main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Harry Potter] Sparkling Like Magic (50 Sentence Challenge) Set #4 -- 1/29

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: Sparkling Like Magic
    Characters: Everyone!
    Timeframe: All over the place.
    Summary: Sometimes one sentences says it all.
    Notes: Written for the January Fifty Sentence Challenge. This story covers all four January sets.

there was once a boy who lived . . .

01. Bewitched

Of all the magic Hogwarts held, flying was the thing that bewitched Harry most.

02. Bravery

Neville didn?t feel very brave when he was lying jinxed on the common room floor, but when his actions gave Gryffindor the points they needed to win, he thought that maybe, for once, he had been.

03. Charm

Hermione had never been able to charm boys like a regular girl, but after a few weeks at Hogwarts, she could charm them a different way.

04. Intellectual

She always had her nose in a book or her hand in the air, but to her amazement, she discovered that Victor did, too.

05. Cooky

Molly Weasley hated the mess that her six boys and one small daughter made, but she was never happier than when they were gathered around her table, eagerly awaiting dinner.

06. Filthy

Potter called him filthy, but the pretty-boy pansy never knew what he?d gone through to make him want to not stand out.

07. Family

It didn?t take having a wife and kids to make Harry realize that even though he?d lost his parents, he?d had a family for a long time.

08. Sense

Hermione often made no sense ? usually when she was trying to explain homework or was miffed at her friends ? but Ron still listened (even when he pretended he didn?t).

09. Rubbish

After all their years of friendship, one word had turned their relationship to rubbish: Mudblood.

10. Wart

Witches, Harry soon discovered, didn?t all have long, pointy hands and equally pointy noses with warts ? and they?d thank you to remember that.

11. House

Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place ? and its inhabitants ? would always be Sirius?s house in Harry?s mind.

12. Diary

After her first year at Hogwarts, Ginny never kept a diary again.

13. Wand

?The wand chooses the wizard, remember . . .? haunted him for seven years.

14. Alchemy

All the fools who wanted to turn metal into gold were idiots ? only surpassed by those who wanted to turn it into life itself.

15. Dotting

The next morning, he realized that the marks on his hand had dotted traces of blood across his sheets while he slept.

16. Color

Even after he realized that dividing students into Houses created more problems than it solved, Harry couldn?t help but feel a sense of pride when he saw red and gold filling the Great Hall.

17. Magical

The most magical part of his new world, Harry later learned, was her.

18. Studious

Ron said there was only so much information one person could cram into his or her brain, but Hermione studied late through the night.

19. Haughty

Sirius?s haughty exterior started off as a mask to hide his fear ? and became one he used to hide his pain.

20. Copy

Peter idolized James and Sirius and tried to copy their every move ?until he made one they would never do.

21. Voodoo

Despite his father?s often-ranted beliefs, after the Dementor attack, Dudley knew that magic was much, much more than crazy voodoo.

22. Broom

The Nimbus 2000 wasn?t just a broom ? it was an extension of Harry.

23. Prophecy

Harry started to regret taking Professor Trelawney?s class immediately, and would have stopped after third year . . . if it hadn?t been for her prophecy at the end of the term.

24. Spirit

Harry knew they were just spirits, but having his parents with him as he walked to the forest to face Voldemort gave him the courage he needed to continue.

25. Misstep

2. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Funny, sweet and deep - wonderful little bits of HP and Hogwarts.

@};-

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    These were all great. Couldn't choose a favorite. :)

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, these were too wonderful for words. =D= I was so happy to see you doing these - there was seriously a song and a dance involved. [face_love]

Charm: You go girl! Proof that it is intelligence that will win out over mindless beauty. [face_love]

Filthy: Young Snape? :( My heart broke for him, if that was the case! (sshhh, Snape/Lily shipper here from book one, and it that is a guilty pleasure of mine. :oops:)

Sense: The two of them are just so endearing. And this is one reason why. [face_love]

Rubbish: My heartstrings! :_|

Alchemy: A very clever way to use the prompt! =D=

Color: *cough* Silver and green. *cough, cough* ... Oh, and that's where there would be a problem. :p

Haughty: A very, very nice character look. I have to remember that when my anti!Sirius-ness goes off. :)

Spirit: [face_love]!!!

