main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter: The Last Horcrux? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i finished at 348am this morning. all i can say is WOW.

as for the harry is the devil thing and kids not able to understand violence...

uh, correct me if i am wrong but the whole concept of christianity is based on death. and a few other things but it starts with death. without it, there is no life. it just makes me crazy when people say that kids cannot handle it. they know what death is. we dont give kids enough credit.

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Final moment in the duel between Harry and Voldemort. The elder wand backfires, flies up and both are trying to reach it

3. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    oh right, yeah that makes sense. um lookin at the background i wouldn't of immediately thought it was hogwarts but who oh well! im british so my cover was pretty easy to recognise.
    -doodie

4. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    The cover scene does not occur in the book.

5. Eme-ma_Himou

Eme-ma_Himou Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2004
    Yeah, reread the last scene, and you'll see that the ceiling turns a golden color.

6. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    It does. Darth_Omega is correct, though the scene is not immediately recognizable.

-Paul

7. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Finished couple hours ago. I really liked Harry going to his death in the forest and the aftermath - completely satisfied with how that was handled and fit together (except I'm not clear on what saved Harry - was it the Hallows or the blood connection??)

Devastated about Tonks and Lupin - I spent the entire book praying they would make it out - all through the book, when someone else died a part of me was happy because it was someone else and not them, as if they were spared each time. How sick is that? But I was glad that they got to have some happiness together - that was my reason for wanting them to live going into this book.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    And it was cute that Harry got Teddy [face_love]

9. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I just finished DH at 11 today and I TOTALLY loved it. What an absolute fitting end to Harry Potter. I was very upset that Lupin, Tonks, and Fred died, but for some reason it didn't shock me as much as I thought it would. That Tonks and Lupin got married and had a son made me extremely happy.

I loved everything about this book, all the action as well as the answers to questions we've had since book 1. I personally loved learning all we did about Lily Potter and it was so cool that she and Snape were friends from the beginning.

See Voldemort finally kick the bucket, and Mrs. Weasley attacking Bellatrix was brilliant. And I also loved that Sirius, Lupin, James and Lily were able to talk to Harry before he sacrificed himself. The epilogue was wonderful, and such a great ending to such a phenominal series.

10. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I'm only on chapter 9

11. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
  12. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    QFT

13. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Was anyone else disturbed by Hermione's torture scene? That was horendous, especially Ron's screaming.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Exactly. And the cover is brilliant, really -- it shows precisely the moment when Harry has defeated Tom (loved how Harry called him that -- except that until you read the book, and know that it's the wand that Harry is reaching for and Voldemort has lost, can you tell. So infinitely better than the pathetic depiction of the LeStrange vault on the UK cover.

15. shiningstars

shiningstars Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2002
    I always thought the American covers were superior to the Britsh ones but at east my british copy is written entirely by Jo with no changes the US editions have :p

I am blacking out everything!

I finished it more than 15 hours ago and it was great. I loved every bit of it!
    Lets see...I was right about R.A.B, Snape, Harry being the 7th horcrux, Lily and Snape...All the fans pretty much got it right?

I wished Fred, Lupin, Tonks would have survived :( But I assumed she would split up the twins and Lupin and Tonks were dead right after Lupin made Harry godfather.
    I thought Hedwig would die :( but I also thought Harry would get Fawkes! Where did he go? I loved Harry giving Dobby a respectful burial.

I knew the Doe was Snape's patronus! The Prince's tale was such a great chapter. I didn't expect Snape to die that soon. I always imagined Snape telling Harry everything personally or at least Harry talking to Snape after he knew everything. I thought they would be on friendly terms after Harry knew about Snape and that Snape would live. But it makes him such a tragic character now.

I loved the end Hogwarts at war! Percy's return! Kreacher leading the house-elfs! Teachers putting enchantments...Everyone dueling for Harry It was great! Mrs. Weasley killing Bellatrix was so perfect!

Harry was the best! Dumbledore telling him Harry is better than him was wonderful. Harry going to his death was beautifully done. The whole chapter was so sad and then when he uses the stone to call his family to help him go to Voldemort... I knew Harry would survive somehow and only his Horcrux part would die somehow. I am not sure what saved Harry the Hallows (since the wand was his even though Voldemort had it) or Lily's blood? I think it was Lily's blood...didn't Dumbledore say so?

But I think she left many lose ends which hopefully will get answered through interviews, chats and her website. I loved the epilogue and little Albus Severus's first year at Hogwarts depature scene! He felt so much like Harry and little James was like James and little Lily reminded me of Ginny.

I am going to re-read it after my sister is done! I can't believe it has all come to an end *sigh* I shall re-read the series after I re-read the 7th book again!

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Speaking of covers, what the heck was the deal wit the castle on the back of the UK ed? I guess it was Hogwarts, but why is it white? Am I missing something?

17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I like all UK kid covers, except book 7 if I weren't a completest I would have gotten the adult version :p Anyway I think Hogwarts is white because of the moon shining so brightly.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    So I guess it's just a "general" depiction of Hogwarts, and not meant to show it on the night of the battle -- if the moon is full, Lupin should either be turning into a werewolf or be practically incapacitated from drinking the potion.

19. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It was not Lily's blood that saved Harry. Tom didn't take Lily's blood; he took Harry's. No, the reason Harry was able to return was because Tom took his blood and therefore the protection Lily gave to Harry continued so long as Tom was alive. That meant Harry could not die while Tom survived. This was the great miscalculation by Tom and the reason Dumbledore gets a twinkle of triumph in his eye at the end of GoF. All Tom did was destroy the part of his soul that was inside of Harry. Harry could then come back to life because his mother's sacrifice persevered through Tom.

20. shiningstars

shiningstars Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2002
    I meant Harry's Lily protected blood when I said Lily's blood :p

And the UK back cover had me wondering for a while so it's definitely nothing?
    I like the other UK covers too and I love OotP's cover but the US covers are so much more detailed

21. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Ah I'm half way though the book and my wife won't let me continue reading it until she's caught up/passed me. So far I think it's the best book yet but hate the fact she keeps bring more and more questions without answering any of the old ones. I mean she has answered a few but she's bringing in more then she's answering.

22. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I rank the series this way:

Half-Blood Prince

Deathly Hallows

Goblet of Fire

Order of the Phoenix

Prisoner of Azkaban

Philosopher's Stone

Chamber of Secrets

23. Eme-ma_Himou

Eme-ma_Himou Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2004
    Half-blood Prince*
    Deathly Hallows*
    Prisoner of Azkaban*
    Order of the Phoenix
    Goblet of Fire
    Sorcerer's Stone
    Chamber of Secrets

*Could be a toss-up: I consider all three to be my favorite.

24. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I don't know what it was about Chamber that puts it at the bottom of almost every list I see. It's not a bad novel by any means, either.

I'll say this though, I thoroughly enjoyed Deathly Hallows. It's not a perfect book but it's darn close.

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Half-Blood Prince
    Deathly Hallows
    Chamber of Secrets
    Goblet of Fire
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Sorcerer's Stone
    Order of the Phoenix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.