main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Harry Potter] Slave Child, Finally updated again! 10/16

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Kriztin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    wow. loved that story. please add me to the pm list.

2. Kriztin

Kriztin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2009
    Thank you everyone! I'm so happy you're enjoying "Slave Child"! **Somehow when I pasted chapter 9, it showed up in the middle of the responses to reviewers, so there are some of my responses at the end of this chapter.

jedimasterjsa: Yes, Severus does feel very guilty, but it won't destroy him. I had a hard time writing that last chapter because I'm pretty soft-hearted...I just can't bear torture scenes and such, but I did think it would take something drastic to make Severus accept that he'd misjudged Harry, and it had to be something where he had no choice except to blame himself. I think it took that to make him open to the possibility that he'd been wrong about Harry all along.

Thank you too for your kind comments about appreciating the frequent updates. I have been writing SC for a year now and I'm currently working on chapter 38. I can post often until I catch up. After that, the updates will slow down to approximately once a week or so, I'm afraid. But I'm happy you're liking the story and thank you for your thoughtful reviews!

snowspeeder_gunner: Yes, this is a low point for Harry and Severus. I really had a hard time writing that chapter, but I did think it was necessary. Harry's being injured so badly and blaming himself for it is an important step towards Severus admitting that he's been wrong about Harry, in regards to that particular incident and in the past, too. Thank you for reviewing!

My other responses are at the end of chapter 9.

Chapter 9

Poppy stared at him, completely befuddled. "Severus? What is it?"

Severus slowly shook his head again, as if that simple action could change things. But it was true. He knew in his heart it was true. In the back of his mind, he could vaguely recall Potter's bewilderment at Severus' fury, and the way he'd denied it when Severus had accused him of reading the journal. But Severus had been too infuriated to notice or listen then.

If only he had.

Guilt and remorse clogged his throat, making it difficult to speak, but he finally managed to say in a hoarse voice. "I thought he'd read my journal while I was gone. That's why he was cleaning my lab."

"That's what caused this?" Poppy gasped, looking horrified. "But didn't Harry tell you what happened?"

"I...didn't give him a chance to explain," Severus admitted, his voice barely above a whisper by now. He was finding it hard to look Poppy in the eye. "I was too angry."

Poppy's lips thinned, the way they did when she was very upset, but all she said was, "I am much too tired to discuss this rationally now. But Severus, you ought to get on your knees and beg that boy's forgiveness."

She swept out of the office, leaving him alone with his guilt.

After a few minutes, Severus followed her back into the infirmary. Poppy was standing close to the fireplace, speaking quietly with a small house elf who was wearing the oddest assortment of clothing items that Severus had ever seen. The elf nodded eagerly, almost jumping up and down with excitement, before hurrying over to perch on a cot near Albus' and Potter's sleeping forms.

Before retiring, Poppy went back to check on her patients one more time, pausing by Albus' bedside first before moving over to Potter. She waved her wand over him, then gently ran her fingers through his hair and let her hand rest on his brow for a few seconds before she turned away to go to another cot and lay down upon it, falling sound asleep almost as soon her head touched the pillow.

Severus glanced longingly at yet another empty cot, but instead of going to it, he felt drawn to the boy's side. Potter was still pale and there were dark shadows under his closed eyes. Severus swallowed hard and wondered what in the world he would do once the boy regained consciousness.

He would have to apologise, of course. He dreaded it...apologies didn't come easily for him, but he had to. It wouldn't do any good. Potter would hate him...more than ever. But regardless, Severus knew he still had to apologise. Really, he should do more. Poppy was right.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Another great job. Hehe, you did a great job on Snape. I loved how he mentioned wanting to stroke Harry's hair then was immediately followed by a "Wait, what?" reaction. And that day, Snape's heart grew three sizes... ;)

Can't wait for more!

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I rather enjoy your use of Madame Pomfrey so far. It's interesting to see Snape have a friend. Also, great job characterizing Snape and Harry's feelings towards one another and how each one is slowly coming around to see the good in each other. Looking forward to more.

