main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Harry Potter Cloaks/Costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeychick1877

hockeychick1877 Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2004
    The dresses in Prisoner of Azkaban and Sorcerer's Stone are definetley different. The dress in Prisoner of Azkaban was GREEN!!!!! That really bugged me, I kept telling my friend Lauren throughout the entire movie, "But her dress is supposed to be PINK!!!"

Pray for me!!

Kristi/Luna

2. hockeychick1877

Jul 14, 2004
    Hi,it's me again. I've got a problem. I want to go to my school dance as Elizabeth Swann from Pirates of the Carribean, but I have no clue where to start as to making my costume. Also, does anybody know where I can get a really good sewing machine for cheap (lightweight if possible)? Mine's ANCIENT!!!!
    Thanks gals! :)

Kristi
    ~*Luna Lovegood*~

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12694756&replies=11

Also, for cheap and lightweight, you want Wal-Mart. You're really sacrificing durability, though. A cheap, lightweight machine won't last for too many projects before clunking out. However, if you still like sewing at that point, you should know what to look for in a more expensive machine.

4. hockeychick1877

Jul 14, 2004
    Thanks so much, I'll get right on it!

Does anybody know a pattern that would be good for a dress like the one Kira Knightley wears in the beginning of Pirates of the Carribean?

Pray for me!

Kristi
    ~*LUNA LOVEGOOD ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!*~

~*DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE HOUSE ELF IS COOKING!*~
    ^(The rock)

~*Luna Lovegood*~

5. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    You are in the wrong place for POTC costuming. Start a thread on it or do a search and see if one already exists. Otherwise, go to yahoogroups.com and search for a POTC group. I know one exists.

6. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
  7. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Has anyone purchased the student robe that Alivan's is selling? I'm curious about the quality.

8. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Never bought a cloak from them but now would be a good time buy one if you're going to since they're having a sale for 10% off everything on the site. The code for the discount is octnews10. So whoever needs items from them, feel free to use that code. I got it in their e-mail newsletter.

9. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I don't know if anyone has posted this or not, (sorry if it's a repeat!) but the Noble Collection now has Harry, Ron and Hermione's wand, and the Time Turner. No clue about their quality, but I thought I'd share if anyone wanted to check it out.

10. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Hey, thanks for the discount code!

11. hockeychick1877

Jul 14, 2004
    When a machine is on sale, but the usual price is $140, is it usually a good machine?

My bros 16th Birthday is coming up. He's the typical jock/teen. Any ideas on what to get him?

My drama teacher won't do my play but my english teacher is really into stories and plays and literature, so I bet she might do it. Or, after my drama teacher has her baby, somebody's got to take over so they might do it.

Pray for me!!!! :)

~~Kristi~Luna~~

12. hockeychick1877

Jul 14, 2004
    When a machine is on sale, but the usual price is $140, is it usually a good machine?

My bros 16th Birthday is coming up. He's the typical jock/teen. Any ideas on what to get him?

My drama teacher won't do my play but my english teacher is really into stories and plays and literature, so I bet she might do it. Or, after my drama teacher has her baby, somebody's got to take over so they might do it.

Pray for me!!!! :)

~~Kristi~Luna~~

13. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Rather than spend tons of money on the Japanese replica (and Noble Collection's version doesn't come out until the end of next month), I made myself a Hermione-like wand. Secret material? Sculpey. And a chopstick.

http://www26.brinkster.com/leiacost/mugglewear/wand.html

14. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    STP, that is ingenious.

15. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    StormtrooperPrincess, that is a great idea! [face_thinking] I love how your wand had turned out. Just curious, was it a chopstick that had been laquerer/treated or bamboo one?

Many of us Asian HP Costumer also used Chopsticks as our wand and some just add clay as the handle (ya, it was before PoA came out). But last July, I got lucky when my Padawan volunteered to make for me my SS/CoS Wand loosely based on Snape's as long as I pay for the wooden dowel and gave him the other 2 pieces that can be created from 1 dowel. ;) Got to remember to get the Black Stain paint to color my wand black.

16. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Looks awesome, STP!

17. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    DE, it was just a plain bamboo one, nothing fancy, that was free from a local Chinese restaurant. Do you have pictures of the Snape wand (even without the black stain)?

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, since you did bake it with the Scuply, I think it shouldn't be a problem. :) The Wands I made from one of those meant to be used while Frying (think it's Bamboo?) had kinda turned mouldy :oops: but it could had been due to other reasons like that untreated stick I put beside it and lack of ventilation (it was dumped at one corner of my room with the rest of my poles and dowels).

For my wand, unfortunately I don't have any photo of it and those with me holding it is kinda small. But I'll try to scan it later and post it online. ;)

19. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    i love your wand Stormtrooperprincess :)

20. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    STP, that looks fantastic! And so easy to do!

21. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks for unlocking this, S_S!

I have a question about robes, especially for starfire-phoenix if she's around. There doesn't seem to be a seam between the robe front and the hood-- so does that mean the entire hood piece cut out as one piece with the robe front, the way a rolled collar is cut out?

Also, in some pictures, the colored facings and sleeve/hood linings seem to have something of a sheen on them. A trick of the light, or is the fabric slightly shiny?

Caitlin

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, someone did ask the same thing in the ML about the seam. ;)

My original plan for my PoA Robe is to cut the Colored Hood Lining & Facing as one piece. Have to combine the pattern for the facing and hood together (I redrafted a new one from a McCall Robe pattern since original is too wide especially the sleeves while my cloth is only 45" wide) and cut them as 1. But it's kinda a waste of cloth to do it and when I did my Gryffindor one, was in a hurry to complete it. :p Might try this out when I do my Slytherin one tho' only for the Colored Lining. ;)

23. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    It's a terrible, terrible idea to want to do a "Mary Sue" Hogwarts costume, isn't it? Of course it is. I just have to keep telling myself that.

*keeps having visions of pink-lined robes with Sparklypoo House patches*

24. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Hey JainaMSolo, I'm here :)

Yep, I cut out the hood and front piece together as one, so that there is no seam. It took a bit of experimenting, but it worked in the end :) I lined up the hood and the front pieces together, and then drafted it into one. I can email you a photo of my pattern piece if you like.

25. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Oooh, starfire-phoenix, that would be lovely, thank you. I shall PM you with my email address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.