main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General_Quenobi, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The score was mixed ineffectively in the film, and you might have seen it with a bad theater sound system. But I'm sure you still have the full picture of what you're criticizing.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I saw it in a THX certified theatre with amazing sound. Three times. Why would I spend 17 bucks on a CD of a score that after three viewings of the film still is completely lackluster?

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I guess you know what my advice would be in this case... ;) [face_whistling]

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I haven't found it at those stores, Mar... ;)

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Dumbledore's Army is when they're at Hogsmeade so that's beore Room of Requirement

I can't figure out where Umbridge spoils a Beautiful Morning goes.

Plain Umbridge is when she's observing snape, tightening clothes.

6. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    There are some mistakes with that list. Here's my chronological order list - it may not be perfect, but it's close. Incidentally, I included a little unreleased music from musicloop.mp3, the music mix available on the US web site, if one chooses to incorporate said material into his or her track list.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    1. Another Story (OST t3 beg-1:24)
    2. Dementors in the Underpass
    3. Flight of the Order of the Phoenix (last .05 seconds of OST t16 + OST t17)
    4. The Ministry of Magic
    5. Seeing Harry Off (musicloop.mp3 3:11.22-3:42.9)
    6. A Journey to Hogwarts (OST t10 beg-0:33.5)
    7. Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning
    8. Professor Umbridge
    9. The Sacking of Trelawney (OST t16 beg-2:12.88 + musicloop.mp3 2:32.84-2:33.87)
    10. Dumbledore's Army
    11. The Room of Requirement
    12. The Kiss
    13. Return to Hogwarts (OST t10 0:33.5-end)
    14. Darkness Takes Over
    15. Fireworks
    16. The Sirius Deception
    17. Hall of Prophecy
    18. Death of Sirius
    19. Possession
    20. Dumbledore's Apology (OST t3 1:05-end)
    21. Loved Ones and Leaving
    misc. A Journey to Hogwarts (Alternative) (musicloop.mp3 0:49.55-1:56.6)

The second half of "Dumbledore's Army," or at least the end, is actually from a reprise of the cue that place before "Darkness Takes Over." However, the two cues are almost the same except for their endings, and I feel the track as a whole works better in its pre-"Room of Requirement" position.

7. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Ah, yes, I do believe you're right about "Dumbledore's Army". "Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning" is right though. It plays during the scene when she's passing out the books which comes shortly before all her decrees in "Professor Umbridge".

EDIT: Cerrabore -- what are you using to edit the tracks? I use Audition, but on the few scores I've done this it always sounds obviously edited. Is there a better way to do it besides cutting and fading in and out?

8. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    GoldWave works pretty well for me. It's odd, but often the most seamless edit is a simple copy and paste - but a very careful one. When editing cues like "The Sacking of Trelawney" (see the track list), you have to match up the two pieces waveform for waveform. I've cut them together at the EXACT same point in the music. The only other editing you have to do is to zoom in to the edit point and smooth out the waveform so that there are no click-causing jumps in it.

However, there's no satisfactory way of separating the pieces from "Another Story" (in which the two cues overlap for twenty seconds!) or "A Journey to Hogwarts." I've actually left them as is; they're just referenced on the track list in case anybody is interested.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I thought the second half of A Journey to Hogwarts was the Return of Hagrid because it sounds like when they're running down that hill to the hut.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    But I'm not talking about stores... [face_mischief]

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    borrowing from friends, right

(and now be quiet, for your own sake [face_shhh])

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I know, been banned for it once (hi, Strilo! :p), that's why I didn't specifically mention anything. :p

[face_batting]

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    didn't look like knowing that much ;)

though, see, I never even considered "borrowing" OOTP, like I did Goblet of Fire (and even that I ultimately didn't "borrow"). The film, though I've seen it only once, didn't give me much reason to. And I do try to listen to the score, esp. with the Potter movies

15. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes, it is. It's still in order, I believe.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    QFT. Glad I am not the only one.

17. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Actually, quite a few people share your sentiments. It seems to be divided about half and half, perhaps a little more skewed toward the negative. I still enjoy though and will continue to defend it.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I hated the soundtrack the first time I listened but after that like the movie, I love it.

19. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    My feelings (almost) exactly. I didn't hate it the first time I heard it, but I was definitely disappointed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.