5. jedimasterjsa

jedimasterjsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2008
    I'm glad that Poppy has wised up to Snape's realization that Harry might not be that bad after all and is willing to help him. I liked how Snape was able to look back and realized that everyone who he respects in turn respects Harry, and that made him rethink everything about Harry.

6. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    I'm enjoying this quite immensely. If I can get on the PM list, I'd be ecstatic. Thanks!

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Woah!! Intense. Poo, poor Harry - that's really awful. Glad Snape is learning his lesson.

8. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Awww this was such a good update! It was nice to see things calming down and hopefully moving towards a happier situation for both of them.

Keep up the great work!

9. Kriztin

Jan 4, 2009
    Thank you all very much! I really appreciate your very kind comments and that you take the time to review!

Miana Kenobi: I love the line about Snape's heart growing three sizes! He is rather Grinch-like, isn't he?

yodaminch: Thank you! I'm glad you like the characterizations.

jedimasterjsa: Thank you! Yes, it took Severus long enough, but he's finally willing to give Harry a chance now.

Kidan: Thank you! I'll be happy to add you to the PM list.

NYCitygurl: Thanks so much!

snowspeeder_gunner: Thanks! Yes, things will start to improve for everyone now, but it might take some time.

Okay, here's the next chapter:

Chapter 10

Moonlight streamed through the infirmary windows, its soft silvery glow the only light in the long shadowy room. Four slumbering figures rested on the cots; three of them sleeping peacefully. The fourth tossed and turned in increasing agitation and finally cried out, haunted by visions of past tragedies.

Severus' eyes flew open and he turned his head sharply towards the sound. Harry was having a nightmare, just as Poppy had said he often did. Severus hesitated, but only for a second. Then he slipped out of bed and glided over to the boy's side, a silent dark figure in his habitual black robes. He just hadn't been able to bring himself to wear pyjamas in front of anyone so he'd contented himself with casting a refreshing charm on his clothes and then wearing them to bed.

He paused by Harry's cot. They were in the shadows, but Severus thought he saw traces of tears on the boy's face. He himself felt almost overcome with conflicting emotions; the old resentment warring with sympathy, regret, and his new uncertainties about Harry Potter.

But the boy had been through hell recently, and he'd always had to carry a burden that was far too heavy for any child to have to bear. He needed comfort. Severus tentatively reached over and gave the boy's upper arm a slight shake.

"Wake up, child," he said softly.

Harry flinched at the contact and gasped, as if in pain. For a second, Severus was bewildered until he remembered that he had left bruises on the boy's arms when he had shaken him so furiously. Poppy had been absolutely livid when she had informed him of that, perhaps even more angry about that than Harry's injured lungs.

Severus didn't know which he felt worse over. The damage to Harry's lungs had been far more painful and dangerous, but that had been at least partially an accident. Severus didn't want to call it an accident, because he knew the whole thing was his fault and he wasn't trying to excuse himself or justify his uncontrolled temper and inexcusable carelessness. But he had never meant for Harry to be poisoned.

But he had deliberately gripped the boy's arms hard enough to leave bruises and in a fit of rage, had shaken him violently. Just as Harry's relatives had done in the past. Severus loathed himself for that. He didn't know if Harry would be able to forgive him and perhaps be willing to give him another chance...the boy had already endured so much injustice at Severus' hands...but he knew he had to try to make things up to him.

He moved his hand away, but spoke in a gentle, reassuring tone that very few people had ever heard him use. "It's all right, Harry. You're safe now. It was just a nightmare and it's over."

Harry glanced around and he swallowed hard before saying, "I'm sorry for waking you."

Severus shook his head. "No, it...it is I who owes you an apology."

Even in the darkness, he could see the blank astonishment on the boy's face. Somehow, the fact that Harry had so obviously not expected him to feel any remorse made him feel worse than ever.

"I misjudged you and I lost my temper. I should have given you a chance to explain," Severus said, hating how the words sounded so stiff and inadequate. He just didn't know how to express his feelings. He'd never been very good at sharing his emotions, especially the difficult ones like remorse and guilt. At times like this, his eloquence deserted him and he felt completely t

10. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    another great post, it's interesting to see harry's and Snape's feelings as they shift.

great job! an thanks for the PM

11. Tatooine_Ghost

Jul 24, 2006
    loved it.can not wait for the next chapter.

12. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Awesome update- I can't wait to see what happens next.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, go Snape for apologizing!! :D

14. zonzo

zonzo Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm really liking this- Good job!

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Awwww, so cute!

Great job, hun!

16. Kriztin

Jan 4, 2009
    Thank you all for your kind comments! Sorry for the long delay, but here are two chapters to make up for it! I hope you'll enjoy them!

Kriztin

Chapter 11

Severus stepped out of the fireplace of the upstairs sitting room, guiding Harry along with him. Norie and Zan were waiting eagerly and as soon as the boy was out of the grate they were swarming all over him, offering sympathy and wanting to know how he felt. Norie kept asking Harry if he'd had all the doses of his potions, and if he wanted anything to eat or drink, while Zan suggested several times that he might want to lie down and rest for a while before dinner, and if Harry was very tired they could bring a tray to his bed.

Severus shook his head slightly at them, but stayed quiet. He was persona non grata with the elves right now and anyway, he did understand that they had been very worried and upset over Harry's injury. He himself had been concerned, was still concerned actually, and though he wasn't the sort to fuss over anyone, he could understand that Norie and Zan needed to.

Harry reassured them that he was fine now, but he seemed very quiet and dispirited. Norie and Zan didn't look convinced, and Severus felt his own concern grow. Perhaps if they gave him a little time to settle back in ...

"If you're ready, Harry, I'll see you to your rooms," he said and led the way across the hall. When he'd firecalled the elves earlier, he'd asked them to move Harry from the small distant room he'd put the boy in to the suite across the hall from his own. It was a much nicer set of rooms and it would be easier to keep an eye on Harry if he were close by.

Harry risked a quick glance at him at the word ?rooms', but he didn't question it, following Severus in silence. At the doorway to his new quarters though, he paused and looked around uncertainly.

They were standing in a spacious sitting room, with a small sofa and a couple of armchairs set before a wide fireplace with a carved stone mantel. The sofa and chairs were light beige, with brown and sage-green throw pillows, and a warm fleecy ivory and gold patterned blanket was neatly folded across the back of the sofa.

It was a corner room, and two broad windows overlooking the gardens and the moor bathed it in gentle sunlight. Window seats with brown and sage-green pillows were built into the thick walls, and a faded brown and gold patterned rug covered much of the stone floor. A generous-sized bookcase and a desk, made of gleaming mahogany wood, were set by the walls, and a small table rested between the sofa and chairs.

A wide arched doorway led to the bedroom, where a huge four-poster bed was covered with a soft beige comforter and brown and sage-green pillows. There was a night table on the right side of the bed, and a large wardrobe stood against the inside wall. Another tall window took up much of the space on the opposite wall, and a small corner door led to a bath. Harry's trunk was set at the foot of the bed and the snowy owl slumbered in her cage on the desk.

Severus surreptitiously studied the boy, trying to gauge his reaction to the rooms, but he couldn't tell how Harry felt. He cleared his throat. "Madame Pomfrey said you would need to continue taking potions for seven days, and for you to rest and not exert yourself during that time. I thought it might be wise to move you a bit closer to my own rooms while you are recuperating."

He hesitated. He'd planned on it being a permanent move, but it dawned on him that possibly Harry might resent these decisions being made for him. "If you wish, these rooms will be yours from now on. I probably should have given them to you to start with. But if you prefer your old room, then you may move back to it next week. It's your decision."

Harry hesitated, too, but then gave a small nod and said quietly, "They're very nice rooms. Thank you, sir."

Severus wondered if that meant Harry wanted to stay here or if he would move back up to the little room on the third floor once he was completely well, but he wasn't about to ask. He alread

17. Kriztin

Jan 4, 2009
    Chapter 12

Harry crumpled up a sheet of parchment and pushed it aside with a frustrated sigh. It was his fourth attempt to write a letter to Ron, and trying to come up with a reply that would reassure his friend and yet not give away any information about his new circumstances was beginning to seem impossible. He didn't want to lie to Ron and Hermione, but it was going to be hard not to.

