main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    So, do you guys think Doyle should come back for OOTP? Or should they bring in a new composer to cut his teeth on the franchise? And if so, who?

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I would be happy for either Doyle or Williams to do OOTP. I wouldn't like to see a new composer, however. Let's keep at least some semblance of continuity.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Doyle can do OOTP but I think Williams needs to come back for HBP. The events of that book just need his touch.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't know. Changing the director every movie, it might be interesting to see where different composers take the music. . .

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I know you didn't, but that's what I meant with my sig.

/LM

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, I certainly hope that regardless of who is doing the music, 'Fawkes theme' makes a comeback in OOTP and HBP. Certain scenes require it, I think.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But changing directors is exactly why the composer should stay the same. There is enough of a different feel without changing the music too. Especially when the first three films were all done by the same guy. Like it or not, Williams music and the films ARE synonymous. I've had a lot of friends and family say they loved the film but missed the music. But the change HAS been made and it worked alright. I don't see the point in turning this into Star Trek with a different composer for each film. There has to be continuity.

8. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I think John Williams and Patrick Doyle should BOTH work on the score.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    LOL! THAT will never happen.

10. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    OFT. Let's also get some 'Window to the Past' in there if we can. :D

-'Fawkes' is one of the best themes JW's ever written

11. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Strilo??? I agree completely..As great as GOF is...something was indeed missing.

12. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Overall, I liked the score. I actually bought it and listened to before I saw the film, trying to guess which cues would be used for which event (didn't even cheat by looking at the track names!) I wasn't very successful. At all. The score fits the movie pretty well. Although IMO the score sounds rushed, the film moves at a breakneck pace. The dissonant version of hedwig's theme wasn't bad, and the track titled cedric's death is executed quite well.

However.

I HATED the pop tunes. Emperor's Black Bones and Pointy Fingernails! Where in **** did that come from? "Do the hippogriff"? I mean they aren't bad songs in themselves, but in a Harry Potter movie?

*screams and tears out hair*

ahem.

When I read the book, I always assumed that the writers would take the weird sisters out, just as they had the "Hogwarts school song" from the Sorcerer?s Stone. It's just such an awkward section in the book, and destroys the suspension of disbelief of the world that Rowling created. Just exactly how do ELECTRIC guitars, and mics work in an area with no electricity?

They could have cut in the rave scene from the 2nd matrix. Digitally add a few more clothes, and take the sweat level down, and you have the scene. In Harry Potter. I'm already looking forward to what SNL and MTV are gonna do with the film.

First post in teh Music board.

Be Excellent to each other, and Party on Dude!
    May The Force be with you,

bgii_2000

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I hate to point out the obvious, but.......magic. :)

14. bgii_2000

Jan 21, 2005
    I LOVE that excuse. Really. You can apply it anywhere to any nitpick in the series. It's so awsomely usefull. They are Electric guitars, not magical guitars. But of course I don't actually know that...

Anyone else share my sentiments on the score? Or not share?

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think the score is brilliant. As far as what you think of the Weird Sisters stuff and the electric guitars, I think that it adds realism to the kids. What ELSE are teenage kids going to be listening to. It would be worse to have some awful ancient sounding "magic" music or something. Might as well ask why the kids wear normal looking clothes a lot of the times instead of Wizard robes. It adds realism. I think it fits the Yule Ball well, and THAT is what it's supposed to do.

16. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    As much as I dislike the songs, I have to agree that they are appropriate given that it's a dance for teenagers.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Indeed. I didn't even import those rock songs into iTunes. Not really my thing. But then I never liked Pulp either.

18. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    Now I have only seen the movie once and have not heard the score by itself, but after one time, I think the music was the weak link in the movie. I do not think that there was enough thematic material to tie it to the other movies. I agree completely with Strilo about when Harry's parents appear. But all throughout the movie I was trying to decide whether Doyal was trying to copy Danny Elfman or Howard Shore. I'm sorry but I just didn't think it was all that impressive. There are some times when I think it might fit, but I did not find anything memorable in the score. Overall I thought the score was lacking.

***Note: this is not a comparrison to the scores done by Williams. This is an assesment done on the score itself.***

19. bgii_2000

Jan 21, 2005
    To all the people who say: "But that's what they do at a teenage dance!"

True.

However it's not a teenage dance. In the book, and the movie(albeit in a shorter sequence) McGonagall makes a huge deal about how the yule ball is very traditional sort of dance. I never understood why Ms. Rowling put the whole rave scene in there in conflict with her previous plot point. I always figured that Steve Knowles would take it out in the script, just as he did with the "school song" section in the first book/movie adaption. On a side note, if you listen carefully he must have regretted the decision greatly, as he put the song back in in GoF.

Anyway, what's done is done, burned into cellulose forever. Oh well.

To all the people who say: "There's not enough theme-age!"

True

But IMHO the speed of the editing doesn't really allow for that much thematic development. There are so many extreme jump cuts in the film, and no character is on screen enough at one time, that there's no time to play through a whole theme. The exception here, is the Harry's parents appear scene, and I agree that something could be done here.

Hopefully they will give us a real DVD this time around that will possibly shed some insight on how Pat created the score.

bgii_2000

20. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I love the score for Goblet of Fire. It's really great.

In the final trailer for the film (the US trailer), there's a bit of music that plays in the middle that I don't remember hearing in the film. Was this music made specifically for the trailer or was it part of another film? Its kind of cheesy, but I really like it.

21. bgii_2000

Jan 21, 2005
    It's from PoA. It's the cue that plays while Sirius is talking to Harry after he has been rescued from the tower. I'm not sure what the track is called on the CD, but I know you can also hear it in the credits (the track called mischief managed).

22. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I don't know if we're on the same page or not. I'm referring to the music in the middle of this trailer. It starts when Dumbledore starts talking about the Tri-Wizard tournament and lasts much of the rest of the trailer. I really like it, but I don't know what its from.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i like that music to. but i'm in the same boat as u. i can't figure out what part of the movie its from.

24. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    The music I keep listening to on the OST, is the Hogwarts March. After seeing the film, and hearing it played just before the Champions enter the maze, made everything seem light and cheery. Having read the book, I knew what was going to happen in the maze, it just fit really well, knowing that the wizarding world was about to be turned upside down.

25. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    Honestly, don't you ever read Hogwarts: A History? Muggle devices that run on electicity don't work at Hogwarts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.