main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Harry Potter Cloaks/Costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I've been working on a more detailed skirt tutorial on and off for a few months, and I've finally finished it. It's on the same page that the old one was, and I've included as many steps as I can think of, with over 30 photos of all the steps along the way. I hope you find it helpful :)

HP Skirt Tutorial

2. EmmasOneandOnly

EmmasOneandOnly Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi Everyone!

I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan and just got into making prop replicas and costumes. I didnt do so well on my first robe (so thats why I bought mine!!) but lucky enough, I have my mom to help me with these things. I really want to make Cedirc's First Task Robe and Hoodie (Yep, I'm a Hufflepuff!!). I think I've got all the photos I can get before the movie comes out. Was hoping I could wear it to the movie release but everything has to be done by hand for me because I'm terrible with a Sewing Machine.

I've already made props for my costumes like the Monster Book of Monsters and the Marauders Map but I wanted to make a few school book covers for my school uniform. Guess I should work on that next year because for the release I want to wear something for the task!

Mike

3. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Hi Mike,

Cedric's task robe would be a great project, though it's a shame there are only a few pics around at the moment. At least you can use Harry's as reference too, and just change the colours accordingly :)

Have you got any pics of your props? They sound really neat :)

4. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    Thank you,

At the moment only one two pictures of Cedirc's robe are out. The Japan movie poster and the Frence movie poster. Both of which are the same photo but the Japan is a little closer then the Frence. Your right, I am using Harry's as referece! I just find it hard to find the athletic mesh or whatever that is for in inside. I'm going to use raincoat type material for the outside, looks just like it dont you think! Should take me a month but if I start in October should be done in time for GOF!!!

Thank you for the welcome

Mike

BTW - Prop Photos

[image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/EmmasOneandOnly/Other/MonsterBook3C.jpg]

[image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/EmmasOneandOnly/Other/Map1A.jpg]

5. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    great props :)

6. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Sounds great, best of luck!
    Your book and map turned out really well :)

I've started a page of reference pics of task robes, and I'd really like to make them once I find some good fabric. The raincoat fabric should work well :) I just need to find some mesh in the right colour.

7. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    Thanks Everyone,

Very easy props to make. Toke 8 months for the map but that was because I search for all the pictures I could and the writting toke about 3 months to complete. But I'd say well worth it! The Monster Book only toke a month. Everything (but the book and fur) came from Michaels craft store

Great page, I hope I can get a Japan promo costume of Harry's if I'm not able to make one before GOF for reference. I'll check around in November. Maybe when I start on my Trading Card collection for the GOF set I can buy one of Harry's or Cedric's costumes that was worn in the movie for a closer look to that. Might come in handy :)

8. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Hi everyone :)
    I kind of stumbled into this thread :p

A very nice collection of reference pics starfire. To see the modern textiles that have been used for the robes reminds me that the HP story is supposed to take place in the present. It's easy to forget that while reading... well, for me ;)

Amazing work everyone! :D

9. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    Some Harry Potter fan sites posted some pictures of GOF movie posters and one of them had a good shoot of Cedrics robe (actually it WAS Cedirc ;) ) so that might be some help to

10. FourCrows

FourCrows Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one in the world trying to figure out this new robe style...I'm thrilled to have found this whole forum, amazing!

Thank you starfire for the references...they help alot! Has anyone found a basic pattern for this robe? I can make modifications, I'm just no good at doing things from scratch.

I don't want to let my 9yo down for the premier, but I'm having a heck of a time!

thanks in advance!
    Robin

11. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    No there are a few people :)

I am debating between the task robes or Fleur's robes to do at the moment. I'll eventually probably do both just need to pick which one to do first.

12. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    I like using McCalls 4340 as a base for robes. I made a set of quiddich robes for a friend of mine with that pattern, and we were both really happy with how they turned out. We only needed to change the sleeve shape and length.

Hi Amber, it's good to see you in this thread! I'm glad to hear that you are going to make some robes :)

13. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I have my Gryffindor one kinda finished, I didn't have the right patch so just put the book one on for now, but turns out I can't make the convention this weekend so will have to be saved for the next one, but at least it if finished.

This thread and your site were a great help in getting my robes finished [:D]

14. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Neat! Do you have any pics yet? I'd love to see them :)

15. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Last pictures taken were without the patch, I can take some later with the patch once my batteries for my camera finish charging :D

16. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Great! Can't wait to see them :)

17. FourCrows

FourCrows Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    Using 4340? Ok, Ihave that...I'm trying to figure out how to do that (forgive my lack of sewing term knowledge!) cape like thing in the back...

and as far as the mesh lining...I was thinking of just making a mesh type shirt he could wear underneath, that looked like it was part of the jacket...and then sewing the mesh lining on the lower half...

how did you guys get around that?

Geesh, I appreciate having someone to talk to about this...most of the folks around here could care less! LOL....

Did you go with a regular raincoat type nylon? or more like a cotton jacket material?

ok...shutting up...I'm going to haunt the fabric stores today and see what I can figure out...

18. FourCrows

FourCrows Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    you know, on this pic.... the cape thingy isn't there, it doesn't even look like it has sleeves...

crimony...

wandering off...

[face_tired]

19. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    You are right, it doesn't look like it does. Strange. Going to have to look at all the other images again now :p

20. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, the best bet is to follow one of the photos if there are several variation. ;)

21. FourCrows

FourCrows Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    hehehehe Darth_Eagle...I think you just answered me over on Malkins list too? I wrote again there, but I think I'm still in the approval stage...

I've been working on reworking this pattern (4340) most of the day...think I may have it...still haven't decided what to do about the mesh...

OT a bit, does anyone know where to get those varsity letters? Red on black...I need to go scouting...didn't make the fabric store yet...will though yet, I think.

22. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    I never realized how bad at sewing I actually was till I tried my luck on the First Task robe. Its doesnt even look like a robe LOL. I guess I'll have to just throw on my robe again for the release :(

Maybe the DVD will help us when it comes out. Its sucks we have to wait till May to get it but after I finish the robe maybe I can wear it out or something LOL ;). Like I said before, the Trading Cards maybe some help. I'm sure some of the base set cards might have some good pictures of the robe and I can scan them and post them here for everyone doing the robe if you'd like :).

23. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    hey guys.. liannb and geekgirl76 helped me make my Fleur Delacour costume. I am wearing it for Halloween and for the GoF release...

liannb made the robe and geekgirl76 made the skirt and final wand design. I am very happy with the way it turned out and can't wait to wear it!

Enjoy the pics.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b364/ms_ventress/Fleur%20Delacour%20Costume/

24. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Nice costume! I think a sweater of some sort might really compliment it well too.

25. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    Very cool!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.