main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah, yeah. Someone on a SW board has the audacity not to pack his top ten scores with at least eight by John Williams. Teh horror. Teh horror.

2. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004

Doyle's score is no darker than Williams' POA, which I consider the best score in the series. I hear no Elfmanisms in it either, but I'm sure he would have come up with something more interesting than this, though he'd be wise to stay away.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Sense... of... humor...

I think GOF is substancially darker than POA. But then so is the book, so... God the first track has quite an Elfman feel to it at times.

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I agree. Similarly, the first few notes of 'Voldemort' make me instantly think of Batman. The whole score just sounds more gothic and dark to me, I can't really explain it.

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    . . . :confused:

:p

6. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    I think we're at a time of creative bankruptcy in Hollywood and abroad as viewers, readers and listeners seem grateful for almost anything that looks to be of value. I'm afraid this leads to "pretty good" movies, books or scores being touted as "great" simply because they're the best on hand. Losing sight of what constitutes greatness has made most people settle for second best, when we really shouldn't.

I really don't understand how others are hearing that GOF is more gothic and "darker" than POA. I'd say this score is about the lightest and most disjointed and awkward in the series, although that may be suitable for a series that seems to show teen lust as its top priority. Potter fans have been claiming it as better than Williams' superior scores, but they really only like it because it's new, so I'm very sure their critical ears will take effect after the initial hype wears off.

7. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Look, while I can understand that a lot of my enthusiasm for the score may well wear off in time, I think that this debate is pointless. I can't prove to you that it is dark, and neither can you prove the opposite. I can only say that I like it and you can only say that you don't and we'll run round in circles from there. Which personally is something I don't particularly want to do. :)

8. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I think a few themes are pretty dark and some of the music does suggest some very dark stuff, but overall I still think it possesses that magical essence that it should. I find it to be a very beautiful and varied score - just the way I like my movie scores. :p

9. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    Oh, well. I tried. [face_whistling]

10. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    hey what happened to every one? you all know that its back up on aol?

11. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    After listening to the score on AOL a few days ago, I'll have to retract me previous statement. :p

I absolutely love the track "Voldermort," and the score as a whole (save the songs at the end.)

And like that...he's gone.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
  13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Excellent review. Thanks, Mas.

My only query:

The shimmery ?Underwater Secrets?, with its exotic oboe melody and hypnotic come-hither mermaid vocalisations, leads into the second Tri-Wizard set-piece,

I do not remember this piece. . . :confused:

14. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    anyone out there have XM radio? They just got it GOF...and they are playing a track every hour this weekend on the cinemagic channel.

15. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I have been playing the GOF soundtrack with my revenge of the sith dvd. Some of it is cool and some of it is so funny.

16. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Some nice tracks in there, but it sounds more like a sequel to the original Batman score. Sure it reuses old Williams' themes, but Williams' music has this special feel to it.

Although I did not like the Potter movies, I found the music absolutely brilliant. The 4th just sounds different. Not on the negative side, but I liked Williams' Potters better.

17. master_retron

master_retron Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    it would have been interesting to see what howard shore would have cranked out for GoF. His scores for the LOTR trilogy were amazing.

18. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    They were great, but he has a rather meditative style (that's a reason why he was not hired for King Kong). I doubt he can write different styled music.

19. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    Howard Shore did compose for King Kong.
    --------

I only ever watched Harry Potter because of John Williams involvment I absolutley hate Harry Potter otherwise.

20. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Check out this!

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Fact: Howard Shore did compose a score for King Kong.
    Fact: James Newton Howard replaces Howard Shore.
    The one doesn't exclude the other one. I suggest reading your own link. It says that it was even recorded.

oh, and, uh, yay for Harry Potter. (sorry, that I can't say much on-topic, but I had to point this out...)

22. han_solo_321

Dec 14, 2002
    Well the movies is almost out. I can't wait to hear the music in the film :)

23. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    HATE HARRY POTTER!!!!8-} [face_not_talking] [face_not_talking] :_|

But thats impossible!!!!!

:p

24. han_solo_321

Dec 14, 2002
    Harry Potter rocks.

25. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I just found out that the film isn't released until December 1 here. Curse you, Australia!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.