Spell: Ron is just too adorable for words! [face_love]

Bond: The whole backbone of the series. [face_love]

Hex: Best line/part/moment EVER!!

Proffesor: Aww!! Good for him. [face_love]

Smoke: [face_laugh]!! Too true. :p

Portrait: *happy giddy fangirl mushiness*

Yep. Those were wonderful! =D=

I look forward to seeing the rest. [face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I like how you follow "lifetime" with "hold" - James and Lily's relationship, then Harry and Ginny's.

I also like "voodoo" - I guess in many ways Dudley is kind of like Draco - they both are not what they first appear.

Nice job! :D

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Lovely set, Nat! :D All of my favourite characters, all lovely reflections on them. I love "Bravery" (yay, Neville!), "Sense", "Voodoo" (Dudley's simple realisation made me laugh - in a good way!), and "Broom" (wow, where have I heard that before? Oh right, music class :p ).

Wonderful job! :D Can't wait to see what you come up with for the other ones. :)

7. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Nat: Such a wonderful set.

I adored it. cuz I adore Harry Potter!

And Portrait: same as Mira - fangirl squeal!!!

I love me some Snape!

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hazel: Thanks!!

Fels: Thanks!!

Mira: Thanks!! I love this challenge :D Yeah, Filthy is young Snape :( Guy got a bum deal, for sure. Re: Color: [face_laugh] :p Hermione?s slap was epic :D Thanks!

Divapilot: Thanks!! I would love to see a Harry and Dudley post-books fic ? I think it would be really interesting to explore their relationship more.

Idri: Thank you very much :D

MJ: Thanks!! Hmm, looks like we have some Snape fangirls around here . . . :D

A/N: This set is Harry-centric :D

as we chased the stars from their black, black sky

01. Venture

Harry knew that venturing into the Forbidden Forest was a bad idea?but unlike exploits yet to come, this one wasn?t up to him.

02. Gravity

When he was flying, he felt weightless, defying the pull of gravity . . . and maybe even reaching as high as the stars.

03. Try

It wasn?t a matter of trying to defeat Voldemort; it was a matter of doing it or watching his whole world shatter.

04. Disarm

The Expelliarmus charm was a favorite of Harry?s, to the point where it became like a signature?and, as he found one fateful night, a very dangerous one.

05. Crisis

Voldemort or no Voldemort, no crisis was quite like an upcoming Potions exam.

06. Worth

After all those years of being smothered by the uncaring, overbearing Dursleys, it was nice to get the acknowledgement from Dudley that Harry meant something.

07. Cheat

Harry and Ron didn?t care what Hermione said?if the only way to pass Trelawney?s class was to make things up, then make things up they would.

Jealousy

Harry felt a hot spike of jealousy run through him when he saw Ginny with Dean, though he wasn?t prepared to admit, even to himself, why.

09. Wingman

Even though they never really ?played the field? (any field but the Quidditch pitch, that was?har, har), Ron would always be Harry?s wingman, no matter the adventure.

10. Trek

What doesn?t kill you makes you stronger, but Harry thought their journey to find the remaining Horcruxes might very well kill them.

11. Patience

Harry had very little patience for studying?he would rather be doing.

12. Stunt

He knew it had been a dangerous stunt to pull, but it was necessary?and he couldn?t say that, given the chance to do it over, he wouldn?t have cast the Patronus, because he would do it again . . . which, really, was what saved him in the first place . . . not that this Time Turner business really made any sense.

13. Bandage

Harry ended up in the infirmary a lot over the years, though no trip was quite as painful as when he?d had to have his bones regrown.

