main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General_Quenobi, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think we should get back onto OotP's score... ;)

2. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    And what better way than to get back on topic than with the newly released official artwork.

3. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
  4. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in the samples that they've got up on Soundtrack.net. Hooper definitely has a unique style that should prove to be a step up from Doyle. On the whole, I'm still very interested to see how this score turns out. This said, I'm not a big fan of the orchestration. Some of the cues have doublings that cause the pieces to lose momentum and sound rather awkward.

5. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Hmm, I was really taken aback and turned off by the guitar in the first track. Not the fact that it's there, but just the way it was used. Other than that however, I thought it sounded quite promising for the most part. As I always say, it's hard to tell from 30 second clips. When I heard the First Listen of Memoirs of a Geisha I thought it sounded dull. That score just didn't lend itself well to 30 second previews and that might be the way with this score as well, or not. We will know shortly.

6. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    While I enjoy Doyle's score, I must say that Hooper's score seems to mesh more with Williams' scores (except for the guitar track.)

7. DarkLordoftheSith14

DarkLordoftheSith14 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2004
    I agree Doyle's is the odd ball. The guitar while I could have done with out it could lend something to the scene. Track # 7 Possession sounds good. Plus, I am glad that a similar theme is used for the dementors in this film that was used in POA. And I absolutely love track # 12 The Death of (of that special character). The chorals make it sound like something dark is eproaching that no one can stop. This soundtrack is more like the kind I like. Also, how would people feel about Howard Shore ( Lord of the Rings ) doing a soundtrack for the last film? Since Hooper will be back with Yates on the 6th film. I would love to see what Howard Shore could do.

8. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Chris Columbus has expressed interest in directing another Potter film (and so likely bring back Williams). I'm very skeptical that Warner Bros. wants him back, though.

9. andy1044

Aug 26, 2006
    I hope they don't let him back. His style is a bit cookie-cutter and visually unappealing. What would be interesting though is a Harry Potter directed by Chris Nolan.

10. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    While Columbus must be credited for getting the franchise going, I agree that the studio should not let him return to the director's seat. As andy1044 said, he is a bit too by-the-books. I second the idea of one of the films being directed by Christopher Nolan, and I would love to see Cuarón return, however, considering that he has four movies slated for the near future, it seems unlikely.

11. DarkLordoftheSith14

Nov 26, 2004
    I disagree, and say that I have not really enjoyed any of the films since Columbus left. Cuaron needs to stay as far away from the last film as possible. He screwed up and created so many plot holes it was pathetic. Newell's was boring and visually unappealing, but at leas he did not create as many plot holes as Cuaron. Columbus' films may have been by the book, but at least his films were true to the books, and he did not try to serve himself before the source material.

12. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Serve the source material? I thought these were supposed to be movies, not books on tape. Cuaron did create plot holes, but I think of it as introducing elements (the Marauders) in the first half of the film and never revisiting them, not straying from Rowling's sacred word.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Come on guys, this is a film score thread. If you want to debate the film(s) there are threads for those in the appropriate forums.

14. DarkLordoftheSith14

Nov 26, 2004
    I do not want the movie to be the book word for word. Introducing elements and not explaining them is lazy story telling. He was more consistent with what the whomping whillow should look like season to season than he was with the story. The way he presents the Marauder's map and how Lupin knew it was a map is that Lupin just guessed. He never explains how Lupin knew it was a map. We do not even find out that James, Lupin, Sirius, and Petigrew made the map or that they are the marauders. How does Sirius know the map never lies, because it is never stated that he has any connection with it or helped make it. We never find out that James was a marauder or that he was an animagi. The entire backstory of the marauder's was cut, except for the quick line of "we were freinds at school".

Now to stay on topic, the Dumbledore's Army track sounds like something out of Father of the Bride. It is way to happy, if that makes any since. It is just completly wrong for it. Dumbledore's Army is the students way of growing up and taking things in there own hands. This makes it sound like they are riding their bike for the first time down a sunlit street in a perfect neighborhood while Dad stands and watches with a tear of joy in his eye.

15. andy1044

Aug 26, 2006
    I think at this point it's too hard to make assumptions about the music based on these 30 second clips. The real test of whether or not Hooper nailed it will be if the music fits the movie.

16. General_Quenobi

General_Quenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    You know, as far as Lupin (and other stuff I guess) goes it may be something that is explained in this movie...since some things have to be cut from all the movies, and it may be known ahead of time that some things will be in a future film, it is referenced in a previous film so they can make it an "oh I see now" moment later and split the time into two movies and not overstuff one and skimp on another on a specific plot point. Until then people (who haven't read the book or been told by someone) can just as easily assume he also used the map in his days at Hogwarts and it was passed to him like Fred and George passed it to Harry, and later left it to someone...or Lupin being an expert in the "dark arts" as Snape says (hehe) he may have "discovered" it never lies and tells Sirius. No plot holes, just snags that the viewer can mend easily but distractedly.

17. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    I listened recently to the previews on soundtrack.net. I avoided the spoilers and plot info from the tracklist by taking off my glasses so I couldn't read them but still see where I needed to click ;)

I only listened to half because I didn't want to overly spoil myself, and I must say taken as previews and not showcases I was very pleased and am excited more than ever. Hooper's orchestration seems much more aligned with Williams' more than Doyle's really ever did. The soundtrack.net review mentions Hedwig's Theme being used specifically, but also says that Hooper uses some Willims themes (plural) from previous enstallments, which leads me to conclude that some other likely contenders are (if even once) Hogwarts Forever/Hogwarts' Theme, Fawkes the Phoenix, maybe a nod to the Tom Riddle/Voldemort Theme from "Chamber of Secrets," Window to the Past/Family Theme...and from Doyle's maybe Harry in Winter. Now I know all those may not be used, but I imagine at least one more besides Hedwig's Theme is and again maybe only once to establish continuity but not brought to the front and center as an important theme this time around. My guess is either Fawkes' Theme or Window to the Past stand the best chance of revival. HERE'S HOPING!!!

18. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    No, it's just Hedwig's Theme.

19. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    "There also appears to be a recurring motif for Dumbledore's Army, and a few other bits and pieces that turn up a few times, as well as an orchestrational wink-and-nod to some of Williams' previous themes."

From the soundtrack.net review. Now I said it may not be a full rendition but merely a recognizable variation of previous themes. But it clearly states that previous themes PLURAL are referenced. Now it may not end up on the actual soundtrack CD but in the film is another story...maybe that is what they meant.

20. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    First of all, Soundtrack.net never follows up on this statement, concluding that there are orchestrational nods only to Doyle's themes (in one track). Second, "orchestrational" refers to instrumentation, not melody. It could be that such a nod is the use of a celesta to suggest Hedwig's theme, or the use of a brass ensemble to suggest "Hogwarts Forever!"

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Cerrabore is right. :)

22. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    The first review is up. WARNING it does contain SPOILERS.

Although he doesn't seem overly pleased, I rarely agree with Christian's assessment of scores anymore.

23. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I used to love Filmtracks, but I don't take any of his reviews seriously anymore.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow I thought I was the only one!

25. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    No, if you go to other boards, you'll find that many people don't care for his reviews either. Like Well_of_Souls, I used to trust his reviews, but he has become considerably biased and down right ridiculous over the last year or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.