Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Composer confirmed for film 7

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. EllenRipley Jedi Knight

star 1
    Honestly, I don't think I'd care as long as Williams was scoring something. Whether it's Harry Potter or Indy 4 or anything else, it's still a Williams score.

BTW, AotC might as well have been written by someone else. What a mediocre effort. :p
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well most people don't feel that way about Star Wars scores or other series that Williams has scored completely. Most film score fans I know would have had a heart attack if someone else had scored a Star Wars film or an Indy film. I personally wish Williams would have done the score for GOF instead of doing Memoirs of a Geisha. And OOTP could easily have been his only score of 2007.

Anyway, I am heartened by the desire Williams has to return to the franchise. I am not sure he's ever done that before, so I think it's good.
  3. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm so glad he scored Memoirs of a Geisha. Not because a score by him in GoF would have been lackluster, but because Geisha was, for the most part, a different type of score for Williams. He's done so many fantasy adventure movies that hearing something different coming from him was great. If he had scored GoF I don't think the quality would have been as high as Geisha.

I do think it's interesting that Williams says he wants to do the final film. He said that Geisha is the only film he's ever asked to score. I wonder what will happen if he does ask to score DH. If David Yates remains director, I think the task will remain with Hooper.

It'll be interesting not only to see who scores it in the end, but to read all the discussion that will inevitably follow, haha.
  4. EllenRipley Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm hoping the rumours of Cuaron returning to direct turn out to be true. Cuaron, Williams and Potter together again... Nice.
  5. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I would LOVE it if Cuaron returned to direct the last film. But I've also heard a rumor that Chris Columbus wants to come back and finish the series. That I would hate.
  6. EllenRipley Jedi Knight

star 1
    That is something we can agree on!
  7. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I would actually love it if Columbus came back. I didn't know he wanted to take the director's chair again -- this is the best news I've heard all day. He had a great visual style for the first two films that Cuaron ruined. He's just an all around stellar filmmaker.

....... :p

Cuaron back would be great.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Ugh what? Chris Columbus' films are overly schlocky and sentimental, he did a horrible job directing the HP kids and his HP films are too long, too slow and too much trying to be exactly the books on film.
  9. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    Note the " :p " -- I was being sarcastic.
  10. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Oh thank god. I wasn't sure.
  11. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
  12. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
  13. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Columbus may be the most boring director on the face of the earth. Cuaron has, to date, directed the only Potter film I can actually tolerate, so him returning would be awesome. Williams returning would also be fantastic, but at this point I don't really care either way.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Then why post in this thread? :p ;)
  15. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    Let me know when the jury's back on this. ;)
  16. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You're right. Screw you guys, I'm outta here.

;)
  17. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  18. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, according to an article in the Los Angles Time, Deathly Hallows will be split into two films and be directed by David Yates. This most likely means that Hooper will finish out the franchise.

Not sure how I really feel about that decision really. I have no problem with the Yates' decision -- I thought OotP was a very well made movie, but I don't know if I want Hooper back for the end... yet. Although I defended his different approach to scoring OotP, I did admit it has its problems and would be interested in if he improves with Half Blood Prince. If his new score is better, I'm all for it, but I don't think he's completely proven he can handle it yet.

Of course, it's not official that Hooper will be back, but it seems likely.
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Dear god I hope not.
  20. DARTH_BELO Force Ghost

star 4
    I was really dissappointed to hear DH would be split up. I mean, how will Part 1 be any good? The real "pivotal" events didn't start happening until the second half of the book!

But after thinking about it, I guess I will end up glad they did split it. There's just SO much in the story, so many subplots-and this time each one of them are crucial to understanding the ending-that there's no way they could fit all of that in one 2 1/2 hour movie...I am just disapponted really that I'll have to wait ANOTHER year to see the final end.

As far as John Williams doing the score,

I guess we'll have to see...

I for one truly hope this is true. Especially for the ending of Deathly Hallows. There could be some great themes throughout the entire movie. I'm picky about score for a movie's ending...really just about movie endings in general. Deathly Hallows had a great ending, and John Williams has always done great with (score) grand finales to movies! (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, The Harry Potter movies he worked on to name a few.) ONE of my favorite score endings of all time was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets! Fantastic!

Hopefully he will be doing the score to bring that kind of feeling and magnificence back into the last Harry Potter film-reminding us all (through music) what it was like when the Movie series first began...
  21. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    YAY for two movies.

BOO if Williams doesn't comes back. :(
  22. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
  23. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    Even if Hooper does a better job with HBP, I'd still want Williams back for the end. Williams wants to come back and I'm sure the studio would love to have him for the right price. If I were Yates, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to work with John Williams.
  24. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
  25. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    I'd prefer Williams scoring a nice arty film.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.