14. Quirk

Hermione chastised him sometimes about being too cocky, but Harry saw?in the Pensieve, and in the story of his fathers? friends?that James Potter had been the same way, and that only encouraged him.

15. Clasp

Harry clasped the shard of mirror so hard it almost cut his hand, but he kept staring into it, desperate for another glimpse of Dumbledore.

16. Hald

He had been right, and Snape had been the Half Blood Prince all along?but by the time he found that out, it no longer mattered.

17. Flirt

Harry didn?t have enough experience with girls to know how to properly flirt?or to say anything, for that matter, that didn?t sound extremely awkward and mad Cho look at him funny.

18. Celestial

But by the time he fell in love with Ginny, it didn?t seem to matter?not even her almost celestial beauty could keep him too awkward for words.

19. Respect

Harry didn?t know how to show his respect, if not affection, for everything Snape had done for him, but three words?Albus Severus Potter?were a living, breathing memorial to a misunderstood man.

20. Distraction

Hermione screamed, but Harry knew he couldn?t let himself be distracted from the game, even as he ached to see Ron?s limp body across the chessboard.

9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I had forgotten about the regrowing og Harry's bones incident. :p Ouch!

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Snape fangirl? [face_batting] Who? Me. :p

[face_whistling]

Ahem. :p

Try: Sometimes its easy to forget just how much these kids have weighing on their shoulders. :( Very powerful sentence. =D=

Crisis: Voldemort - nothing in the face of one of Snape's tests. [face_laugh]

Wingman: Yay for the power of parenthesis! :cool: This was lovely. [face_love]

Bandage: Yikes! :(

Quirk: Careful there with that comparission kid. [face_laugh]

Flirt: Adorable! [face_love]

Respect: fhfaiosahiosl; <---- goey fingers do not type well. [face_laugh] [face_love]

Comission: Oh, brilliant! [face_devil] :cool:

Bicker: [face_love] These sentences are so thick with their friendship that it is wonderful to read. :)

Wreckage: Very powerful. =D=

Renewal: Aww. [face_love]

Ale: [face_laugh]!!

Ferocity: Another Wesley woman, kicking butt. :cool:

Enterprise: And that right there is the backbone of these stories. [face_love]

Simply wonderful! =D=

~MJ @};-

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hazel: Yeah, it just sounds super-painful.

Mira: Thanks!! I?m glad you enjoyed them :D (And that respect made you gooey :D )

I got the last two sets written next weekend - now, to post them! :D

oh, the weather outside is frightful

01. Winter

When winter came, all Hermione wanted to do was hole up in the library with a good book (though one might say that she always wanted to do that, no matter the weather).

02. Decorate

The Great Hall was decorated to perfect for the holidays, but when Hermione learned that house-elves had done most of the work, she started hating the twinkling lights.

03. Sparkling

Ron?s eyes were sparkling with joy, but Hermione turned and saw he wasn?t looking at her, and her heart started to break, even though she couldn?t admit, even to herself, why.

04. Sled

Sledding down a hill was fun and good, but Hermione didn?t approve of the Weasley twins? attempt to sled down staircases in the castle.

05. Wool

Ron looked stupid in his wool hat, and she told him so . . . and didn?t add that she liked it.

06. Snow

The snow lay crisply across the graveyard, piling gently on graves that said ?James and Lily Potter,? a cold memorial to her friend?s long-dead but never forgotten parents.

07. Mitten

Hermione tugged her mittens on, quietly cursing the cold, and cast a warmth charm, wondering if this journey would ever end, if she would ever be truly warm again.

08. Jingle

As Krum swung her correctly, if stiffly, around the Great Hall, Hermione couldn?t help but be a little seduced by his gentlemanly charm.

09. Hospitality

Xenophilius Lovegood was sweet, if wacky . . . and then he called the witch hunters, and Hermione lost all sympathy for him.

10. Melt

Harry and Ron were dripping wet and grinning, but it would take more than Ron?s reappearance and Harry?s acceptance to melt her hear and earn her forgiveness.

