Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. -Courtney- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I used to love Harry Potter when I was a youngling, but then I discovered The Lord Of The Rings & ever since then I have thought of Harry Potter as a childish book that copies LOTR. But I then discovered that John William did the score, so I continued to watch the films.
  2. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Harry Potter copies Lord of the Rings?
  3. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Isn't it obvious? Frodo goes to a boarding school, lives with vicious relatives and dates females.
  4. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    He might mean that the dementors are a lot like the black riders.

If anything HP copys star wars!

Harry is found by Hagrid and taken from is uncle and aunts

Luke is found by Obi Wan and taken from is uncle and aunts

Han = Ron
    Leia = Hermionie

They both get magic powers!

5. Draxtralia Jedi Knight

star 1
    I used to like it until I discovered Rowling is a hack, who people are afraid to criticise because they're intimidated by all her power, wealth and the legions of lemmings she commands who kiss her butt and lick her toes.
  6. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, Rowling is the new Maggie Thatcher.

...and this thread really is getting very far off topic.
  7. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    Only an hour until the film. I cant wait to hear the music in the film!
  8. war_monger Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    None of the music stood out to me as truly spectacular, but I really liked what Doyle did with Hedwig's theme. Definitely the most memorable part of the score (from one viewing).
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Loads of the music stood out for me. The opening is brilliant. The music when the foreign students arrive is great. Harry and Cho meeting in the owlry is fantastic...Cedric's death music is phenomenal... the score working brilliantly well in the film!
  10. war_monger Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll be sure to pay close attention to those scenes when I see it again this weekend. :D
  11. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I also love the Golden Egg cue as it is in the film. With the Dragon fight. Really cool.
  12. redsabreanakin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hmmm..interesting. I've heard some on xm radio and wasn't to thrilled with it maybe I need to see it in context with the film. I couldn't go tonight but looking forward to next week. It seems we have some PROS and CONS here.
  13. -Courtney- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well I think I will start a thread in the amphitheatre where we can all hate Harry Potter together & talk about how much it copies Star Wars & LOTR... See you there!
  14. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    *waves fist at all who have seen the film*

[face_frustrated]
  15. war_monger Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just got back from seeing it again *dodges waving fist* and one moment stood out in particular this time: when Harry returns from the graveyard with Cedric's body and the Hogwarts band starts playing happily, it really made the scene hurt. A lot. The music that followed was wonderful, but the real emotional punch in the gut was that band. Wow.
  16. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I agree that the sharp contrast there really puts the moment into stark emotional relief. A very intense scene, especially for Harry Potter. Certainly brings a tear to my eye, aided by Doyle's excellent music at that moment.
  17. RogueBoga1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great score......but just not John Williams.
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    But to expect all scores to be John Williams is to expect all classical music to be Beethoven. Not everyone is the Maestro.
  19. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't really care for this score. I'm hoping Williams will do the next Potter film though. And I wonder where my post went.[face_plain]
  20. war_monger Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I really don't care who scores the next one, but I really want Williams back for HBP. I can't imagine anyone else scoring the final scenes. Dumbledore's murder, the fight between Harry and Snape (really looking forward to that), the funeral... it's gotta be JW.
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I don't see how some of these tracks can be disregarded. The opening, Harry in Winter, Death of Cedric, Hogwart's Hymn... they are great cues.
  22. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I still don't care much for the first two scores. They were pretty dull to me. The third was one of Williams' better efforts from the last decade. Now that I've listened to the fourth a couple times, I'm going to listen to the third again before bothering to even attempt to compare them.
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    With so many amazing and memorable themes I cannot fathom how on earth the first two scores could possibly be boring... :p
  24. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with Mastadge on the first two HP scores. Yes, they had memorable themes and "Hedwig's Theme" is an excellent suite, but the themes are repeated ad nauseam and with not enough variation. And there are standout cues, such as "The Chess Game," but overall I am left wanting and bored.

POA was excellent, however, and showed new life in Williams' compositions. I listen to that score often and find myself constantly engaged.

As far as GOF, I've only listened to it once in full and I have yet to see the film, but it's good enough, although its lack of fidelity to Williams' established themes makes it difficult to hear as a part of the Potter world. I'll have to give it a few more listens before I make my up my mind.
  25. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    To me, the last minute of the track "Voldemort" was worth the purchase.

And like that...he's gone.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.