main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter: The Last Horcrux? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Let's put it this way -- Harry was at least going to to get some bare boobage.:p

Voldemort doesn't just disarm Snape because the thought of doing something so limited would never occur to him. For him, defeat means kill. Plain and simple. The extent to which he fails to realize this becomes obvious once you realize that Draco was the master of the wand, not Snape. The thought never occurred to him. Remember, he is fascinated/mortified by death.

As for Snape the hero -- the redeemed hero. He never truly loved Lily until he lost her to death.

As for Ron and the Parseltoungue, IIRC, the command is only one word: open. I could teach you to say that word in German or French (Öffnen/Ouvrir) and you could say each perfectly. Granted, Ron speaking the paseltoungue command is a bit more of a stretch, since he had to remember something Harry said 5 years ago.

As for evaluating/ranking the book, I think people are giving their first impressions. I considered changing my Amph favorite books list to include it, but decided against because I think I need more time to fully digest the book.

2. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I suppose so...but still, if he thought defeat meant kill, he must have wondered why Grindelwald could still be alive when Dumbledore had become the Wand's Master? I know he wasn't exactly desperate to find a way to spare Snape- but he did seem to value him a lot higher than the other Death Eaters...anyway, it doesn't really matter.

On another subject entirely, I've just been looking back at some of the earlier books...it's just very cool. Now that I know what's going to happen in the end...I think it's time for a complete series re-read.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Not quite. He heard Harry say it to open the locket, so it was only a few months ago. Still a bit stupid IMHO.

4. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Hey, what can you say. Harry and Voldemort aren't exactly perfect.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I guess the one problem I can see with that is that it was implied that the ability to speak parseltoungue is a power, not just a skill anyone could learn. Still, all in all I didn't mind it, Harry had enough to do without having to run down into the chamber as well. And the "where are Ron and Hermione" tension was good.

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I wonder if Snape was awarded with a Headmaster portrait?

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just to let everyone know, JK Rowling will be appearing on the Today Show on Thursday and Friday this week.

Here's an article on it:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

It has some spoilers, and we learn that the person who got the reprieve was: Arthur Weasley.

Oh, and one of the possible other titles for Book 7 considered by JK Rowling was:
    Harry Potter and the Elder Wand

And there's a webchat to ask her questions on Monday.

8. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    If you notice in the other books Hermione can replay any conversation she has heard.

9. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    You know the farther I get in the book the less it seems JK really cared about the book it just seemed she wanted to be done with it. Most of the death scenes where poorly written in my opion. Also she just seemed to rush everything.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, I think she was just trying to create an atmosphere of death and danger, which I think she succeeded in doing. I think she said in one of her quotes around the time GOF came out that she wanted to show how evil treats life worthlessly and kills needlessly, or something close to that.

Found it: ( http://www.accio-quote.org/themes/death.htm )

JKR on Voldemort and Cedric's death: "We really are talking about someone who is incredibly power hungry. Racist, really. And what do those kinds of people do? They treat human life so lightly. I wanted to be accurate in that sense. My editor was shocked by the way the character was killed, which was very dismissive. That was entirely deliberate." TIME Magazine, 2000.

JKR: "If you are writing about evil, which I am, and if you are writing about someone who?s, essentially, a psychopath ? you have a duty to show the real evil of taking human life." Harry Potter and Me, 2001

"I think what I was trying to do with the death in this book [OotP] was show how very arbitrary and sudden death is. This is a death where you didn't have a big death bed scene. It happened almost accidentally and that is one of the very cruel things about death and they're now in a war situation where that really does happen, where one minute you're talking to your friend and the next minute he's gone. It's so shocking and so inexplicable? "Where did they go?" I found it upsetting to write, because I knew what it would mean to Harry." Royal Albert Hall, 2003

11. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    What was the point of Ron and Hermione going into the chamber of secrets anyway? They didn't exactly use the fangs after all, did they?

Spoilers should be highlight to read.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

They used it to destroy the cup. And would have for the diadem, if Crabbe didn't start that Fiedfyre curse.

And don't go repeating other peoples mistakes!

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    About disarming.....in both cases, Draco taking the wand from Dumbledore and Harry taking the wand from Draco, they were both fighting each other. I think that this is going to strongly motivate Harry to not fight anyone for any reason. He is going to be very determined to live an ordinary life (for a wizard I mean). I suppose that it's possible that future bad guys will come after him and I hope that future heroes will fend them off. Harry's whole mission now is to die of old age and I hope he makes is.

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm more interested in how they got OUT of the Chamber, as when Harry, Lockhart, Ron and Ginny got out of there in COS Fawkes had to fly them out as it's a sliding tunnel.
    BTW, was that Fawkes who gave Neville the sorting hat at the end?

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Sorry, Raven, I keep forgetting! Anyways...

It's Voldemort who summons the Sorting Hat, and puts it on Neville to make an example for refusing to surrender, and sets it on fire, saying from that day forth all will be in Slytherin. But the fire doesn't work, like most of Voldemort's spells because of Harry's protection and the allegiance of the Elder Wand.

Does anyone else found it very... ODD... that Bellatrix is NEVER with her husband??? What exactly was going on between her and Voldemort, with all that "Bella" and "My lord!" stuff? [face_sick]

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Like I said in the earlier thread, I have long held the suspicion that they were lovers. I posted a question on that Bloomsbury chat to JK if there was anything else between them.

BTW, Bloombsbury is hosting a JK Rowling live chat

http://livechat.bloomsbury.com/index.php

2:00 - 3:00PM BST on Monday, July 30th. For Americans planning on tuning in, that's 9am EST, 8am CST, 7am MST, and 6am PST.

For Aussies, that'll be about midnight.

17. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    That's one thing that I didn't catch entirely the first time, as I was sleep deprived and sort of rushing the entire last chapter. Initially, I was kinda bummed that there was no big badass battle of all time between Harry and Voldemort, but each time I read it, the more perfect it is. It's just like how it all started, but on a larger scale. Lily gave her life for Harry, thus giving him the ultimate protection and causing Voldemort's killing curse to rebound. Now, Harry gave his life for everyone in the wizarding world, so Voldemort can no longer harm anyone, and once again, his killing curse rebounds. And hey, Expelliarmus did become his signature move, and all his "it's saved me from Voldemort before" talk became gospel, as it ended up being what defeated him. I feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it all :p

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    KG, I agree. I kinda got that from it.

19. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    I agree with that. I like the fact that Rowling never states it outright, but rather alludes to it. Makes it more powerful that way.

Curious: I read somewhere once that Rowling had hinted that in the last book there would be a character who sprouted an ability to do magic late in life, although it wouldn't be Petunia Dursley. I had assumed that this would herald a reappearance of Arabella Figg or some new powers in Argus Filch, but don't remember reading anything about that in Deathly Hallows. Also, I thought that we were going to learn something about what the Potters did for a living. Did anyone see those hints or know anything about why we don't see any of that?

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yeah, I wondered what happened to that as well.

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Didn't see anything. Though I thought that Petunia wanting to do magic so badly and being jealous of Lily was sad :(

22. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Yeah, amazing how two characters we hated for so long - Petunia and Snape - ended up having tragic stories regarding Lily, and we really came out feeling quite sorry for the both of them. I choked up a bit when Harry was telling his son that Severus Snape was one of the bravest men he knew.

23. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I don't know why anyone would hate Snape. :p

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Snape isn't hated, he's the guy you love to hate. And Harry hated Snape, remember?

25. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Yep. I'm so glad he named his son after him. What's his son's name? Oh yeah, 'Albus Severus'. It has a pretty good ring to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.