Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with Son-of-Suns on this issue. Voldemort is well worth the price of the whole CD.

And yes, the first two had fantastic themes. But as overall scores they were a bit repeditive. But that doesn't discount the fact that the themes are brilliant. Still, the third is the best overall score, even if the "Double Trouble" theme really annoys me.
  2. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    All I heard was the flying theme for about 5 times in the first OST.
  3. Master_Jedi80 Jedi Master

star 3
    i have only seen the film, and only seen it once.
    But over all, i wasnt to impressed with the score...

I guess i need to hear the tracks individually, and see the film again to truly pass judgement.

But, just watchign the movie, i never got the familiar themes i love in Harry Potter mives...Even the beginnig variation of the main Potter them was changed...

Again, i need to give it another chance, and pay mor eattention to the sound during the big action scenes, but the little emotional musical cues, i didnt find this time around...

Hopefully, it will grow on me with repeat viewings
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I gotta say, third time seeing the film... the score works really well. This time round there were two moments I wanted Williams' themes. One I forgot. The other is when Harry's Parents appear I think there should be a taut and emotional version of the Window to the Past theme. As it stands, what Doyle wrote for this moment IS good but Williams' theme would have worked better, in my opinion.

That having been said, the tracks that now stand out to me as the best of the score and quite good:

- The Story Continues
    - Foreign Visitors Arrive
    - Rita Skeeter
    - Harry In Winter
    - Potter Waltz
    - Voldemort
    - Death of Cedric
    - Hogwarts' Hymn
  5. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    After seeing the film, I really enjoyed the score. It certainly was a different kind of style than what Williams brought, but it worked for the film, and in the end that's what really matters. I have to agree that it would have been nice to see a few more of Williams' themes included. On that note, I 100% agree with Strilo that when Harry's parents show up, it would have been great to hear a grand emotional rendition of the Window to the Past.
  6. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Those are pretty much my choices. I especially love the bit in Foreign Visitors Arrive when the ship comes out of the water, the last minute or so of Voldemort, and the Hymn.

If you like the Potter Waltz, check out Doyle's Little Princess score.
  7. MJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    When I first learned that John Williams would not be doing the score, I was outraged. That's like saying Williams would not do the score for the next Star Wars. He's like an integral part of the cast after doing the first 3 movies. That said, I liked the score that Patrick Doyle composed for Goblet of Fire. It wasn't as good as the score for Prisoner of Azkaban, but it was still impressive. It was disappointing that the movie did not begin with the toy piano playing Hedwig's Theme since that's how the other 3 movies started. Imagine a Star Wars movie not beginning with the Star Wars theme. And the opening score sounded like it was from a Batman movie!

Anyway, my favorites:
    - The Quidditch World Cup (but very disappointed that the movie does not show the actual match at all!)
    - Neville's Waltz
    - The Golden Egg
    - Harry in Winter (the best one, especially when remembering the scene between Harry and Cho... ah, young love... then disappointment that Cho already has a date.)
    - Death of Cedric
    - Another Year Ends

I am hoping John Williams returns for Order of the Phoenix, and stays for Half-Blood Prince and Book 7. They should hire him with NOW to do the rest of the series! :D
  8. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    See, I was hoping Doyle would replace Williams for Prisoner, seeing as the first two Potter scores were underwhelming and Doyle had worked with Cuaron several times before. I'm glad he did it because the score for Prison turned out to be a whopper, but I'm also glad he came in for number four. I don't feel Williams is an integral part of the series. Unlike Star Wars, HP is more along the lines of the Aliens movies -- different directors bringing their different styles (or lack of style in Colombus' case) and tweaks to the mix. While continuity sometimes suffers slightly from this sort of arrangement, it does tend to keep things fresh and interesting that could otherwise quickly become old and stagnant.
  9. redsabreanakin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Finally saw it today. A very enjoyable movie, like it a lot. I found the score to be quite unremarkable though. I always make it a habit to listen to the score in any movie; but the movie really overshadowed the music here. I really payed more attention to the movie this time. I associate the work by Williams to be a part of HP, and I think he was sadly missed. I just didn't get any grand majestic scores associated with the world of wizarding, and the action sequences could have really used some more pulse-sounding music. My two cents.
  10. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm fine with Doyle continuing the HP movies score-wise. It took JW until Azkaban to pump out an overall good score (rather than just select tracks from the previous two being good.) Also, considering how much I like Doyle and Cuarón's collaboration on "A Little Princess," I wouldn't have minded had Doyle taken over for the third movie. This might seem as kind of a 180 from my previous posts when all we had was a preview of the soundtrack and I said it didn't contain the same mysticism of Williams' score, but when listening to the whole thing, I'd say I really prefer Doyle's score to Williams'.

And like that...he's gone.
  11. redsabreanakin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ^^^^^^^^^ interesting, so are you saying that you didn't miss "Hegwicks theme" and "Harry's Wonderous World" (or whatever the tracks are called). I know they were in there; but only very briefly. I guess it just seems to me that Williams is able to give the music character (to me anyway) kinda like...the force theme= luke, Raiders= Indiana Jones, The March= Superman. I identify with the characters so much through the music..I just didn't feel it this time.
  12. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't miss them at all, but I did like the occasional nods to them throughout the score.

And like that...he's gone.
  13. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Doyle's score is fantastic as an overall, workable score in much the same vein as a Herrman score. William's scores have left us with many good themes, but only one consistently good and exiting score.
  14. Darth_Maestro Force Ghost

star 4
    The only thing i don't like is that people keep saying is:
    "...still just isn't Wiliams"
    :rolleyes:

last time i checked Doyle wasn't cloned on Kamino from a strand of Williams dna.o_O
    (sorry couldn't keep away from the star wars refrences):)

i think he did a fantastic job. Hardly missed the ol' maestro.;)
  15. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Would people prefer this if Doyle used more thematic cues? Ex. Peter Pettigrew's theme, Voldemort's theme, your typical 3 or 4 Potter themes with the same name, Fawkes, that sort of thing? Would people like it more?
  16. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    The music is excellent, though the movie is mediocre. I might buy the soundtrack.

The original is the best
    /LM
  17. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Indiana_Fett, if Doyle had used more themes from the previous works this score would be brilliant, and not just really good.
  18. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Themes don't make scores brilliant. It's how they are utilized that makes a difference.

Themes are overrated
    /LM
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Themes are not overrated. The tie the music directly to the story in a way that simple non-thematic score cannot. When a series is established with thematic scores, as Harry Potter was, it seems odd to move away from that. While I don't think Doyle needed to use Williams' music all over, there are a few places where one of Williams' themes would really have taken the moment to the next level. I use the moment where Harry's parents appear in GOF. With an emotionally sweeping strings rendition of the WIndow to the Past theme, that moment is even more striking than it was as Doyle did it.
  20. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, I completely agree with you Strilo.

And I still have not seen the film. [face_frustrated]
  21. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    You haven't? Then I can't reply....

/LM
  22. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well it isn't out in Australia until December 1. But if you are worried about spoilers, don't worry, I don't mind. :)
  23. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Alrighty then! :D
    I wasn't really going to reveal anything but my opinion of the film. Well, I kind of did that already, but hey.... Here goes:

If one believes that a heavier use of themes could've saved this movie, then I really think that themes are overrated ;)

Harry Potter is a brilliant book series
    /LM
  24. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Heh, you are correct. I can't really respond to that. :p
  25. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well then it's a good thing that is not what I am saying. :) I don't think the film OR the score needs "saving" at all. I was merely saying that there are a few places that Williams established themes could have made the moment a bit better. That's all.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.