main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by jedi_john_33, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Up to Chapter 10 now. It's going pretty slow, lots of questions I have, read more I must.

But, Harry is bugging the crap out of me so far. He needs to man up.

2. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    (Blocked for safety)

You're out of luck then--Harry's outbursts only get worse.

It's my favorite in the series, though.

3. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I still haven't gotten beyond the first chapter.[face_sad[ I've just haven't taken the time to read it. But I think I will now.

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Come on, John, weren't you ever 15? :p Harry is a little, um.... angsty right now. I agree that it was kind of annoying to read page after page of paragraphs entirely in caps consisting of things like "YOU SUCK AND I WANT MY PARENTS BACK AND YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE SODS HAVEN'T BEEN THROUGH ANYTHING AS HORRIBLE AS ME!!!!1", but at the same time, I could sort of sympathize. Being a teenager is hard enough without having to deal with the constant pressure of knowing that reborn Voldemort is lurking out there and having the pain of being psychically connected to someone you despise.

5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I like the way JK Rowling 'builds' Harry's Harry's character. The more he groew older, the more crazy outbursts he has. :p

6. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I agree that throughout Order of the Phoenix, harry is difficult to like. He is angry, upset, moody and
    sometimes (ex. dealing with Cho) doesnt seem to do the logical thing.

But, this is perfect for his character at the time.

Just think if everything that has happened to him, so far, happened to you...and no one believed you, and told the world you were crazy, seeking attention and lying.

I know i would be pissed at the world. And that is exactly how harry is in this book.

And as you will see, it is this attitude and distancing and distrust and frustration with everyone around him,
    that leads him to make certain "decisions"...(thats all i can say without givign plot points away)

Reading Order, i remeber not liking how moody and upset harry was... But it all makes sense now...
    Just wait until the end, i am sure you will be happy with the book by then

7. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I felt it was really believeable. I think it was a good book overall with some great parts and some not so great parts. That's all.

8. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I felt it was really believeable.

Yeah, though everything is so unreal, Rowling really gets you in the plot. Brilliant job.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Harry spent most of the first 4 books being able to take the crap that his fellow students and teachers (Snape) dishes out to him. However, after actually SEEING Voldermort come back to life, escaping his certain demise, seeing Cedric's death, and no one believing anything he said, Harry has every right to jump off of the deep end and have some major temper tantrums.

He's a teenager w/ raging hormones. I love this book because Harry exhibits all of the perfect angsty, irritated, irrational emotions that teenagers experience. Harry's a mess in this book...a fact that I just love.

10. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I don't know. To me, it seemed like in books 5 & 6, Harry lost a chunk of his brain.
    Yes, he's a teen, and emotionally and mentally, it's a hard time to go through, but he acts like an idiot. In the first four books, he basically was this kid who wanted to do his best to live up to reputation as "the boy who lived" and save the day. Now, in OotP, he just...has a break down.

That all being said, I still liked the book. But the ending was sad.

11. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I find that in the first four he seems like some strange superhero type, the fanfic word for it is a Gary Stu, someone who can do anything and everything and never fail, never get conflicted emotions, and just be generally not human. In OotP though, he's actually human, which is why I like it.

12. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Especially towards the beginning of the book where he's broadcasting all sorts of emotions. From anger, to frustration, to that feeling of not being trusted by everyone around him.

13. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I agree. Harry's much more human in OotP. Just think about everything he went through in that graveyard. Then just several days later he got sent back to the Dursleys. He certainly couldn't talk to them about his problems, and they probably wouldn't care. And due to the silence that Dumbledore made everyone swear to, he couldn't even talk to his friends. Weeks with no compassion, understanding, no friends, no love..... I'd be furious too!

14. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    ooo...Dolores Umbridge pisses me off!

15. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Ahhhh yes, Umbridge... [face_plain]

The reason I love OotP is because of the strong reactions it attracts from readers. Umbridge is my most hated fictional character. Ever.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    LOL, I have to agree with that...possibly up there w/ Iago in "Othello."

Umbridge is one great character who falls into that 'love to hate her' catagory. She's just so nasty you KNOW that something horrific is going to happen when she shows up on the page.

I do love how Harry completely defied her throughout the book, never giving her the satisfaction of seeing how much it hurt him to do his detentions or miss hiw Quidditch matches. Harry may have been very emotional in the book, but his conviction and strength of character tightened in OOTP. I love this book because you can see Harry struggling towards realizing that he's becoming a man and at the end of the book, you really see shades of how he's developing.

By the end of HBP, Harry really is no longer a boy and OOTP paved the way for him to reach that point.

17. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I have to say I think this book is my favourite of the series. It's the Empire of the Potter world. ;)

18. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    Damn that UMBRIDGE!!! :mad:

At least our favorite half giant is back [face_dancing]

19. jedi_john_34

jedi_john_34 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    My god! Never have I shaken with fury reading a book.

20. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Yea, I liked this book too. It was really hard to put down.

21. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Harry did seem more human. As kids you really don't think you could die so he just didn't think about and got a couple lucky breaks. That's how I look at it.

22. jedi_john_34

jedi_john_34 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    *sniffle* for Snuffles :(

23. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I thought this was a good book, in my opinion there was a lot that could have been taken out. It could have been shorter. I still read it in a matter of two weeks.

dkt

24. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Yeah. I was so sad when I've read the book for the first time. :( I couldn't belive that he is gone. Bloody Veil! :mad:

25. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    Right on, I so agree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.