After a while, he dipped his quill into his ink bottle and began again.

Dear Ron,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back in touch with you, but things have been pretty busy around here. Don't worry; I'm all right. I woke up a few days after you guys had gone home, and I've been fine. Thanks for sitting with me while I was out of it, and yeah, Malfoy's definitely a jerk, but we've always known that, haven't we?

That's great news about your dad getting Cannons tickets. I know you'll have fun at the game. I don't think I can make it this time, but thanks for inviting me. Dumbledore thinks it's not safe for me to go out now, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see you back at school in September.

Harry carefully re-read the two paragraphs, checking to be sure they were sufficiently vague. Then he swallowed a painful lump in his throat as he wished desperately that he could have accepted Ron's invitation to go to the Chudley Cannons' Quidditch match and to spend the last half of the summer with the Weasleys.

He imagined being at the cozy Burrow, surrounded by the Weasley clan, noisy and rambunctious, loving and happy. They were the closest thing he had to a family of his own, and he missed them. But he had to live with Snape now, and in any case he didn't want to endanger the Weasleys so it was just as well really, that he couldn't be with them. Hopefully, the line about Dumbledore wanting him to stay away would be enough to deter them, but perhaps he should mention the invitation to Snape. It would be disastrous if the Weasleys showed up at Privet Drive, determined to rescue him from the Dursleys.

Harry allowed himself to remember Ron and the twins coming to save him in the flying Ford Anglia, and coming again with their father two years later to take him to the Quidditch World Cup. For just a moment, he wondered what might happen if he did tell Ron about the slavery spell. But not even the Weasleys could rescue him this time, and anyway, he'd promised not to tell.

Harry took a deep breath. It would be all right, he told himself. One day he'd be with people who loved him again. One day, he'd be with his real family and everything would be perfect. He'd just have to get by as best he could until that day came.

He glanced at the clock on the wall and stood up from the desk. He'd have to finish writing letters after breakfast. It was time to go downstairs now if he didn't want to be late. He glanced down, making sure his plaid shirt was neatly tucked into his jeans, and then slowly headed down to the dining room. He'd considered saying that he still didn't feel well and asking for another tray to be brought up to him, but he didn't think Snape would go for it again, so he'd reluctantly decided he'd have to go downstairs to eat.

The professor was already seated at the head of the table when Harry came in, but it was still a couple of minutes before eight according to the grandfather clock in the corner. Harry cast an uncertain glance at Snape as he slid into his seat beside him, but the professor didn't seem to notice. Norie smiled at him as she brought their plates in from the kitchen and Harry gave her a tiny smile back. The elf glared at Snape as she went by, but he didn't seem to notice that either.

At first they ate in silence, as they always had. Snape cleared his throat several times, but he didn't speak and when Harry risked looking over at him, the professor seemed intent on spreading butter and jam on his toast.

They were about halfway through, and Harry had managed to eat a few bites of his pancake when Snape abruptly spoke.

"How do you feel this morning?"

Harry stared at him,

18. Tatooine_Ghost

Jul 24, 2006
    wow. that was so cool. loved it. can not wait for the next part.

19. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Awwwww! So good! I love how Snape is trying so hard to be nice to Harry.

Keep up the great work!

20. jedimasterjsa

jedimasterjsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2008
    Wow. Harry and Snape's relationship took some very big steps there.

This and their whole conversation about Harry's wealth was one of the biggest. Snape is actually trying to make peace and he is showing he cares. Harry's confusion and nervousness about this switch in their relationship is understandable. After all, the boy has never really been cared for before. I mean, sure Sirius and his friends all love him, but they couldn't care for and provide for Harry like Snape now can and is. To have this almost loving and family-like care coming from Snape after all these years of hatred between them must be extremely confusing for Harry.

This here could be, I think, the thing that finally convinces Harry that he may be wrong about Snape, just like Snape was wrong about him. And Snape not wanting to ruin the moment and being willing to let the "lecture" slide by for the moment shows Snape is fully deserving of Harry coming to this realization.

