main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter: The Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I like Gambon's Dumbledore. It's FAR superior to Harris' wheezing voice and phoned-in performance. I do wish Gambon's performances had a bit more in the way of warmth and childlike wonder, as seen in the books, but overall I buy him much better as the character.

I don't know why everyone has such a problem with his angry reaction to Harry's name in the cup. I think it's pretty clear that he's terrified for Harry. I think this film showed Dumbledore's paternal love for Harry far better than anything previous.

Dumbledore has dedicated himself in a very active and real way to protecting Harry as he grew up, but now Harry's gotten mixed up in the Tournament and there is NOTHING Dumbledore, in all his power, can do to help him. I think Gambon does a great job of getting across the helplessness that suddenly comes over the most powerful wizard in the world as he sends someone he's come to think of as a son to almost certain death.

I think this is my favorite of the Potter films thus far, with Azkaban a close second.

Oh, and Voldemort was AWESOME.

M. Scott

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Well I can see why they cut out the World Cup, all it would've done was show what a stud Krum was and that wasn't really necessary for how the film ended up.

The Quiddich scenes are usually low points to me (well other than the one where Dobby's bludger was chasing Harry, that was amusing w/ the added element of Malfoy to enhance the humor) in the films. They're entertaining, but they do waste story time.

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    More of the Quidditch World cup was filmed, I know this for a fact as my friend was an extra on the movie :)

4. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    PadmeLeiaJaina, How do they waste that much of the movies time? It adds to the flavour and character of Harry Potter.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The previous films the Quiddich matches were essential for storytelling purpose. I don't think it was necessary for GOF though.

HBP it'll be somewhat necessary to see Harry freaking out over his new captain responsibilities and his ever-increasing crush/feelings for Ginny.

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I thought the film was well done, considering it was based on such a large book. Much more than I expected it to be.

As for Dumbledore, I tend to think of him as a new version of the character and don't compare him to Harris' performance, because I feel it can't be done. The current actor for the role, I felt, I was very good in POA. However, in this film, he came across as dark and angry, in those scenes with the Goblet and the discovery of Harry's name.

It made me think of a former teacher I had in school. I felt very sorry for Harry in those scenes.

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I really loved those scenes where Harry's name came out of the goblet. Gambon had a flutter of confusion over his face and muttered Harry's name w/ disbelief, then he shouted out for him to come forward. He was rather stern w/ Harry, which in a lot of ways, I saw it as being that's how Harry envisioned Dumbledore was w/ him - ticked off and angry.

Then when they got downstairs, Gambon was very concerned and fatherly in his demanding to know what happened. I thought those scenes were awkward my first viewing, but second viewing I really liked how Gambon/Dumbledore reacted to Harry's name being pulled out.

8. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I thought the film was well made and got it just about right in terms of content, again though the same as everton Gambons performance as Dumbledore was the low point for me, it just does not match up to what we read and imagine him to be like.

Now Harris' performance were not at the heights that they could have been but I really do put that down to his illness, imo a fit and well harris was and would still be the perfect Dumbledore.

9. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    PLJ, you're right that it wasn't really essential, but if you read my post a little closer, you'll see that I wasn't pissed that they cut from the World Cup--it was how they did it. They show us this giant impressive stadium(That IMO rivals much of the wizardry seen in LotR or the SW prequels), with such an exciting setup and the promise of something truly amazing... only to end up back at the Weasley's tent postgame. It felt like a bit of a cheat.

(WARNING: MAJOR HALF-BLOOD PRINCE SPOILERS)

Originally, I didn't mind Gambon's less-than-pleasant portrayal of Dumbledore, but now that I think about it, it probably isn't a very wise move. If he continues down this road, there won't be much sympathy when he dies in the sixth movie.

10. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I thought goblet was fantastic. I am so pleasedthat daniel Radcliffe just seems to be getting better and better with each movie. Plus, you know, hotter :p

I can't wait for the next one!

11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005

It is true, what you're saying. Those things are not essential to the main story. But if you put out all of the detail, even Quiddich (wich is important in the books), that really not the Harry poter any more.

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    There's such a problem with his reaction because it is absolutely and completely out of character. The Dumbledore Rowling wrote would simply not reaction that way, he does not react in that way. He is calm, and cool, and takes Harry's word immediately. Never, ever, would he make physical contact with him. Showing Dumbledore's paternal love for Harry does not require aggression when concerned... it simply requires to put on screen what Rowling wrote. Nothing more.

Once again, I couldn't disagree more. What Gambon does may well communicate that, but it does not communicate it in a way Albus Dumbledore would choose to communicate it. That, to me, is utterly crucial. There was no need to change Dumbledore's character or reaction to Harry's name emerging from the Goblet of Fire.

Remember, darker books do not equal darker Dumbledore. Dumbeldore is sweet, calm, cool, touching, occasionally childlike, throughout the books. At no point is he violent. it's just not him.

EDIT: I'd just like to say I thought Frances de la Tour was pitch perfect as Madame Maxime. Just about as good a casting decision as could've been made.

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Could Dumbledore have been putting on an act then? I'm sure he's concerned for Harry, but perhaps it was an act in front of the other Headmasters. To let them know that this was not intentional and he, nor Harry, has no idea what is going on.

