main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General_Quenobi, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, Clemmenson's review was very descriptive. It actually has me more excited about the score; each descriptive item he decries sounds appealing to me. The word "minimalistic" is particularly interesting. Still, the "reliance on the incessantly tingling glockenspiel and chimes for the majority of cues" is something that has bothered me in the samples, and it seems Clemmenson agrees.

Clemmenson's track samples, along with harrypottersoundtrack.com's sound considerably more promising than Soundtrack.net's, especially "Fireworks" and "Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning."

2. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Todd McCarthy of Variety has posted his review of Phoenix.

Also, I was reading some the user comments at Filmtracks and noticed a few people remarked that the music sounds "Zimmerish". I don't know about you, but the music sounds decidedly un-Zimmerish to me. From the samples, Hooper's music sounds like it has color and nuance, and although I like Zimmer, those aren't traits I would typically associate his name with.

3. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I have a feeling that almost all of the light and whimsical music made it to the soundtrack album, while a majority of the dark, suspenseful material was left off.

4. General_Quenobi

General_Quenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    I just hope there's some good action cues. Now I did feel GOF was too overtly an action score and it didn't have any of the other magic, but from the clips of OTTP it sounds like a lot of underscore, which is fine I guess since they are only 30 sec samples, but I would think the samples would run the gamut from light and whimsical, to dark and foreshadowing, to action...but it seems it is mostly dark and brooding as far as the samples go.

I am also worried we won't have recognizable themes (leitmotif) like in previous movies but merely a lot of underscore with one or two themes used sparsely at moments and no great unifying theme (such as the double trouble theme in POA, one of my favorites). The clips of the music make me think the score will be better quality than GOF but its use in the film may be worse than GOF. :(

Also, if you go to mugglenet.com and scroll down apparently there will be a special edition of the soundtrack in a large case shaped like a book. I'm assuming the music is still only 1 CD and the same tracklist as the normal one...just something for hardcore fans to pay more money for and get a little flip bok probably.

5. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    From the clips, there seems to be at the very least three or four new themes: Prof Umbridge, Possession Theme, Dumboldore's Army, and a motif that is orchestrally similar to Williams' Window to the Past. And of course, there will be some use of Hedwig's Theme. If you're hoping for leitmotif in the action music, you'll probably be dissapointed. I can't remember the last time I heard some great leitmotif in action scoring -- probably something from Silvestri who seems to be one of the few writing action material in that way.

And, yes, from what I understand this so-called "special edition" is just fancy packaging and a booklet with no additional music.

6. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Leitmotif is not the be all and end all.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    But the musical world of the Harry Potter films was solidly established for three whole films as being one of leitmotif. The amount can ebb and flow through the course of all seven films, but there SHOULD be leitmotifs in places in all films. Otherwise, musically it does not flow and fit well.

8. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Sure, and there is some leitmotif in Phoenix, but is it catastrophic that "Loved Ones and Leaving" doesn't feature rapid recaps of "A Window to the Past" and "Harry in Winter"? I like its simple originality.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think that scenes with intense connection to Harry's Parents should have A Window to the Past. I won't change my mind on that. I think it's a mistake not to use it, no matter what the film and no matter how good the new pieces are.

10. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    IESB.net has posted 11 clips from the film, and in one of them, Sirius is talking with Harry about the awful things that have happened in his life (i.e. the death of his parents) and as he is talking, there is a motif played that is reminiscent of "A Window to Time Past". While I had said in the past that I felt this is an extremely important thematic idea to develop, I think I may be changing my mind.

Other than orchestration and maybe progression, I can't figure out why the themes remind of each other, but they do, and I assume that Hooper made a conscious decision to make that so. I'll still hold my judgment until I see the whole film, but it seems that Hooper isn't throwing continuity completely out the window, but is still managing to make this his score.

Here's the clip I'm talking about.

11. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    Now that the premieres have started in a few few countries in Europe, does anyone haave anything to tell about the film's soundtrack? Again, NO PLOT SPOILERS PLEASE!

