Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings... which will be bettter?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediLurker, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLurker Jedi Master

star 1
    I've been thinking about the upcoming (highly anticipated) movies: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Nov. 16th), and the first installment of The Lord of the Rings (Dec. 19th) and I was wondering which I thought was going to be better. Right now, to me at least, it seems about a toss up.

So basically, here's a few questions:

Are you going to see them both? And, if so, which one do you think will be better and why?

Personally, I think that while Harry Potter will be maybe more entertaining... The Lord of the Rings will be more substantial.
  2. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Harry Pothead is highly overrated. The Fellowship of the Ring will be far better.
  3. JadedofMara Jedi Master

star 4
    I love the books pretty equally...lord of the rings is far better writing and higher on my list of favorite books, but harry is HARRY. its great. I think the quality of the movies will depend a lot on the directors, and I've only heard good things about harry potter so far...but LOTR looks really, really amazing from the trailers. Its going to be close.

AOTC will, of course, kick both their asses.
  4. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I asked this same question at another forum today, believe it or not:

Two big fantasy movies coming out this year based on books. Both look very good, both have great music and actors. Both have directors with passion for the material and well suited to the subject materiel. How will they compare? Or is it like apples and oranges?

I think that Harry Potter will be closer to the source materiel, and will be more of a family film, whereas LotR will be much more epic, and not for the little kids.
  5. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    HA! And again, HA!

The Lord of the Rings is the third greatest story ever, and shall certainly be better than AOTC and Harry Pothead and the Stoned Sorceror! [face_devil]
  6. JediLurker Jedi Master

star 1
    True, Harry Potter does seem overly commercialized. You also have to realize, however, how commercialized the media people are now trying to make the Lord of the Rings. It's really pathetic how hard they seem to be trying to push the novels now at the bookstore. Just a few years ago, they barely stocked them on the shelves, much less had a billion copies of various hardcovers/paperbacks/shiny coloring books... etc. etc. ::gag:: They were great novels before all the hype and now it's almost like they're trying to pose them as a new fad or something.
  7. SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Knight

star 1
    From what i've seen in trailers herd and read about peter jackson and LOTR, LOTR will be FAR suprior. LOTR has been a long time coming and the crew working on it are trying to be perfect. It will probably be contending for academy awards. In fact jackson seems to be as much a perfectionist as speilberg, Cameron, and even Lucas.

Potter will come and go but LOTR will probably be remebered for ever.

A better question would be which is better LOTR trilogy or the SW OT, but THAT is a question that won't be able to be answered until 2004....
  8. JediLurker Jedi Master

star 1
    JadeofMara: I agree that it's hard to decide. They both seem like they're going to be good. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that the "Attack of the Clones" will beat out either of these films... especially considering it's name. The first time I heard what Ep.2 was going to be named, I thought it was a joke and laughed out loud.

Mastadge: Lol... yeah, I bet it's a pretty frequent question. I think the trailers to both the movies look really cool. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Overall, I think maybe LotR will be a better film, if only because I have LOVED the novels since before I can remember.
  9. LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't read Harry Potter so i don't have a perspective on it, but i am highly anticipating the release of the fellowship of the ring.
  10. JediLurker Jedi Master

star 1
    LoveisSuicide:

You really should read Harry Potter. I highly recommend it. Yes, it is more of a children's story than LotR, but it is very well written and quite entertaining. Also, the further you get into it, the more engrossed and detailed the story becomes. It starts out as a children's novel and becomes an intriguing fantasy tale. :)
  11. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
    What's the big fuss over Harry Potter and LotR??

LotR had a weak plot, and poor characterizations. The Wheel of Time series is much better, as are a lot of other books/series.

And Harry Potter is just plain dumb.

I won't see either of the movies.
  12. LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, i might read Harry Potter when i have the time. There's just so many books i want to read. Right now i am resting my brain because i have massively been reading Star by Star.
  13. JadedofMara Jedi Master

star 4
    All you doubters! Have a little faith in the flanneled one! Dont judge a book by its cover...OR A MOVIE BY ITS TITLE!!! HAHAHA!

I think that TPM was bad..but it suffered rom introduction syndrome. Where the writer/director/creator has to introduce everything that is going to be important for the next segement of the story...so the plot suffers. And also the movie revolved around a 9-year old, how good of an actor can a 9-year old be? From all that I have heard, AOTC is going to be amazing...sothere!
  14. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Comparing LotR to Harry Potter just isn't possible. LotR is what gave birth to the entire Fantasy genre practically. Although I will admit that it does sadden me to see people in here bashing HP without really giving it a chance. Harry Potter is an unbelievably engaging and well written tale....and much much easier to read multiple times than LotR will ever be.

JMA
  15. corran_rouge9 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I utterely love both book series, and I have been asking myself this very question for quite some time. I am thinking that as movies go, whoever put it that HP will be more enjoyable but LotR more substantial has it right. HP wins out in one area for sure though, 2 and a half mintue Episode 2 Trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am highly anticipating it just to see that. Also, I got the soundtrack yesterday, its another John Williams masterpiece. Can't wait till the 16th.

Just to give LotR some time too though, I did drool over the most recent trailer for about a week. It is sooooo amazing. Certainitly more of Oscar type material than HP.
  16. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Lord of the Rings will be much better, but beaten out at the awards by Black Hawk Down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.