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Still doesn't match up with the book. I know I'm gonna get accused of being a 'purist' here, but I honestly don't see why there was any need to change Dumbledore's character, or indeed his reaction to the Goblet situation.

15. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't mind saying it, I'm a purist all the way. I love the books much better then the movies and I consider the movies to just be visual aids.

Every director is going to have their own interpretation and viewpoint of the current novel being portrayed. Does J.K. sit down with each director and discuss what each character needs to be represented as and what's important to show in the movie?

[b]EDIT[/b]: Did anyone see this yet? According to [link=http://www.mugglenet.com/][b][color=blue]MuggleNet.com[/color][/b][/link], these are the deleted scenes for the March release of the DVD:

<li> SCENE 1: Dumbledore asks his pupils to welcome Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students. All the Hogwarts students then start to sing the school song.

<li> SCENE 2: A Durmstrang student asks a girl to go with him to the Yule Ball. She says yes, and two of their friends make gestures in the background.

<li> SCENE 3: Harry tries to speak with Cho Chang, but as she is constantly surrounded by friends, he doesn't get the opportunity.

<li> SCENE 4: Flitwick introduces the Weird Sisters at the Yule Ball. The lead singer speaks with the audience and then starts the first song.

<li> SCENE 5: Karkaroff tells Snape about the mark of his arm. Snape ignores him and removes house points from Fawcet and Stebbins, who briefly appear in the scene. Snape doesn't care about what Karkaroff has to say.

<li> SCENE 6: Mr. Crouch and Harry are speaking. Mad-Eye appears and Barty quickly leaves.

<li> SCENE 7: The trio speak about the death of Mr. Crouch. Ron thinks that Fudge will prevent the story from leaking out to the public. Hermione believes his death, Harry's scar burning, and the Dark Mark at the Quidditch World Cup are related. She recommends Harry goes to visit Dumbledore.

<li> SCENE 8: The trio speak about what Karkaroff was showing Snape on his arm. Hermione asks Harry which potion ingredients Snape accused him of stealing and realizes they are the ingredients needed for the Polyjuice Potion.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No of course she doesn't. She can't. Directors have to be given slack to bring the book to the screen... but how did they manage to get past the fact that they are no putting the right Dumbledore on screen? I mean, seriously, Dumbledore is so utterly crucial. His attitude to Harry is so so so crucial in Book Six that to change the canon is to assault it IMO.

17. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I always assumed that J.K. at least led each of the directors in the right direction. Hmmm.

Anyways, I will always believe that Dumbledore's love for Harry was the cause for his moment of madness. He's terrified that Harry is in extreme danger. I know it's not how Dumbledore would normally act, but the times are getting darker. It isn't happy go-lucky, kid drama, Harry Potter anymore.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003

19. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I think we all can agree though that darker times brings out different personalities in people. For the films sake, Harry Potter #1 & #2 were just happy, sailing on a cloud, kinda movies. Now that we are approaching much darker territories, everyone is going to be more concerned, paranoid, jumpy, short tempered and basically on edge.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Okay, but this does not apply to Dumbledore. And as for 'the film's sake', I'd say it's a pretty poor director that can't communicate anxiety about what's to come and still remain faithful to the character Rowling wrote for the purposes of the story at hand, the same story the film makers are attempting to translate. One can change events if necessary, so long as the basic story remains intact... however IMO one cannot change the characters. They must remain sacresanct.

I mean, look at everyone else... Harry, Ron, Hermione's a good effort, Snape, McGonagall, Hargid, Voldemort, Lupin, Sirius... they're all taken right from Rowling's words. Why not teh Dumbly-dore?

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I've heard that Gambon hadn't read the books, but was asked by Rowling to. Harris did. For all of Harris' frailty, he still reminded me of the Dumbledore from the books. Gambon was too animted and dramatic to me. Dumbledore's charm is that he is understated.

22. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I was just as confused to see Dumbledore go a little mad as well. Since the films are totally separate from the books, I've learned to accept that there are going to be differences in plots ... and even in characters. Hagrid's hut apparently moved into a totally different location, for #3, then from where we've seen it in #1 and #2. You know what my explanation to myself was? "Oh, they just used magic to move it". :p

My point is things get iffy when it comes to Films and not everything is going to be right. So I just try to explain it, as best I can, to myself so that I have a better time accepting it. For Dumbledore, I just told myself that the stress of the situation got to him and he lost it for a second. I know that's not the true Dumbledore, but it's going to have to be for film's sake.

In the future, I do hope that they stay true to the characters.

23. FloppyMaN

FloppyMaN Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    This is my favorite HP movie so far. And it is one of my favorite books.

[-He who is not Floppy-]

24. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    From what I remember that sounds true, but then Harris never wanted the role either.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Let me just state once and for all, I'm not out to kill Quiddich - I guess I'm just rather like Hermione *Bleh - broomsticks and balls.* :p I do agree that Quiddich shows Harry's truest of talents and it's a character builder for him.

I still think you all need to watch GOF again and carefully watch Gambon, he is worried for Harry in the film. He also perfectly portrays Dumbledore's befuddlement over how the events are unfolding. Especially towards the later books, Dumbledore spends a lot of time cogitating stuff and thinking before Harry as he puzzles over the riddles that constantly surround Harry. I do hope that Gambon did read the books and knows what's in store for him so that he can bring even more of that paternal love out for Harry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.