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't think that clip is at all reminiscent of A Window to the Past. In fact, it's rather boring music.

13. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I can see where you might not think that sounds like A Window to the Past, but it certainly evokes that kind of feeling to me. Either way, I certainly don't find that passage to be boring music. It seems appropriate for the moment and is a nice simple melody. It needn't be complex to be interesting. Hopefully it's a theme that will be developed further in the film.

14. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    Man it sure is quiet around here. I was sure now that some countries have had their premieres we'd be hearing some feedback about the score!

15. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Expect feedback soon since the score just leaked.

In other news, Score Notes has put up a new audio interview with Mr. Hooper. Check it out here.

16. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Turns out the score has leaked onto Soulseek.

17. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Listening to it right now. I'm liking it so far, but I've only made it through the first 5 tracks. I love the dissonance in "Dementors In The Underpass" and the jaunty upbeat melody for Dumboldore's Army.

Also, Soundtrack.net has posted their review of the film and had this to say about the music in it's proper context:

Edit - Here's my mini review:

From listening to the whole album just once, I can say that I certainly like it, but those looking for a melodic soundtrack are most likely going to be turned off. While not a minimalist score, Filmtracks was correct in saying that it possesses some minimalist qualities. There are several tracks that take a long time to build and Hooper makes many uses of different ostinati. There are some fine melodies, but they certainly aren't abundant in their use.

It's a completely different beast compared to both Doyle's and Williams' scores, but in a good way. The celesta didn't bother me, but there are a few cues where the are very prominant throughout. One complaint I do have though is that some of the tracks (Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning and The Sacking Of Trelawney) could have been left off for perhaps some better music. There is little substance in those two tracks.

Overall, I'd give it a solid 7/10 which may improve with repeat listens. I'll be listening to this for a while since I broke my ankle this afternoon and can't really go anywhere, haha.

18. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I can't find the soundtrack on soulseek!

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Just a reminder that posting ways and means to download pirated music is strictly forbidden.

20. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    I agree pretty much completely with Darth_Vader-Anakin.

21. General_Quenobi

Nov 11, 2004
    PLEAESE REMEMBER NO SPOILERS! That includes track titles. Thanks.

22. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    After listening to this quite a few times, my biggest complaint is that there is the start of a lot of really great music here. There are several times where Hooper builds and builds and that building never quite pays off and the track ends. Perhaps the most prominent example of this is in the track "The Siruis Deception". There is the start of a great motif near the end. Instead of modifying it, it goes - A phrase - A phrase - A phrase. Every time I hear it, I expect the second A phrase to go somewhere else and yet it just repeats. It's nerve racking since I can actually hear where I think it will go.

Of course, nothing's final until hearing the music in its proper context.

23. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    On a side note, Silva Screen has released a new Harry Potter CD through the Borders store chain which includes concert arrangements from Prisoner of Azkaban. "A Window to the Past" (alternatively titled "A Bridge to the Past") is amazing! It's like every drop-off, pause and hesitation in the original piece is replaced by new heights of emotion. Technically speaking, this arrangement follows "A Window to the Past" up until the statement of Hedwig's theme (although there is an especially moving string choir part near the beginning added), after which it incorporates music from "Finale" and a reaffirming concert finish. "Double Trouble" is also extended.

I have to admit, nothing from Hooper, intelligent though his minimalistic approach may be, has moved me like "A Window to the Past." John Williams is the maestro.

24. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I'm listening to the score right now. I'm enjoying it a lot more than Doyle's. No particular favorites right now, but its a great addition to the HP saga. But D_V-A hit it on the head when he said that a lot of the music builds up with little or no pay-off.

25. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    A few of the movie reviews I've read have pointed out that the film doesn't really rely on melodrama which may, in part, explain the more subdued music, especially in the "Death of Sirius". When compared with the Death of Cedric (which I felt worked very well on album and in the film) in GoF, Sirius' death will obviously be much more subtle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.