main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets...

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jewlmc, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I know this is awhile away but I thought I would start this thread to ask who(or what) theme are you looking forward to? I can't wait to hear what theme JW comes up for The Burrow or Knocturn Alley....and especially Lockheart.

What do you think?

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I hear JW's only writing 40 minutes of the actual score while another composer, William Ross, will be composing the rest.

3. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I think the stuff WR is composing is just repeats of JW work from The SS. JW will be doing the new main themes I am sure.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well of Souls is correct. Yes Williams is only writing 40 minutes of new music. He is writing the new themes and prolly (I assume) their major uses in the film. William Ross is coming in and arranging Williams' themes for the rest of the score for the film.

5. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I hadn't heard that. Bitesville, USA. I hate it when other people arrange JW's stuff. The best thing about JW is the arrangements he does.

Oh well. Guess I won't be buying that soundtrack. Don't need another JP3 or Superman 2 in my collection.

6. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Yeah, I don't like it when another composer rearrages JW stuff. I thought that JP3 was okay, not Great.

I'll still buy it though, since I love Harry Potter.

Does anyone know around when it is going to come out?

7. jedi_ginny

jedi_ginny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    The Chamber of Secrets soundtrack will be released on the same date as the AOTC DVD and the Lord of the Rings Collector's Edition. November 18. A day to go broke! LOL.

I love JW, and I love the stuff he did for HP. Looking forward to more Quidditch music! And maybe what he will come up with when they get to the scene in the Chamber. Maybe there will be a Fawkes' theme this time? :D

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nov 18 is not the release date for the AOTC DVD and the FOTR SE DVD. Those come out on Nov 12th.

9. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    Zoiks! Sorry sorry. Yes, you're right. November 12. For the OST, and the DVDs. I was thinking of another event on November 18. Sorry. :D

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah George Harrison's new solo album comes out on November 18. :)

I'd be really surprised if the HP 2 score comes out on Nov 18 cuz the film opens on Nov 15 and scores usually come out before the film, especially on big name films like this...

We'll see.

11. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    I checked, and it IS November 12. :D

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So the Chamber of Secrets score CD comes out Nov 12 too???? Sheesh I am not gonna have enough damn money for that day! We're now up to:

-AOTC DVD
    -LOTR: FOTR Expanded DVD
    -Pearl Jam: Riot Act
    -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets CD

Not to mention the film on the 15th, AOTC in IMAX on the 1st, two concerts I wanna see and the new George Harrison CD... GAWD!

13. CreatureX

CreatureX Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2000
    Who wants to hear the entire Chamber of Secrets soundtrack? Just like they did last year around this time with the soundtrack to the first movie, America Online has the CoS soundtrack up on one of their listening party streams. Enjoy! :)

Chamber of Secrets (soundtrack)

14. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    I was just about to post that...

15. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    Speaking of which does anyone think they could make MP3s of this?

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    erm. . .what program do you need to play this?

17. CreatureX

CreatureX Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm using 'RealPlayer' to hear the stream.

18. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    First impressions, reserve the right to change my mind in a later date. :D

If this is the eventual Nov. 12th soundtrack, it's less redundant, more variation, and perhaps less memorable than PS/SS. Hedwig's theme appears very few times; the Harry's Wondrous World theme is used beautifully in a few situations. A new theme is introduced in the second track, but it's not actually used many times. There are about 3 other tracks that use it, as I recall; there are several other new minor themes/motifs. Overall, the score allows more time to breathe with more (what sounds like) underscoring than PS/SS. It doesn't sound like a re-hash of the first score, but it definitly benifits from it.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, that's good news.

20. CreatureX

CreatureX Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2000
    The Leaky Cauldron have posted the entire track listing of the CoS soundtrack. *Warning* some of the track names are spoilers!

***SPOILERS BELOW***

01. Prologue: Book II And The Escape From The Dursleys (3:31)
    02. Fawkes The Phoenix (3:43)
    03. The Chamber Of Secrets (3:48)
    04. Gilderoy Lockhart (2:05)
    05. The Flying Car (4:07)
    06. Knockturn Alley (1:46)
    07. Introducing Colin (1:48)
    08. The Dueling Club (4:07)
    09. Dobby The House Elf (3:26)
    10. The Spiders (4:31)
    11. Moaning Myrtle (2:05)
    12. Meeting Aragog (3:18)
    13. Fawkes Is Reborn (3:18)
    14. Meeting Tom Riddle (3:36)
    15. Cornish Pixies (2:12)
    16. Polyjuice Potion (3:50)
    17. Cakes For Crabbe And Goyle (3:29)
    18. Dueling The Basilisk (5:01)
    19. Reunion Of Friends (5:07)
    20. Harry's Wondrous World (5:01)

21. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Wow, I think I liked this score better than the first. It has more energy and I like the thematic development a lot more. The action cues are also much more exciting.

Did anyone else notice that the beginning of track 4 sounds an awful lot like "No Ticket" from The Last Crusade?

Oh, and the cue that ends with the very loud statement of Voldemort's theme by the trumpets is awesome. :D

22. vlps

vlps Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 11, 2002
    how can you make this on a audio CD ?

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Ripping mp3s to CD would be considered bootlegging and as such is not something we can discuss here per the TOS...

24. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I listened to the streaming audio (unbelievably good quality, I might add) a couple of times yesterday. The first four tracks are especially impressive (all concert arrangement pieces, no doubt).

"Fawkes the Phoenix" is an excellent theme that rival's "Hedwig's Theme" from the first score. And "Gilderoy Lockhart" is a wonderful, comical piece that sounds a lot like "No Ticket" from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

While the runtime of the score available online is 1hour 10 minutes, I've read that 2 hours and 10 minutes of music were scored for Harry Potter 2. Maybe an Ultimate Edition will appear at some point with that extra hour of music.

25. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Just based on the soundtrack without seeing the movie itself, I'd say this is a much better soundtrack than the first. I noticed less repetition, which really killed the first one in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.