Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General_Quenobi, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_Quenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Place to talk about the latest rumors regarding only the film's composer. I don't want people here to give away plot or character points such as "I hope he makes a cue for when . . ." For one, that is a whole different thread.

Second, for those who have not yet read the books (or don't plan to), they won't know about anything yet so let's not spoil the movies for them.

Third, I have read the first two books, most of the third, and will start on the fourth soon. For that reason lets keep all spoiler stuff from 5 and on to ourselves PLEASE.

Let's have at it.

From what I've heard JW is the most likely composer. I hope Doyle, if it's him, decides to realise JW made these movies extra special and uses more of his themes for continuity, and the fact that any theme JW wrote in any HP movie is better than any PD theme written for GOF. Now I'm not expecting another POA, but I'd like to to hope for another masterpiece that propels the series into new ground and is listenable years from now.
  2. General_Quenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Also, feel free to post who you hope is scoring, but again . . . PLEASE do not ruin the story of Phoenix for anyone. Oh, and as for myself, in case it wasn't clear enough, I WANT MY JOHN WILLIAMS!!

I will say this though for Doyle. I liked his opening track for the movie. It reminded me of a mix between Goldsmith and Elfman. I absolutely loved the "slimy" minor variation on the Harry Potter Theme. The strings with their little quick flourishes in the beginning too (*repeat* da-la-da, la-da-da *repeat*).
  3. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    When I heard the beginning of "Foreign Visitors Arrive" at the WB web site, I thought that Goblet of Fire would be a dark and classical waltz score. How disappointing that it turned out to be a three-hour loop of half-awake horn players performing the chromatic scale. Patrick Doyle may have more to offer Order of the Phoenix, if he's actually motivated to compose, or if the director actually encourages him to write a good score. However, having Williams back would be extremely welcome.
  4. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    I enjoyed the score to Goblet of Fire, but nowhere near as much as I did Prisoner of Azkaban. For that reason, I really, really hope Williams gets to return for Order of the Phoenix. However, if he's not able to, I don't want anyone else but Doyle. It's just too risky to bring in a third composer at this point in the series.
  5. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    Humm...As for composers, everyone here will most likely be bias to Williams. I must agree that no one is going to bring as much magic to those films. Williams has so much experiance with serious children films, like E.T. They are very serious films, but have so many child like qualities to them. Anyone else scoring these films will be dissapointing. If Williams does come, I hope he can use some of Doyle's ideas though. Continuity of the films is something that Doyle threw out the door, and having Williams pick up on that more will make it feel more real. I almost resent that Doyle changed everything so much. The very beginning felt like a Pirates of the Carribean and totally ruined the first 5 minutes for me because I so expected the entrance we usually have.

Doyle did a good job, but like I said...it lacked the child quality to it. I think Williams had a master plan to this series of developing the themes into something very dark in these coming films. Even without knowing the other books, it was obvious to see where it was going. I'm sure he had more of a plan than just to score it film by film. This is like Star Wars in the fact that it is a place for him to use leit Motief as a real tool and develop themes to even more complexity. So many modern composers have no idea the value of motiefs and barely use them anymore.

I have this feeling that Williams really didn't want to give up this film. This is his opportunity to score the way he loves to, and it's a place where he can get to youth. He has much respect for getting music to younger people, and this is a perfect place to do it. I hope he comes back, and I suspect that he will.

~JW
  6. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd actually like to see Doyle return for GOF. I don't think it is a spoiler to say that OOTP is a more personal affair, less dependant on action scenes, which I think Doyle would do well. Williams *must* return to the series for 6 and 7, though.
  7. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Is it possible to explain why without spoiling the books?
  8. General_Quenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not unless you want someone who hasn't read the fifth book (me and maybe others) rolling their eyes in regret at the screen for having trusted people to restrain themselves in a NON-SPOILER thread when they read about OOTF plot and character development. Again, plenty of places to talk about that. This thread is to talk about who the next film's composer is. Until it is actually announced anyway and official. After that this thread is pretty much done.

