main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Harry Potter OOTP - Midnight Screening

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
  2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I'll see if I can get the night off from work. Sounds like fun!

3. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I've got the night off. I'll be there!

4. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Cool! :cool: I'll see you there. I'm definitely going to have to sleep in the next morning though. Its nice being my own boss [face_dancing].

The best thing about seeing this at the midnight screening (other than being one of the first to see it) is that there won't be any younglings creating a disturbance.

5. BallisticHS

BallisticHS Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2007
    I'm sure some annoying kids will be there[face_frustrated]. Kids now a days are pretty good at using the jedi mind trick on there weak minded parents.

6. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I'll be taking myself and my "annoying' kid to the midnight at opry mills....

Ya'll have fun over there!

7. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    As far as Opry Mills goes, they will be showing the last 20 minutes in 3D at the IMAX:cool: . That should be pretty cool. I'm sure y'all will enjoy that. Although, it makes you wonder why they decided to 3 dimensionalize only the last 20 minutes. [face_money_eyes]

As far as "annoying kids" go (which were not my choice of words), we all know that Kylie definitely isn't one of those. I'm sure she has seen all the other Harry Potter movies and will be enthralled with this one. And besides you've read the books and know what to expect. :-B We are still debating whether or not Michaela is old enough to go, even though she has recently seen all the other Harry Potter movies now.

I have no problems with "kids" at the theater. I have a problem with disruptions or "disturbances". My concern is also with parents who bring really young kids to movies that are not appropriate for them or are too complex for them to possibly comprehend. That is one of the reasons why they came out with the PG-13 rating. But, that of course doesn't matter to some parents. They want to see a particular movie so they drag their kids along with them whether its appropriate for their children or not. The kids naturally get bored or scared and start disrupting everyone else's movie experience. Instead of showing some parental discernment and exiting with their child, they allow their child to continue to act up and disturb everyone else until the audience starts audibly grumbling or sombebody can find a manager

It is especially disturbing when parents bring babies to the movie theater, especially action packed PG-13 or R movies. Movie theaters are so loud these days that it is impractical to expect any baby, unless it is deaf, to quietly sleep through a movie without crying or screaming and disrupting EVERYONE. That is what baby sitters are for. Besides, just about every movie comes out on DVD within 6 months anyway.

Anyway, enjoy the movie at Opry Mills Shannon and let us know if the 3D effects are worth seeing it a second time there. :cool: [face_peace]

8. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    I was too cheap to spring for IMAX....but I did not know about the 3D! AGH!!!! but, I think I will do the IMAX a second time around if it's as good as it looks in the previews. Kylie and I are pumped for it!
    I was reading about people taking their little kids- like 3 and 5- to Hostal...it's just wrong, people need to get sitters or wait for DVD like the rest of us. Movies are intimidating enough for little people with out all that violence! Some parents need brains.
    As far as your daughter,if she saw the last one- when Cedric dies and Voldermore transforming, I am sure she will be ok in this on. Its my favorite of the series :)

9. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999

I wouldn't say she was O.K. with it. It kind of grossed her out (Voldemort transforming) and the part with Sedric being killed botherered her some. At least she didn't have nightmares about it. The advantage we have watching it at home vs seeing it at the theater is that we can pause it or stop the movie if she starts getting scared. At least I'm going to see it first so that I can discuss it with Stephanie and we can decide if its too intense to take her with us to see at the theater.

As far as books go, my favorite is "Goblet of Fire", with "Half Blood Prince" being a close second. As far as movie adaptations go my favorite is "Prisoner of Azkaban". I was naturally disappointed with GOF since its my favorite Harry Potter book and they of course had to cut out so much (too much in my opinion) to condense it into a 2 hour movie.

10. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    yes, that was a dissappointment. SO much was left out of it! I did enjoy half blood prince, too...they better not mess with that one when they make it. This next film looks like it has a lot of promise!
    I agree with your screening it first. You are always a thoughtful parent and more should do the same before just bringing their child to a movie just because it's the cool film to see.

11. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    12 hours 40 minutes and counting. See you there tonight.

BTW, went and saw "Live Free Die Hard" and give it 2 thumbs up! If you liked the first two Die Hard movies, you will like this one. Warning: Make sure you go to the restroom BEFORE the movie and do NOT order the large soda... The movie is 2-1/2 hours long PLUS advertisements and previews (basically 3 hours). There is so much going on, you won't want to miss any of it. Also, Kevin Smith makes a cameo as "the Warlock" a.k.a the "digital Jedi".

12. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    There were actually three Die Hard movies before this one.

13. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999

Yes. But, most fans of the Die Hard Series, including myself, didn't like the 3rd installment, therefore I said "if you liked the first two movies". ;)

Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix movie was very good and a lot better adaptation than Goblet of Fire in my opinion. I still felt like it was a cliff notes version of the book as it jumped quite a bit, even though it was over 2 hours. They of course changed a few things in order to cut scenes (and characters) out and still have the movie make sense. The woman playing professor Umbridge did a great job and it was nice to see Gary Oldman back. I thought that Michael Gambon did a better job playing Dumbledore although I still feel that the late Richard Harris personified Dumbledore perfectly. Malfoy's role was reduced although he should have a pretty significant role in the next movie if the book is any indicator.

The film is as dark as Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban. There are scary Dementors attacks early on and at one point Voldemort possesses Harry. There are also flashbacks to GOF when Sedrick gets killed by Voldemort. This is again not a movie necessarily for sensitive younger kids. However, if they viewed and liked the previous 4 they should enjoy this one too.

BTW, the Thoroughbred was packed! They sold out 4 showings of the movie in the 450+ seat theaters. Next midnight premiere (if I attend) I'll plan on being there an hour and a half before showtime. We entered the theater 45 minutes ahead of time and were lucky to find 3 seats together that weren't in the front section.

14. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. It was as good an adaptation as I could have hoped for, considering the length of the book.

My only disappointment -- staying through the credits and not seeing any extra scene. Oh, well. Better than the alternative.

15. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    thats...reassuring, i guess, that it wasn't as messed up as Goblet as far as leaving stuff out/putting stuff in having nothing to do with the book.
    Chris didn't read the book and didn't have a clue what was going on.

was there supposed to be an extra scene? hadn't heard that one.

we haven't even seen this movie yet, and are totally looking forward to the next one! ;) ooo, boy it's gettin good!

glad they're dark too. hehe.... i mean, glad the books/movies are growing with them in terms of what they're dealing with....

16. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Not that I'm aware of. But there was in several of the previous HP movies. A different director for this movie, so there was never a guarantee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.