main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    anyone got anything to say about the music? personally i think Hooper did brilliant jobs for the last two films.it cant be denied that OotP was a little underdeveloped but that only applies to the score when listened by itself. as part of the film it IMO did brilliantly. (i'm a little bias as i love the album too)

this time round i think Hooper knocked it out of the park. the music for malfoy's scenes and ginny and harry's scenes were subtly beautiful. the quidditch theme from Azkaban made a triumphent return and there was a briliant use of a latin choir throughout many of Dumbledore's scenes.

was a little disapointed that two tracks were reused from the OotP score tho. i wonder hy that was as there was plenty of material recoreded for HBP.

thoughts anyone?
    -Doodie

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I've only seen the film once and I tend not to notice the score until the 3rd or 4th viewing, but in this case, what I noticed was that there was no demonstrative, declarative, decisive theme in HBP. The score constantly seemed to be telling us "Something is about to happen, it's right around the corner! Just wait, you'll see, a big payoff is coming, we promise...!" Then the climax is something of a let-down and the music feels like it lied to us or at least gave us false hope. On the other hand, it was all very lushly orchestrated, and I'm sure I missed certain subtleties that I'll likely notice in future viewings.

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Apparently Dudley will be returning in the next film. Great!

4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    This movie was pretty bad. The villain wasn't even in the flick, just his minions...boring stuff all around.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Except that it is a setup for the next movie. And that Dumbledore dies.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That's because the antagonist in this one is Malfoy/Snape, not Voldemort. Just like how Sirius was supposedly the villain of Prisoner of Azkaban, at least until Wormtail was revealed.

7. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I liked this film, I found it a great adaption of the novel and a good sequel to Order of the Phoenix which, to be truthful, was always going to a be a tough act to follow. The only thing this film messed up on is that they didn't explain enough about the Half-Blood Prince like the book did. 5/5

8. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Can anyone explain why:

A)Mr. Weasley is clutching a pillow in this scene?

[image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/pillow.JPG] [image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/pillow2.JPG] [image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/pillow3.JPG] [image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/pillow4.JPG]

B)Harry, Ron, and Hermione are setting fire to bits of newspaper while sitting on the floor giggling about hold old Dumbledore is?

[image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/burning%20newspaper.JPG] [image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/burning%20newspaper2.JPG] [image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/burning%20newspaper3.JPG] [image=http://www.bradgranath.net/Temp_tfn_pix/HBP%20pix/burning%20newspaper4.JPG]

Also, Clickie.

9. GCX-15

GCX-15 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2009
    Why is Harry Potter such a briliant idea that everyone likes? The name Harry Potter doesn't even link with a boy magician. It's just a normal name. I really can't respect female writers and filmmakers. I think they make insignificant silly things up.

10. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Of course it's a normal name. It's the last sort of name you'd expect from a wizard, much less the savior of the wizarding world. This fits in with the fact that Harry spends the first eleven years of his life thinking he's a nobody, and the fact that apart from being Voldemort's nemesis he's still a pretty ordinary guy by wizard standards throughout the series. The names of the individual installments (Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, etc.) all have strange or magical connotations and tip you off as to what the genre is.

As for the second part- I'm a guy, but some of my favoritre writers are female, and I have to take offense on their behalf.

11. GCX-15

GCX-15 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2009
    No, the titles were probably emulated from the Indiana Jones titles and they sound nowhere near as good or effective. I can't beleive I watched those movies and let myself be taken for an insignificant ride whatever that is. I can't think of one good female writer or director. I pretended to like the parent trap once, I think because I was heavily on medication. As far as J.K Rowling goes she seems to like her own ideas way too much and they don't make any sense. What is 'Voldemort'.... stupid. It belongs in a stupid childrens book. I wrote a story for university once and it was called 'Jan Starkid' and it had characters like 'sorceror secrades','count reliffe', 'count tomaltoffe' and 'emperor nym'. It was kind of like Harry Potter but I like my ideas more.

12. GCX-15

GCX-15 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2009
    I actually got an A for it. It was about Jan who was an ordinary boy who one day sees his girlfriend kissing another boy, talks to his mum about it, takes a walk by himself cause he's had enough one night, discovers something in the bushes which sends him to the 'opposite world' which travels in the opposite direction to this world. So then he meets the bad guys of this world in the village of Dreknar (i really like that name) and has a literature fight with the emperor and bad sorcerors (I thought it would influence the literature teacher to like it). I liked the story cause it was trippy.

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Can we change the thread title to reflect the new movie coming out this (coming) year?

14. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Wow, you must be popular.

15. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    There is a Deathly Hallows thread already.

16. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm a fan of the series but the films just seem to get worse and then even worse. Everything just seemed to go downhill after Order of the Phoenix. It's depressing. Hopefully the last two films are better than this one.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My issue lies with the director choice and the writing staff. The first two, while hated by some, were the most faithful adaptions of the books. The third, kept the most important parts of the books and made slight changes where necessary and also sacrificed plot points that some might argue were significant (the identity of the maruaders, who gave harry the firebolt etc.) The third was also a deviation in tone and appearance for several characters. Flitwick (White hair and beard to short black hair and mustache) and Dumbledore in particular have very different wardrobes. Where Richard Harris had big white hair and beard and ornate robes, Michael Gambon had smaller, greyer hair and beard and a consistent attire he kept for the next 3 films.
    By the 4th movie, as the books grew larger, the changes were larger. Moody's appearance in the film is different from the book (eye strap over enlarged magical eye in the socket for instance), the end was changed (no Sphinx in the maze, Barty Jr. doesn't get a Dementor's kiss), and some plots dropped entirely (No Winky, Dobby or Bagman).

The 5th movie seemed more like a clip show of each chapter than a coherent film. It jumped around it changed the order of events and left out arguably crucial plot points. But as bad as that one was, the 6th was worse. For no discernable reason, Dumbledore is dumbed down. Rather than know that Riddle was asking about Horcruxes, they muffle the word. Rather than hint at what the other horcruxes might be, Dumbledore says nothing. Leaving Harry with a lot of work to do in movie 7. Oh and they added a stupid Burrow scene that will be pointless in the next movie

18. TheGDBatman

TheGDBatman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2010
    Not a fan of this director. 3 and 4 were awesome because they didn't just regurgitate the books scene by scene. Half Blood was my favorite book of the lot, and for me the most 'meh' flick since 2. Felt nothing when Dumbledore died. Can't believe they're using the same bloody guy for the last two flicks.

19. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I can't wait for 50 years time where they re-make these.

There is just so much promise that isn't fulfilled, but hopefully splitting Deathly Hallows into 2 movies will be a way forward.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We get a new trailer next week with Twilight. Probably see it on the net on Wednesday after 11 am sometime.

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Anyone know the time gap on the release between DH1 & DH2?

22. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    According to IMDB, Part 2 is due in July next year. This makes pretty good marketing sense as well as it would mean dvd/blu ray entire series release ready for Christmas.

23. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Trailer. Looking very, very good. Though I'm surprised they showed that much of the climax in a trailer.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I know! I wonder why they were showing scenes from part 2 in it?

25. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it was a trailer for the whole thing, not just part I, hence the scenes from the climax. In any case, it was a great trailer, nice and epic. Can't wait:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.