Way to go Kriztin! I think these last two chapters have been the finest yet for this piece! =D=

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks goodness it's back - I've been dying for more :D

Love it! My favorite chapters yet. Snape is so sweet, paying for his clothes and books and making sure Harry has a bunch of spending money. nd giving him back the broomstick!! He's a softie [face_love]

Dying for the next chapter!!

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I found this on another site and have now caught completely up and I must say you've done a fantastic job with the story, the characters and there relationships. Please keep writing more. [face_praying]

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Aww! Yay!!

Great job! Glad to see Severus really trying to make amends. :D

Definitely agree about the money talk. Very awesome on Snape's part. :D

24. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    wow, those were two great posts. It's great to see Snape opening up like that, and Harry's hesitance in accepting it.

great job!!

25. Kriztin

Jan 4, 2009
    Thank you all! I appreciate your kind comments so much!

Tatooine_Ghost: Thank you! I'm happy you're enjoying SC.

snowspeeder_gunner: Thank you! Glad you like it!

jedimasterjsa: Wow, those are some great observations! I enjoyed reading your thoughts so much. Harry and Severus did take some big steps here, and they will continue to, but it will still take a little more time before Harry is able to trust Severus. He wants to, but right now he's just too confused, plus after so many years of hostility between them, he's not sure that Severus has really changed. But they're definitely on the right path.

NYCitygurl: Thanks so much! Well, Severus Snape would die before he would admit to being a softie, and maybe some people would say that he's OOC here, but I think canon did show that he could be loyal and utterly devoted to someone (Lily in canon) if he only allowed himself to care. In canon, I don't think he ever allowed himself to care for anyone else the way he did for her, but if he did let someone into his heart, I believe that he could, and would, treat that person in a very different way. In SC, he does let Harry into his heart and therefore, his feelings and his whole demeanor change towards the boy.

yodaminch: Oh, thank you! I'm very happy and humbled that you would find SC elsewhere and read it all! It's rather long, too. I'm so pleased that you like it all so far. I'm currently working on ch. 39 and hope to finish it in another day or two.

Miana Kenobi: Thank you so much!

Kidan: Thank you! Yes, Harry is still hesitant about trusting Snape. There's too much bad history between them for everything to be all right overnight, but they're working on it.

Okay, here's the next chapter. I hope you'll enjoy it. Oh, am I getting everyone who wanted a PM? I hope so...don't want to leave anyone out!

Kriztin

Chapter 13

Severus had expected Harry to ask permission to go flying once he'd returned the Firebolt, or even to just go ahead, since returning the broomstick was really giving tacit permission to use it. But Harry simply stored the Firebolt and the cloak in his room and went back to studying.

Severus watched him from the doorway for a little while. It really wasn't like the Harry Potter he'd observed at Hogwarts to give up flying to read textbooks. Of course he knew that his observations had been flawed, and greatly so, for him to have misjudged the child's basic personality so badly, but still he didn't think he'd been wrong about the fact that Harry loved flying.

He cleared his throat and Harry jumped as he turned around in his chair to see Severus watching him.

"You seem to have spent a great deal of time studying the past few days," Severus said. "And Norie and Zan tell me you worked hard on your school assignments the first days you were here, also. Surely you don't have that much summer homework, even in Potions." He risked giving the boy a tiny smile as he ended.

Harry hesitated; then said quietly. "No, sir. I've already finished all the assignments."

"Then why...?" Severus frowned. "I know I told you that I expected you to do well in your classes, but I didn't mean that you had to study to the exclusion of everything else. You may take some time to enjoy yourself, too."

"Thank you, sir." Harry stared down at the floor, biting his lip.

Severus had the impression that he wasn't finished speaking, or that he was at least debating over whether to say something else. Severus waited silently, willing the boy to continue.

Finally he did. "It's just that I need to know as much as I can, so I'll be ready when I have to face Voldemort again. Or as ready as I can be, I guess."

Harry looked back up at him, his expression a mixture of anxiety and resignation, and Severus felt a wave of compassion that the boy had to bear this burden.

He sighed and started to step into the room, then stopped. "May I come in?"

The boy looked surprised, but he nodded, and Severus came in and pulled an armchair closer to the desk before sitting and sayin