11. Nippy

Even with the warmth charms, the tent was a little nippy . . . so Hermione could, perhaps, be forgiven for scooting a little closer to Ron?body heat, you know.

12. Merry

The stay at Grimmauld Place wasn?t the Christmas she?d envisioned, but Sirius?s attempts to make it merry, and the celebratory feeling of Mr. Weasley narrowly escaping a ghastly fate, made it a good celebration.

13. Slippery

The ingredients were slippery, so Hermione had to be careful with her knife, or she?d cut them improperly, as she saw Harry, Ron, Neville, Dean?couldn?t anyone else get it right?

14. Gift

Ron and Harry had sent her presents, but the best Christmas gift of all was that, finally, for the first time in her life, she had true friends.

15. Skates

Skating across the lake, especially since it wasn?t completely frozen, was NOT a good idea, and she told them so?and felt a grim satisfaction when Ron and Harry fell into the lake.

16. Glow

Ginny seemed to walk around with a little glow these days, one Hermione fully attributed to long-awaited attention from Harry . . . and Hermione couldn?t help but feel a little jealous of her friend?s happiness.

17. Snowball

Hermione reeled from the snowball that hit her arm?and turned and saw the Weasley twins heading away from her . . . in the opposite direction of their next class.

18. Snowman

Ron eagerly showed her his snow creation, and Hermione felt a thrill of pleasure that he?d put a book in his half-snow, half-magic image . . . because it was of her.

19. Bundle

Hermione grimaced at the bundle, knowing that it was hiding an illegal dragon?and if they got caught smuggling Norbert out of Hogwarts, they?d all be in trouble.

20. Powder

The powder was everywhere?her clothes, her hair, the desk . . . Hermione would have glared at the cringing Neville, but she saw Professor Snape start to stalk over to them, and decided that Neville was in for more lectur

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    *punches air*

Yes! A completely Hermoine set. [face_love] It doesn't get better than this. :D [face_dancing]

Snow, Cocoa, Pine, Bells, Cinnamon, and Aroma, were some of the highlights. [face_love]

Together was perfect for its simple emotion. Just . . . lovely. [face_love]

~MJ @};-

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mira: Thanks!! Glad you enjoyed :D

I was going to do a set each of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but this was too good to pass up :D

veers most verbose; variably

01. Verse

Tom Riddle was better-versed in the Dark Arts before he knew what the Dark Arts even were than most people are in a lifetime.

02. Visualize

Riddle saw a world where no wizards knew strife, no wizards were held back, trapped by those too afraid of their marvelous gifts to give them the freedom to be.

03. Vocalize

He had always hated his name?Tom Marvolo Riddle, in part after the weak Muggle father who had abandoned him ?so he invented a new name, a better name, a name the world would know.

04. Veil

The veil was a mystery?well, everything here was a mystery; this was the Department of Mysteries, after all?but as soon as he that blood traitor, Sirius Black, fall through and not come out the other side, he knew . . . and wondered how best to make use of such a tool.

05. Victim

His first victims were schoolchildren at the orphanage, about his own age?but he soon grew out of such petty things as terrorizing children and into a much greater use of his talents.

06. Volunteer

Tom was always the first one to raise his hand in class, the first to offer a professor help, and they all loved him for his wit and charm . . . except one.

07. Vicissitude

So much had changed, after his travels?he had changed, grown more powerful . . . and so had Hogwarts and its new headmaster, and that wasn?t something he liked at all.

08. Vocabulary

He had an amazing grasp on, among others things, the English language, but there was one word he hated above all else, and that was ?no.?

09. Vociferous

Albus Dumbledore had never openly opposed him at Hogwarts, or said or done anything to stand in his way . . . but when Lord Voldemort declared himself, Dumbledore was his strongest and most vocal opponent.

10. Vitrine

His followers?his Death Eaters?were easy to read: They wanted money, fame, glory, and above all, power . . . and that was why he chose them.

