main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Harry Potter Cloaks/Costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Need info for Cloaks any help please!

ODK edit: Added the word 'costuming' to the thread title.

S_S edit: just unlocking.

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Do you meant the Cloak (worn in Cold Weather) or the Robe (what they normally wear). The Cloak can be made using many Cloak Pattern, shun for the hood.

Try this Mailing List
    MadameMalkins

The recommanded pattern and feedbacks on how the pattern should be modified had been discussed there before. So do the REAL design of the Robes (no hood).

I'm suppose to do a Moaning Myrtle 1942 Uniform soon anyway. :(

3. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    I mean their robes.(for day wear) How do you make or buy the Gryffindor badge?

4. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Check the Mailing List I had posted. It's had been mentioned there already with some patterns recommandation and modifications.

For Gryffindor badge, if you want it in the actual size and shape, you can order it from a member (Jo) of that ML for USD10 (PayPal only :( ). Think her next available badge will be Slytherin but they might still be looking for more people to share the cost of digitizing the design first.

If you don't mind the badge to be smaller and not so accurate, try eBay. It's been sold there for around USD8.90-11.90. There is also a website that sell the patch for USD9.90 but I think I shouldn't post it here cause he also sell SW Patches.

5. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    another option for the patches is making it yourself. a fabric story should have the embriodery thread and other things you will need, but it is a time consuming project!

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    A Cosplayer here had also made her Ravenclaw one using Felt cut to the appropiate shape and glued onto a backing before sewing it onto her robe. It doesn't look bad in pictures.

7. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    i'm working on one of these now. i just modified the padawan's guide jedi robe and made a curved piece for the back instead of a hood. as for the patches...i found them on ebay for around 6 US dollars apiece. smaller than in the movie but still nice quality.

8. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    i think sith vixen is working on one right now if you want to look there- www.sithvixen.com

9. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I'm staring my planning phases for a custom wizard school uniform, for my wizard school, Varrstrang. There will be a different color pattern for the sweater, having it be a solid color of the house's dark color(in this case, Dragoonior black), and it will have the same striping, in a solid lighter color(in this case, Dragoonior Red), and there will be house and school robes, with the school robes being black, with the House patch on it, and the house robes being a solid color; the house's lighter color, with the darker color striping it, and the house patch on it. The school robes would be worn for normal events, while the house robes would be worn to occasions were house spirit is necessary(quidditch matches, worn by the quidditch teams, etc.)

How do you like my idea?

10. Katarina

Katarina Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2003
    I'm hand embroidering my Ravenclaw patch and it's about 70% done. Having not done any embroidery before it's been a work of trial and error but I'm quite happy with it. After I finish this one I'm going to try Slytherin Quidditch patch, which is practically the same as the patch on the robe but with a silver lining.

If you decide to try embroidering, here's a good reference pic of the Gryffindor Patch:
    http://www.maxgalleries.com/stars/harrypotter/hp_02f/magscans/01_ss/03/dr-0110-nic-03a.jpg

You're also welcome to visit my HP Costuming forum at
    http://order.conforums2.com/index.cgi

Katarina

11. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I made a HP costume for last Halloween and I liked the patches at

www.scifipatch.com

They are pretty close to the movie versions. I spent ages looking around for the right design! They were only 7 bucks and they have all 4 houses.

If anyone's interested in seeing my costume, you can read about it here:

http://www.padawansguide.com/mycostumes/harrypotter.shtml

I cut apart my college graduation robe and used the general shape for a pattern, adding the small non-functional hood.

Payless had perfect Hermione-type shoes also!

Maggie

12. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I have a robe that was made for me just for my Hermoine Granger costume. I pretty much am finished with everything.

If anyone wants his email to order a robe, or if you want to know anything about the costume/robe, etc., please PM me.

13. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    How much are they??

14. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    not sure how much my boyfriend paid for it. not that expensive.

15. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Righto, as I get farther into my costume I find how incompetant a sewer I really am! Thankfully Darth_Eagle pointed me to this thread so that I may harass my fellow HP costume makers with silly questions instead of the other costumers.

I have no clue how to line, I checked out a bunch of sewing books from my local library the other day. They were helpful, but the examples I tried to understand were confusing. I just want to line my robe! I think I might do the free-hanging lining, but I'm not really sure if that would work. I've read y'all have made cloaks/robes, what form of lining did you do? And can ya help nutter with hers?

16. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    While the movie robes are lined, mine is not. (I made it long before I knew anything about lining, nor did I really have the time to do that extra step anyways.) It's made out of gabardreme and IMO flows as well without lining as it would with lining.

17. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hmm, I suppose I could just not do the lining, but I've already bought a fabric that I think would be a great lining. I have no clue what the fabric is, it wasn't labeled. It felt nice when I was playing with it, and the price was right (a buck a yard), so I just purchased it... Have you had any experience with lining since you made your robe?

18. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    What you'd probably need to do for your robe is kind of how the imperial officer's tunic is lined according to the Simplicity directions. Cut your pieces out of both the outer fabric and the lining. Sew the main body pieces for each together. Pin to each other and sew along the neck, front, and hem. Turn through an armhole so that everything is right side out. For the sleeves, sew the outer and the lining together at the bottom. Then sew up the side seam, and attach to the body as one.

Just make sure you know which side is the right side of each material, and that you know which pattern piece is which after it's cut out.

19. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Thanks, I was thinking of something along those lines, but I wasn't sure how that would work. Obviously it's worked for people! Lucky for me, my fabrics have no wrong sides. :D I have another question, I just remembered. I was making my pattern a bit larger by pulling it a few inches over from where I'd actually cut, and I forgot to take into account the neck. So I now have my neck, and it's about a foot across for both the front and the back pieces. The front isn't a problem, really, since I'll be cutting it down the middle (I just made two big pieces to line, and sew together), it's the back that is my problem. Darth_Eagle told me if I didn't want to make the mock hood, I could use the Jedi Meditation Chamber's tutorial (I believe..) for the hood. I think I could do that, but I'm just wondering if there's a decent way to reduce the neck's size without it looking bad? Or have I answered my own question?

20. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Righto, no one answered my question.. That bites. Well, nevermind it since I just chucked it and started over. I've lined my back piece and am currently working on the front of the robes. I'm just in the need to know how to make the frogs for the costume? Since I can really see what they used in the films to close the robes I'm just going to make those oriental frogs I see all over, I've already purchased a few yards of cord I'll use. Does anyone have experience with them? Any know a tutorial for idiots?

21. Tonin

Tonin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2001
    For a tutorial of frog closures go to HGTV.com and in the search type in frog closures. On of the entries will have a discribtion of: Video and step-by-step instruction for crafting custom frog closures.

Or you can be lazy like me and buy them at Walmart. If you do get the ones at Walmart i recommend re-inforcing the stitches, i learned that part the hard way since halfway through sewing mine on it started to come undone. if it dose start to become undone, hair spray works termporary wonders...

Hope that helps

22. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Whoa.. That turorial is way easier than what I ended up doing (I'm so impatient I did them right after posting..), my instructions were for the more tradition way of making the frogs. Lots of knots, and handstitching. I really like those instructions better than mine, I think I'll use those when I make my mommy her robes. :D Thanks a bunch, very useful.

PS: I failed to notice a typo in my last post.. "I can'T really see......"

23. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    WooHoo! Finished my robes! And I royally screwed up with one of the front pieces. <_< I accidentally made two pieces for the same side.. So I should have just ripped the seams out, re-sewn properly and been happy, right? ..Yeah, well.. I'm lazy. o_O So I'm now officially the ghetto Hogwarts Slytherin.

Can you believe I'm still having problems with that stupid neck? I must have the smallest neck in the world, the way these patterns are. I consulted a McCalls pattern (dunno which one) and made the neck fit their idea of a neck, and it's still huge! If I want the robe to close, I'd have to pin the thing under my arm. Righto, so I still have some adjustment to make...
    Oh, yeah, I got my crest ysterday! It looks great. Not film accurate, though. *sigh*

PS - I could be lazy and just be a crappo Snape. <_<

24. jjeess-ttyy

jjeess-ttyy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    my sisters's elementry school had a 50's carnvel and our mom made them poodle skirts and i asked if she had any more of the material, a sky blue, if she could make me a plain hooded cloak for me. and now that i've been reading some of the posts, i've been thinking of making my own Gryffindor robe and cloak. and an Irish Quidditch robe. the Irish is a team i came up with for a book series i'm writing. 8 books, counting the prequld book.

25. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Ewww.. Weirdo! Who does Gryffindor?! <_< (jest, of course..)

If you do a robe, or cloak, or uniform, and/or Quidditch robes you must post pics! As soon as I have all my stupid little adjustments correct I'm going to attempt to post some pictures of my robes, and hopefully my uniform. I did Slytherin; Because Slytherin ROCKS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.