main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, well that came directly from David Yates' mouth, so no 16 year old Tom Riddle apparently. At least, I think so. I'm hoping they aren't using the CoS Actor because they don't plan on doing the 16 year old memory. They might just go from Tom Riddle as a 11 year old and then Tom Riddle as a 30 year old and just skip that 16 year old part.

However if they do plan on doing a 16 year old Riddle memory, then this is bad and inconsistent.

2. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    It depends on the scene(s) they are going to film.
    I feel certain we will see the 11 y/o Tom Riddle in the Orphanage memory (Ch 13 - The Secret Riddle), for which they will have to cast a young actor.

If we see Riddle ask for the position of DADA teacher after he has been away practicing dark magic (Ch 20 - Lord Voldemort's Request) for many years, his appearance has changed significantly, so I would suspect that Fiennes could become this Voldemort with different makeup or is this where they are going to use his younger brother?

3. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Hm, I liked the whole Harry-getting-Slughorn's-real-memory storyline so he can figure out what horcruxes are and why Slughorn was so ashamed of the memory. I wouldn't want to see them just give a quick explanation to Dumbledore or - -God-forbid -- Hermione (highly unlikely though). I guess we'll just have to wait for more news on the matter.

4. Dezdmona

Jun 9, 2005
    Well, they are definitely casting a Young Tom Riddle...here's the Casting Call:

If you would like to apply, please go to: Earls Court Exhibition Centre, Warwick Rd., London, SW5, UK. The makers of HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE invite boys, 15-18, resident in the UK or Ireland, to apply to audition for the role of Tom Riddle. You will be asked to show a copy of your passport as proof of age and nationality. You will fill in an application form, have your photo taken and will briefly be seen by the casting team. If the team thinks you are appropriate for the role, they will be in touch. Come as yourself, no make up, no costumes. This is the only male role being sought, and if you are not between the age of 15-18 or you are not resident in the UK or Ireland and do not have the necessary paperwork with you, you will not be permitted to make an application.

And Lavender Brown:

The makers of HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE invite girls, 15-18, resident in the UK or Ireland, to apply to audition for the role of Lavender Brown. You will be asked to show a copy of your passport as proof of age and nationality. You will fill in an application form, have your photo taken and will briefly be seen by the casting team. If the team thinks you are appropriate for the role, they will be in touch. Come as yourself, strictly no make up, no costumes, no high heels. This is the only female role being sought, and if you are not between the age of 15-18 or you are not resident in the UK or Ireland and do not have the necessary paperwork with you, you will not be permitted to make an application.

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Having finished DH, I really hope they find a place to put in the rest of Snape's Worst Memory from OOTP. The punch to the gut from realizing what Snape did when he called Lily "Mudblood" when she tried to defend him...wow.

6. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't see how they can't. Even if they don't include that scene specifically, at least show Snape's remorse in a different memory or something. I'm hoping the films start to appreciate the depth and tragic nature of Severus Snape and start to push him back to the front row of priorities. I think they will.

7. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    It'll be tough because due ot his very small role in DH, All hes really got is HBP. And hes not in it that much (Hes in the ootp novel more). Hes not important till what will be the last 10 minutes. And in DH hes just in 3 scenes + the pensieve. I honestly dont see how they can, despite Alan Rickman's superb acting, give him a fraction of the book character's depth with the two films left.

8. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    All in favor of agreeing that they screwed things up? :p

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    He might have less time in the books as we progress, but we need to see every scene Snape is in. Nothing can be cut. The films already cut him down to nothing. Goblet of Fire was almost completely Snape-less.

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So for casting suggestions... it has previously been suggested by someone above that Jim Broadbent for the role of 'Slughorn', however my suggestion would be Matt Lucas. I think he could portray the character well provided he doesn't go over the top and doesn't make the role too comedic.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Matt Lucas is way too young to play Slughorn. They need to cast someone who is at least 50.

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The most I'm worried about is the score (a depressing rendition of Fawke's theme MUST play at the end!, and I want a horcrux theme) and Dumbledore. The plot has been confusing for everyone who hasn't read the books since Prisoner of Azkaban, so I think it's pretty much too late to worry about whether no-books audiences will understand WTH's going on.

13. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Kenneth Welsh from the movie Day after Tomorrow should be Slughorn. Slap a walrus mustache on him and he's ready to go.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Ah yes, the Dick Cheney clone. I remember him. The only problem is, he's Canadian. The principal Harry Potter actors must be British or Irish.

15. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Give him a bit of make-up and you couldn't tell the difference. The range of personalities on Little Britain shows that it could work IMO.

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Films seems dead set on that.

17. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    i pictured Clive Swift (Richard from Keeping up Appearances) for Slughorn. bit unusual, i know, but i think it works. at least he fills the British quota. i'd like to say that was true for all the characters i picture but that's not the case as i imagine Scrimgeour as John Glover!

-doodie

18. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    Gotta get Brian Cox in here somehow. Scrimgeour, perhaps?

19. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Cox wouldn't be bad for Scrimgeour but I also think that Liam Neeson would be good for the role. [face_thinking]

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Bill Nighy = Marvolo Gaunt.

Or James Cromwell. I could go either way.

21. HusseinMedia_91

HusseinMedia_91 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2007
    Jim Broadbent made me think of Edward Woodward as a possibilty for Slughorn (through the Hot Fuzz connection). Though I still think Jim would be better suited.

Matt Lucas on the other hand...now there's a thought [face_thinking].

EDIT: Bob Hoskins? Think of him on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross...

22. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    [face_laugh]

I for one would love to see the short, bald wizard. :p

23. Dezdmona

Jun 9, 2005
    I think Bob Hoskins is a shoo in. I saw an interview with him, and JKR was there by satellite. They were joking around about Potter. No specific character was mentioned that I recall, but they both expressed interest in him being cast.

24. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    The "Snape's Worst Memory" issue is very easily resolved. Just give us the scene in full in the Pensieve in DH. It's slightly different from the books, where we've seen it all and misunderstood it, but by doing it that way, we can get the same general experience: Harry was kicked out of Snape's mind before he saw the crucial part of the scene, which completely changes what it means. No big deal.

I would not waste more than about two sentences on explaining the Dursley house protection. It's just not that key a factor. It can be briefly alluded to in Dumbledore's visit, and again when they're getting ready to take Harry out, but no reason to dwell on it.

-Paul

25. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Thing is I think theyre going to have to really abbreviate that scene into 3 minutes tops in the DH movie. Filmwise showing much more than that would have killed momentum after an epic battle and the deaths of 4 main characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.