main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter: The Last Horcrux? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I can't see Percy dying, as much as I wouldn't mind seeing him be sacrificed out of the Weasley clan, I think that JK will make whoever dies in the last book shocking and heart-breaking.

I think she's been completely mum over whether or not she'd going to kill Harry or not.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    That's an old rumor like Green-Flame Torch and Pyramids of Furmat. I'm telling you guys that the last horcrux will be in the title.

Plus if you look at it.

1. Sorcerer's Stone (thing)
    2. Chamber of Secrets (place)
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban (person)
    4. Goblet of Fire (thing)
    5. Order of the Phoenix (person)
    6. Half-Blood Prince (person)
    7. (thing or place)

3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I can't see Percy dying

Yeah, me neither. His actions were not very nice, but he deffinately doesn't deserve to die. other that that I don't see why would he die. He's not a very important character. He didn't even make it in the GoF movie...

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It's interesting, the lack of Percy in the last book and movie. It makes me think they aren't going to go anywhere else with his character.

I see this last one being about Harry/Snape/Voldermort (and Dumbledore if he's not dead [face_mischief])

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i just hope the actual title of the final book isn't The Last Horocrux

6. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Just to confirm, the title has not yet been announced, and it basically states in the prophecy that Harry is the only one to kill Voldemort as he has the power to vanquish the dark lord, and neither can live while the other survives.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003

Oh no! There's was enough of this when people were trying to figure out the name of Episode III. :p I don't think there's any relevance.

8. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2005
    Fawkes or Harry.

9. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    not sure this belongs here (and i'm not an avid potter reader). any clues as to how the prophecy will play out without having harry die?

10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Naven't got a clue. But there always is a chance that neville is teh Chosen One. Well, Harry is the Chosen One becouse Voldemort has chosen him, but there still is a possibility...

11. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I think that the last Horcrux is the Mirror of Erised. That would bring the whole series around nicely, wouldn't it? Harry defeating Voldemort at exactly the same spot he defeated him at in the first book. Go back and read the original discription of the mirror. It certainly is ornate and magical enough to be a possesion of a Rowena Ravenclaw, one of Hogwarts Founders. Plus, the whole thing stood on two clawed feet, resembling a raven's claw, perhaps?

12. Sith_Priestess

Sith_Priestess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    That's really interesting, Zebra, I had never thought of that. *goes back to read the passage*

I don't know what the last horcrux is, but I do know that I think Harry haas to die. People will clamor for more books if Harry lives and I think JKR is ready to be rid of him.

As far as other deaths go, I think it has to be Ron. I love Ron so much, but he has never really done a huge amount, but is important enough to shake a lot of people and the affect it would have on both Harry and Hermione would make it a pivotal plot moment. I think Lupin and maybe even Hagrid, as the last of Harry's protectors are going to die too so that Harry faces Voldemort alone.

13. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Woohoo, I am completely friggin blind.

You may spank me for my complete idiocy.

14. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    After reading HP and the Half-Blood Prince, I was convinced Harry was a holocrux. Now, the idea that the Mirror Erised is one makes me reconsider Harry being it. And also the fact the Dumbledore had a lot to do with the mirror convinces me even more.

15. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    nah, i s'pose it's just a red herring. harry is the chosen one. what interests me is that if the prophrecy says they either both live or both die and i don't want harry dead... what will happen?

16. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    PadmeLeiaJaina, I was aware that JKR had quashed the Ginny-is-a-horcrux rumour, but where did she quash the Harry one? Could you get us the exact wording, please, as we all know that JKR is a master of double-meanings and red herrings.

Personally, unless JKR has quashed the rumour I'm inclined to think that Harry is indeed a Horcrux. It makes so much sense. Similarly, this doesn't necessarily mean that Harry will die, or has to die before killing Voldemort.

1. The peices of soul do not have to be destroyed in order. If Harry kills the Voldemort bit, and destroys all others, he may wait until the end to destroy himself.

2. The Gaunt ring was still intact after having the soul removed, as Dumbledore was wearing it after he blackened his hand. Again, the Riddle diary was also not completely destroyed. Does it then follow that Harry can have the Horcrux destroyed and not himself in the process?

Bearing in mind that the last word of the last book is so far confirmed to be "scar". We also know that this is in a chapter detailing "what happens to the survivors". This implies that Harry is alive, and it also implies that his scar has something important to do with the end. Could it possibly be a sentence like this, signaling that the Horcrux was a physical mark of the Horcrux?

"Harry gazed happily at his reflection in the mirror. His eyes were drawn to where he was once marked by Voldemort as his equal, at the empty space where there once was a lightning-shaped scar."

EDIT: I found this interesting quote at Madame Scoops: "I wanted him to be physically marked by what he has been through. It was an outward expression of what he has been through inside. I gave him a scar and in a prominent place so other people would recognize him. It is almost like being the chosen one, or the cursed one, in a sense. Someone tried to kill him; that's how he got it. I chose the lightning bolt because it was the most plausible shape for a distinctive scar. As you know, the scar has certain powers, and it gives Harry warnings. I can't say more than that, but there is more to say."

17. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    now i have no idea what a horcruz is and all but it looks like a possible solution to me that he destroys a part of himself rather than dies just like that.

18. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Boogie-- That quote is from an interview that Rowling did with MuggleNet and The Leaky Cauldron not long after book six was released.

For anyone who's interested, it can be found Right Here. Obviously she doesn't give away any spoilers, but she does drop hints in more than one one spot about important things to keep in mind or to look for in book 7.

I also think Dumbledore is dead.

19. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Zebra, as far as I can see Rowling only denies Ginny being possessed in that interview.

20. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    She also says she wonders now if the last word of book seven will be scar.

21. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Actually a while back she admitted that it wasn't out of the question that there'd be more HP books post-Hogwarts... though now she says she's pretty sure it will be the last. I wonder if she's truly made up her mind.

22. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    IMO it's quite likely that Harry is a horcrux and in accordance with the prophecy he'll die in his battle with Voledemort but somehow "come back" shortly afterwards through the spirits of his parents blah blah...if Harry is dead when Voldemort is killed (probably by Snape in a classic Vader "breaking free" moment), it makes Voldemort's death final.

Harry dies, Voldemorts last horcrux/spirit piece destroyed.
    Voldemort mortal again, dies, Snape probably dies with him as fallen "Boromir" type of hero.
    Harry revived, now a Dark Lord-free zone.
    All dance.

Edit: And imo there's much more stock in the Harry Potter world than just Harry's story itself. I can imagine an endless stream of EU-style spin-off's focusing on the adventures of various teachers, Death Eaters, adventurers etc. I think that'd be quite cool.

23. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Ah, yes, Zebra. I thought you were talking about Rowling denying Potter being a Horcrux. Sorry about the confusion. :)

DA - (haha, geddit? I just said DA! . . . uhhh, yeah, sorry, don't mind me) I don't think Snape can kill Voldemort. Doesn't it explicitly say in the prophesy that Harry has to kill him? Sure, he'll be involved somehow, but he can't deliver the final blow.

24. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Isn't the prohecy something like "...the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives."

So if Voldemort kills Harry then the prophecy is still fulfilled, athough he's stitching his own demise.
    I think that if they both die then Harry will be the one who lives.

25. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    This is what it says

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.