main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Harry Potter] The Folly of Youth - Snape, Harry, potions class - one post

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by ardavenport, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: The Folly of Youth
    Author: ardavenport
    Genre: Harry Potter, drama
    Timeframe: Harry's fifth year at Hogwarts
    Characters: Sanpe, Harry Potter, students in potions class
    Keywords Snape, Harry, potions class, rejuvenation
    Summary: Snape tries to teach his students a rejuvenation potion.
    And: typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to JKR I?m just playing in her sandbox

The sad reality of the future straggled into Snape's classroom soon after the bell ending the last class period. They all looked guilty.

Snape was quite certain that they had reason to be. Today they would finally complete the Rejuvenation Potion and their meager discipline to prepare the required ingredient would be tested. No doubt with predictable failure for many.

"Now," he began after the bell rang. "We shall see if you are capable?"

Justin Finch-Fletchley hurried in late to a seat in the back of the room.

"Of successfully mixing the Rejuvenation Potion." Snape strolled down the aside. "You have all had more than enough time to complete all the ingredients." Snape could have completed them in half the time he had allowed these youths. The eyes of the whole class followed him, for once attentive.

Whack!

Finch-Fletchley cringed as Snape's wand rapped him smartly on his head. Snape turned around and stared them all down.

"Five points from Hufflepuff," he said to the tardy boy. "Thirty points off from the house of anyone who needs to ask for any replacement ingredients because they did not properly complete their homework." He began strolling forward again. Snape thought that this was generous enough for their pathetic skills. He should deny them any replacements and fail them entirely. How difficult was it to leave moonstones out on the roof under the full moon, or collect dew from the right plants in the morning?

"I can assure you that the examiners for the OWLs will not be as forgiving as I. This potion represents exactly the sort of care and attention to detail that you will have been expected to master."

Whack!

His wand came down on a note flying between rows. It squirmed under the tip of his wand; the intended recipient shrank back on her bench. Snape picked it up and opened it.

"Hmmm," he said, bored. "It appears you have a date tonight, Miss Turpin." Laughter tittered through the rest of the class. It took so little to entertain the young. "Five points from Ravenclaw. And I trust you can tear your mind away sufficiently from your hormonal pursuits to complete today's lesson?"

Turpin gulped and nodded.

"Open your books to page 173," he announced, returning to the front of the room. Snape reviewed the essential steps and pointed out the most problematical parts while he distributed the remaining essential ingredients to them. After that they all began.

They were all old enough now not to have the typical problems of first-years getting their caldrons properly lit. But somehow Neville Longbottom managed it anyway. Snape got it started for him and de-merited Gryffindor ten points.

The class settled into the usual movements and smells. Halfway through class they reached the intermediate phase of the potion when they added silverleaf to their caldrons. The liquid should be clear with only a minimal silver sheen coating the inside of the caldron. As Snape walked up and down the rows, he saw a variety of tints, but nothing was solidified. Even Longbottom's potion was only a little milky.

Hermione Granger's potion was perfect as usual. She was a girl far too smart for her own good and wasted his time by trying to draw his attention to it, but she did do her lessons properly. Snape scowled at the pinkish hue in Draco Malfoy's caldron. A little white, purple, blue or green, might have still left the potion potent enough to pass. But pink

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

o_O[face_whistling]

Ah, Snape and is potions classes. Loved reading this. Excellent portrayal of Snape, I loved how this was written from his POV. Different... perspective of Potions than we get in the books. :p

=D=

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    The sad reality of the future straggled into Snape's classroom soon after the bell ending the last class period. They all looked guilty.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] I could really get into this fandom if all the books were written this way. I could absolutely see Alan Rickman's stoneface while reading...even at the very end. :p

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome!! I love seeing the class from Snape's perspective :D

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I loved Snape's POV. Great story. :p :)

6. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I loved seeing Snape's POV, especially when he was looking at Harry. The cruel placement of Lily's eyes on James Potter's face always repelled him. Absolutely loved that line and the way it sums up Snape's feelings for young Potter. Awesome job!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

7. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    JadeSolo: Snape's POV is unusual since the HP books are almost entirely from Harry's POV. But I couldn't have written Snape without all the backstory that we got in the 7th book. It does give the story a different perspective. Thanks for reading!

NYCitygurl: Thank-you! :)

Sara_Kenobi: Thanks! :)

Darth_Leia_6669: I had strongly suspected, since the early books, that Snape had been in love with Lily. It seemed the only sensible reason why he hated Harry so much AND why Dumbledore still trusted him. I was glad to see my suspicious proved right in the 7th book. Thanks for reading!

8. Kriztin

Kriztin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2009
    Great story! I enjoyed Severus' POV...I love his dry wit, though I'd be terrified to have him for an instructor.

9. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Thank-you! I'm sure that one of Snape's pleasures in life is being a teacher that all the students are afraid of. He's an interesting POV to write from.

10. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    great little piece!

but what happens now? does snape get a new start in life? or does he make himself old again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.