main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General_Quenobi, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm really disapointed in this decision. They should have stuck with Doyle or Williams. That said, I'm interested, but wary, to hear what he has to offer.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm not too worried. I'm not familiar with Hooper, but Yates is a talented director so I'll give the project the benefit of the doubt.

3. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    Anyone else considered that Williams might have been asked but knocked it back?

4. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    It's difficult to create a movie saga when the crew is constantly changing -- including the composer. As entertaining as the Potter films are, the tragic flaw is that, aside from the score, there was very little consistency from film one to film three. And yet, Williams' POA was a truly inspired score. Not only did it manage to maintain a thematic connection to the first two films, it was perhaps one of the best scores I've heard in a long while. I was crushed when it was followed up by such a truly lackluster and pedestrian effort by Doyle. One can only hope that Hooper can recapture the magic that Williams brought to the movies. But even if he does, the chances that his work will connect to both Williams' and Doyle's efforts are very, very slim indeed.

5. Daniel0605

Daniel0605 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2006
    I really hope John Williams composes the music for Harry Potter 5, and hopefully 6 and 7 too!

Doyle was good, but he couldn't keep up with John William's music.

Off Topic:
    Does anyone know when the 5th movie is suposed to come out?

EDIT:
    Hooper's doing it?

I have a bad feeling about this.

6. DarkLordoftheSith14

DarkLordoftheSith14 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2004
    WB said the movie is going to be released on July 13 2007. That is a friday the 13th by the way.

7. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    ah! ah!! there you go people nothing to worry about. Everything is going to be fine Hooper will exceed our expectations and will crown him the new John Williams!!.[:D] [:D] [face_beatup] 8-} 8-}

kidding. for those that got no humour(look it up).

8. Daniel0605

May 29, 2006
    I just rented The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It truely had a great score in my oppinon.
    I think Harry Gregson-Williams (the composer of the score) would be great for the Harry Potter movies!

EDIT:
    Harry Gregson-Williams is doing the score for Shrek 3 and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian !

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I thought the score to Narnia was actually actively irritating. Not quite as bad as Pirates of the Caribbean or anything, but definitely up there. Sorry.

10. Daniel0605

May 29, 2006
    You thought the Pirates of the Carribean score was bad?
    And the Narnia score too?

Oh well, i won't discriminate you for you oppions.

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Heh, you'll find it's a popular opinion around here. :p

12. DarkLordoftheSith14

DarkLordoftheSith14 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2004
    I was always under the impression that most people on these boards enjoyed the pirates of the caribbean score.

13. General_Quenobi

General_Quenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    I enjoy listening to the POTC score, but do I give it acclaim, no. It is good with the film, and foot tapping by itself, but nothing (for me) grips me and elevates it beyond popcorn flick. That's what you get from the Zimmers and his prodigies . . . factory scores churned out that all sound the same.

14. Darth_Maestro

Jan 27, 2005
    theres a Shrek 3??:eek: [face_not_talking]

But i thought Chronicles of Narnia was a decent score. Better than the recycled Pirate's score.

15. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, most people on the board don't understand how cheap the music from PotC really is. People take their basis of how cool music is by one track these days. They don't acctually listen to how it's used in the score, which is terrible. I have to hand it to zimmer though, he knows how to make the majority of people happy with only a nights worth of work, as he's so told us.

As for the Narnia score, not bad. obviously there are improvements that could have been made, but I thought some of the scenes were interpreted pretty well. That said, I'm not sure how we'll hold up with wizardry, but who knows. The progression of composers for Harry Potter is working ok. Williams scored the child years brilliantly. We get older, the music gets more general. Williams probably would have made a better transition between the two of them, but I can't expect any other composer to his musical ability, as I doubt many of these new composers really study old classical music like Williams has and understand how to score a movie like a symphony where you build the themes up to the climax of the film.

Just different styles I guess. Harry Potter is the perfect place to use this tecnique though. I hope someone comes along and tries it again.

~JW

16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I just had a brilliant idea! Hans Zimmer should score Harry Potter!

Kidding! Kidding! :p

But, honestly, at this point I just don't care. Williams' first two scores were decent by his standards and POA was excellent, but once Doyle took over my interest waned. He delivered a decent score but it was definitely not up to snuff. Now it seems Williams isn't coming back and pretty much the one thing about these movies that I cared about left with him.

17. Darth_Maestro

Jan 27, 2005
    thats it lets revive Georges Bizet and have him compose the music for the next 2 Harry Potter, or Richard Wagner!;) ;)

kidding 'course, but then again it's still be an interesitng notion[face_thinking]

18. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    We could have Jeff Waynes! (Man responsible for 1978 disco masterpiece "War of the Worlds")That would certainly be an interesting score!

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So... we gotta be getting close to hearing something about this score. The film comes out in a few months. Anyone have news?

20. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The soundtrack will be released on July 10th.

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I was more curious what we know about the music itself. Has it been recorded? Does anyone know what it sounds like? Will any of Williams' themes be used?

22. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Who's doing the music?

23. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Miana -- The score is composed by Nicholas Hooper.

Strilo -- Recording began on March 19th, and they are "scheduled" to finish up today.

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Who?

Edit: What the... is WB just being cheap and getting the most least expensive composer they can find? [face_frustrated]

25. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    We'll probably find out. By the way, the Soundtrack.net team is planning on doing a remote podcast from the Harry Potter sessions, so we'll be able to find out a bit about how Hooper is approaching this score.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.