PS- I hope I am not coming off mean, but I just want it clear: NO CONTENT! Just composers!
  9. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone here not prefer "A Window to the Past" to "Harry in Winter"? Williams can do "personal" music, too.
  10. General_Quenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I love that piece. I was always trying toplace what instrument played it. I thought it was a recorder but figured no way. To my surprise it is indeed a recorder. To think, grade schoolers across the nation can play the theme in school and play the actual instrument.

I agree. JW does much more personal music and has done a much better job of developing his themes. PD seems to more or less have a master cue that he modifies to meet the specifications of the scene. That is not to say that the music isn't good. I like it, but he ignored much of what made HP music good. Namely, the previous scores' themes, the style, the continuity.
  11. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus/2014 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 6
    My fear is that Williams will return to score OOTP and then HBP and then the final movie. Thus leaving Goblet of Fire as the only Potter film not scored by him and also being the worst soundtrack to the Potter films. Not saying GoF is a horrible score, it's just not as good as SS, COS, and POA in my opinion.
  12. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Absolutely. "Angela's Ashes" is one of my favourite Williams scores. I'm not saying Williams can't do personal music, not by a long shot. I'm just interested to see what Doyle would do with the film.
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I want Williams, pure and simple.
  14. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    "A Window to the Past" is not only superior to "Harry in Winter", it's my favorite theme out of all four scores so far. Its superb use in the teaser trailer for Goblet of Fire shows how effective it would've been if Doyle had used it in the film.

Did you intend to say "hope" instead of "fear"?
  15. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I think so. This is my hope as well. I prefer A Window to the Past over Doyle's "zillions of themes".
  16. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus/2014 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 6
    No I meant fear. I would hate to have the complete Potter collection saying they're all composed by Williams except that one. It would read like nails on a chalkboard. I would treat it like a red-headed step child. So I'm hoping they get someone else for the next one. But I want the final one to be scored by Williams before he retires. :p
  17. General_Quenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I still don't agree with your arguement. I understand it, but to me it seems like your saying "well, I missed a question on the test and since I can't get a perfect score I might as well miss a few more questions." I would rather have one bad one than a few more.
  18. EquestrianJedi07 Jedi Master

star 4
    As much as I like all the scores, I do indeed prefer "A Window to the Past" to "Harry in Winter". In fact, "A Window to the Past" is my favorite Potter track.
  19. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe he's like those people that freaked out in 2004 when it was revealed that the widescreen edition of the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set had silver borders, while the widescreen editions of the prequel DVDs had gold borders. Symmetry nerds...
  20. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
  21. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus/2014 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 6

I have faith that maybe a different composer other than Doyle might give us a new unique twist on Harry Potter that might be good.
  22. General_Quenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's cool, and I can agree with that (if JW doesn't decide to return), but from what I gathered you said earlier, you just didn't want one without him so why not have the rest by someone else. That seems . . . you can read my previous post. But as far as just wanting variety I can appreciate that. I do not feel that Doyle is needed for the rest if JW doesn't return, but I would rather JW do as many (even if not all) as he can.

I really hope JW is around and up to scoring the last one especially . . . I haven't read it but regardless it is the culmination! JW is absolutely needed IMHO. It would just be a bonus having him for the 5th and 6th. I just wish whoever they get, if not JW, would just use his themes respectably and not shy away from them. However, that person needs to walk that fine balance between regurgitated and reimagined (evolved).
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yah you haven't read book seven because it's not written yet... ;)
  24. General_Quenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I need sleep!
  25. GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Master

star 4
    The potter website mugglenet has reported this:

"The Internet Movie Database now lists Dario Marianelli as the composer for the Order of the Phoenix soundtrack. Please treat this as a rumor until we receive further confirmation. Marianelli composed soundtracks for films such as V for Vendetta and Pride & Prejudice."

Anyone think this is true?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.