main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General_Quenobi, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    It's not.

Link

IMDB is notoriously inaccurate...

TTBK

2. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Did you already post that on JWfan.net? They'll be dying to know.

3. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    Yup.

Cross posted it here and there within a couple minutes of each other, and now I'm going around to the various Potter sites...why, I don't know. I'm not really a Potter fan, and probably wouldn't take any notice at all if Williams had never been attached to the series :p

TTBK

4. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Close one. :p

Though I have to say that at least Marionelli would be better than Doyle. o_O

5. General_Quenobi

General_Quenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    I still hope for JW. However, after recently seeing Pride & Prejudice I think he wouldn't be a bad choice. Even though it was a period move with a period score, I think it shows he knows how to use the orchestra to create emotional and powerful music. I only wonder about his (and any other composer besides JW) willingness and ability to carry existing HP themes though the film and add to them as well.

Doyle didn't very well IMHO, and I for one would like to have some continuity. I don't want my continuity to be a lack of continuity. Anyways, not bashing him--I thought the music he came up with at times was brilliant--just don't prefer his HP score over most of the others.

If he isn't really the composer, I think I wouldn't mind. If he is, I think I wouldn't mind, though I'd still wish it were Williams.

6. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, Williams apparently loves scoring these films, but couldn't make GoF due to a scheduling conflict (or, according to Mike Newell, not being able to travel between Los Angeles and London). I'm sure that if Williams actually pressures WB to hire him again, they will acquiesce, but if he's indifferent about it, I'm not so sure.

7. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    The composer has been confirmed!

Nicholas Hooper to score OOTP
    Nicholas Hooper, one of the UK's leading media composers, is set to compose the soundtrack for the Order of the Phoenix movie. In 2004, he won the Best Original Score BAFTA for The Young Visitors and was nominated several other times for the prestigious awards.

source: http://www.mugglenet.com

Don't know what this guy is like, but i'd rather have Williams or Doyle again.

8. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    I don't think this actually official yet, but given that Hooper has scored most of David Yate's (the director) films, this makes a lot of sense...

Never heard of him before.

ttbk

9. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Not a familiar name. I'll have to look for one of his CDs.

10. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't think you can. I've only found one of his scores on CD, and it seems to be completely out of print.

11. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Well, that's frustrating. I guess we'll know soon enough...[face_thinking]

12. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    It's not been officially confirmed by Warner Bro. Mugglenet has updated with that bit of trivia so people don't overreact just yet. Peace.

13. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, nothings done until W.B. signs off. They might be a little sceptical on this one, given that he's not too well a known name for them. As much as I'd like Williams to come back, Doyles score would sound out of place unless someone else scored the next 2. I know for sure that Williams better take book 7, or 6. (if he's still around, but lets not knock on wood for that)

~JW

14. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm skeptical of this Hooper guy. I want Williams or Doyle, or nothing. Marianelli impressed me with Pride and Prejudice, but I'd rather just have the two composers who have already done a HP score.

15. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
  16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Stupid decision, perhaps. And that article is wrong. William Ross composed nothing. He merely conducted.

17. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Wasn't Ross' music rejected?

18. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    So Nicholas Hooper it is. Does anyone know his material? I am curious as to whether there will be a huge leap in style from the 4th to 5th film. Will he remain true to the HP style so far (and hopefully use William's themes a little more consistantly than Patrick Doyle...even though he did a nice job in his own right)?

19. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I can't say that I'm pleased with this decision, but I can't say that I'm displeased either since I've never heard anything he has done. It would be different if they announced that Eric Serra would be scoring it. So for now, I'm going to have an open mind and give this guy a chance and see what he makes of this big break.

And if anyone is interested, here is a link to some samples from his score to Land of the Tiger:

Land of the Tiger

20. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Don't be negative guys, we'll just have to wait and see.

Does anyone else think that he looks like Harrison Ford?

21. Jedi-Washington

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, I'm going to wait and see, but seriously...if we get an "Ahh, ahhhhh, ahhh!" solo vocal score for this, I might cry. Am I the only one who hates that trend in music lately?

~JW

22. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    You mean the wailing woman schtik? If so, yes, I loath it... I hope Hooper ditches whatever inspiration possessed him to put it in that Land of the Tiger score. *shudders*

23. Jedi-Washington

Aug 3, 2003
    Exactly...I talk to my sister and she's said "Oh, it's pretty," but I don't hear it... I don't like wailing women in the foreground. I remember going to Michael Giacchino's site, and I was watching a recording session where they were playing this wonderful string piece. I remember thinking that it sounded really great and simple. I went and listend to the acctual recording though, and evidently they didn't think it was enough. They had recorded one of those women wailing things on top...oh...I was dissapointed. Ruined the whole thing for me. Williams even tried it in ROTS... That was dissapointing. I think that entire scene should have been just silent. No music at all.

~JW

24. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    No name director, no name composer... I'm really worried about this film.

25. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    He did it in AOTC too and to great effect IMO. However, as a general rule I too feel it is overused much like the heavy percussion ala Klaus Baldelt/Hans Zimmer. Once in a great while adds drama and variation, but all the time just seems to be lazy and a way to make it more accessible..."hey, in case you couldn't tell there is a beat."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.