11. Veteran

Greyback had been evil long before he?d ever heard the word ?Voldemort.?

12. Vestige

He spent years in the twilight of barely survival, the last vestiges of himself no longer enough to make him anything resembling human, wondering where he had gone wrong.

13. Value

He eventually learned of the value of love, but to his dying day, he never truly understood it, because Lord Voldemort did not truly understand what it was to love.

14. Visor

The hood of the cloak was like a visor over his eyes, hiding his unholy appearance until he could finally look into the eyes of his most faithful servant and assure him that Master had returned.

15. Volt

A volt of pure power and light show out of his wand . . . a stopped, close but not close enough, held back by the power of another wand . . . its twin.

16. Vogue

He started slowly, carefully, not moving too quickly to take power, letting his ideology come into vogue among those he most wanted to convert, before he began to strike.

17. Veneer

Beneath the veneer of a caring servant, Voldemort knew Wormtail was nothing more than a quivering coward, who had only come back because he knew he faced a slightly lesser chance of death than at the hands of those he had once called friends.

18. Vanity

He was vain, it was true, and he had a flair for the dramatic?and at crucial moments, both had gotten him into trouble.

19. Vanilla

He vowed that he would be no ordinary, vanilla dissenter?no, he would be a Dark Lord capable of ruling the world.

20. Villain

Part of him knew that he was the villain of the story . . . but no part of him cared.

21. Visit

His first visit to Hogwarts after he returned from his travels was disappointing . . . and he vowed that his next visit would

14. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Harry and Ron didn?t care what Hermione said?if the only way to pass Trelawney?s class was to make things up, then make things up they would.
    With how much Trelawney made up...[face_whistling]

Wingman- [face_laugh]

Ron?s eyes were sparkling with joy, but Hermione turned and saw he wasn?t looking at her, and her heart started to break, even though she couldn?t admit, even to herself, why.
    Aw :(

Even with the warmth charms, the tent was a little nippy . . . so Hermione could, perhaps, be forgiven for scooting a little closer to Ron?body heat, you know.
    Of course. ;)

He knew what had happened to Grindlewald, and he vowed that would not be his fate?locked up in a prison, powerless, forgotten by the world, a short vignette in the life of Albus Dumbledore.

Love that one.

Great sets!

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Did I forget to comment on the rest of your sets? :oops: [face_blush] Bad, bad Idri!

I really enjoyed these, Nat. :) They're so... Harry Potter and everything! [face_laugh] I especially loved the following:

The position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor was vacant again . . .and again . . . and again . . . and would be, again and again, until Voldemort had completed his revenge.

So creepy, so haunting, so... wonderful. =D=

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Best subject ever, I have to tell you. :D So much here was deliciously evil and twisted, and it was an interesting change after the lightly dramatic sentences of the last prompts. =D=

Vocalize: You have Riddle's character down pat here. Just, there was lots of shivering and tingling. Perfect. [face_devil]

Victim: I liked your tone here - matter-of-fact and simple, and the weight behind the words is very striking. =D=

Vocabulary: And sometimes he's just a child. [face_laugh]

Value: Wonderfully powerful sentence. =D= That is, I believe, the core of the message behind all of the HP novels. [face_love]

Virtuous: A beautiful dose of black humour. :p

Vacant: Best one of the set. Just AMAZING. =D=

Volant: Oh . . . :(

Votive: Wow . . . [face_devil]

Visage: Oh, this one too! Just chilling and eerie in the best way.

Wonderful sentences, Nat!! =D=

~MJ @};-

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Fels: Thanks!! Yeah, Trelawney . . . oy 8-} The Voldemort ones were particularly fun to write :D

Idri: [face_laugh] That?s okay [:D] I?m glad you liked them!! I loved writing Voldemort?WAY too much fun :D

Mira: Thanks!! I was thinking about doing Ron, but I couldn?t pass up the V?s :D I?m glad you liked them!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.