main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Harry Potter came!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Nyla, Jun 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyla

Nyla Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    The post just delivered it!!!

Woohoo!! *Jump* *twirl* *jump*

:D:p

2. dreamweaver_YJN

dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2001
    I work at Chapters in St. Catharines and we were open until 1am last night for the realease. I'm not exactly sure on numbers yet...but I think we sold close to 500 copies in one hour! I never saw anything like it! The staff was all dressed up...I was Hermione! We had about 50 kids there in costume. We had a costume contest and made wizard hats and wands, the store will look "magical" for a long time from all the glitter! We even had a "Hogwarts Express" for the kids to sit in. They gave the Trolly Attendant a token...and got treats to eat on the Train. Later we had Snape's Laboratory set up and did cool experiments with "deadly" potions. At midnight, the winner of the costume contest, a wee little "Harry", got to cut the ribbon on the skid of books, and get his picture in the paper receiving the very first book! What an awesome event! :D

3. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    weaver, that sounds awesome! At the store that I lined up at, all they had was a wizard to entertain the little kids. We were smart and stood next to the skid so we got to help them open it, and were first in line (except we let some little kids go ahead of us). There were a few hundred people there though, and some costumes (but I didn't have one :( ).

Oh, and amazon.ca delivered it around 11am this morning (I got a copy last night so I could start reading it earlier, and someone else is buying it off me later).

Anyway, the point of this thread. I finished it about a half hour ago after reading until 4am this morning, and then more this afternoon. I won't say anything though until more people have finished it.

4. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    NOOOO spoilers Lelila. If you post spoilers please post it in a thread marked Harry Potter book spoilers please. I am actually avoiding all media today for fear they will give away who dies.

I watched one of the openings at midnight in London but it looked quiet. I guess they should have been to your stores.

5. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    *bows*, of course, Shmi. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS! All I'll say about that is that I've been having a really good cry :( :( :( I always get so attached to books and those in them.

Re: Media
    I didn't read the Toronto Star article until I finished the book, they don't give that away, (you can call a number on the Star Phone to find out) but they detail a lot of the plot that I'd consider kind of spoilery, so I'm glad I stayed away from the article. I'm heading back up to Collingwood in the morning for work, so happy reading everyone!

6. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Was supposed to get it the night of... yet my ride to the book store was 'to tired'

I ended up getting it yesterday at a chapters. I thought it opened at 8am... wrong. So I was stuck there at 9am... stood outside.. and people started to line up behind me. The line grew... and grew... and soon I was at the front of a line that spaned a block.

I'm only about 100 pages into the book.. yet today I'll be doing alot of reading.

So far so good with the book though... !

7. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm on page 600 right now!!

Damn work! i've had to work 8 hours today and 8 hours yesterday otherwise i would have been done it along time ago!

8. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

I'm taking my time on it... page, uh I think 213.

I must say... I like one of the new characters. Scary similarites... yet wont give any spoilers away.

9. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Finished the book :-( SOOO SADDDD!!! SOoO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

10. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003
    No... Spoilers Please!!! I'm spending most of today reading it!

11. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Don't worry i would never dream of spoiling it for anyone.

12. Anakin_Padme4ever

Anakin_Padme4ever Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 29, 2002
    Well, my stepmom got hers on Saturday. She's a real HP fan, almost as much as me being a SW fan(which is quite much :p ), so I'm guessing she's probably half done at the most...she was pretty far when I left on Sunday.. :p

I haven't read any of the Harry Potters books yet, but I liked the movies, so maybe after I'm done reading all my other books, I'll start reading the HP books. :)

13. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

If you liked the movies then you'd defently like the books. The Movies in my opion are not even close to as good as the books.

14. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    That is generally the rule of thumb...thats why books sales always seem to go up at about the same time their film adaptation comes out.

The problem is i have so much reading for school to do and little extra time. And as an avid Tolkien fan my time is taken up by his books at the moment.

Never-the-less I do intend on reading the HP books eventually.

15. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Tolkin, read him, and admire his work.

Rowling, read her, and admire her work aswell.

Has anyone here yet read Shatterpoint? I keep on reading the first couple of pages while at indigo. Sounds good. Thinking of picking it up after OOTP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.