerless against everything but a perfectly concocted potion.

If he?d known what would happen to James Potter and his friends, he wouldn?t have fantasized at all.

Mystery

At first, Severus ignored Sirius Black?s taunting.

What did he care what Potter?s gang was up to? He was awfully curious about what that boy Lupin was doing every month, but not that curious.

But Black knew what was going on?of course, bloody prat?and he knew that Severus wanted to know. And so the taunting started.

As time passed, Severus grew determined to find out exactly what Lupin and his friends were up to every month. So he followed Black?s instructions: Poke the knot in the Whomping Willow, follow the path to the Shrieking Shack . . .

Writer

Severus wasn?t much for the finer arts; he was practical, and to him, there was nothing more practical that Potions. He didn?t have to be strong, just clever?and he was very, very clever.

It started small. Just a few adjustments, the results of little experiments. Crush the beetles instead of dicing them. Stir counterclockwise before adding the newts. Little things. But he recorded them faithfully in his textbook.

As his experiments grew more complicated, he took care to record his findings?for whom, he wasn?t sure. Not his classmates, certainly.

And that was when the Half-Blood Prince was born.

Retired

Severus sat in Dumbledore?s office, numbed by pain and horror.

It had all gone so very, very wrong.

Lily, dead. The Dark Lord, gone. A little orphaned boy with a lightning-shaped scar.

Lily, dead.

What was he going to do next?

He couldn?t go back, that was certain (not that there was anything to go back to). And Dumbledore had already said he had decided against turning him in, though Severus thought punishment would be kinder then living with this guilt.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. ?I have an idea for what to do. Horace Slugworth is retiring . . .?

Teacher

Severus had never envisioned himself as a teacher.

He didn?t like it very much?he would much have preferred Defense Against the Dark Arts to trying to teach these idiots the finer points of Potion-making when they clearly would never be able to follow even the simplest of instructions . . .

But he felt a duty. Toward Dumbledore, toward Lily.

So he watched. And he resented, but he protected where he could. And when the time came, he tried to protect as many students as possible.

And when he died, it was her eyes he saw, staring at him.

25. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Really enjoyed how he became the Half-Blood Prince. Great set! `