main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter: The Last Horcrux? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Harry, it seems, is the head of the auror department and Ron his highly placed there as well. Hermione is an upper level officer in the dept. of magical law enforcement as well. They seem to have revolutionized the world they live in and the ministry is a much better place to be than before. Interesting stuff spilled by Jo on TODAY

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Here it is.

^^ Spoilers galore there, btw! :)

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

I liked what she had to say about Luna :)

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmmm, well without saying anything about the content, I must say Rowling's projections on the characters are quite, quite different from my speculations. [face_thinking]

Yeah, she knows us. [face_mischief]

Has anyone else been looking back at the earlier books to catch the details that show up there? Some things look different in them now after Book 7.

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

Can someone please explain to me how Draco was the true master of the Eldar Wand? I really can't remember him taking Dumbledore's wand from his dead body. :confused:

5. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Not quite sure why your highlighting isn't working there, but Draco was the one that disarmed Dumbledore, depriving him of a means to defend himself, thus he was the one to technically defeat him, not Snape. At least that's kinda how I figured it. Then again, Dumbledore triggered his own death the year before, so I dunno, maybe a good question for Rowling ;)

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    When Harry and Dumbledore were on the top of the Lightning Struck Tower, Dumbledore heard Draco coming up the stairs and immobilized him. Once Draco burst through the door, he yelled, "Expelliarmus!" and Dumbledore's wand flew out of his hand and tumbled off the tower. Thus Draco disarmed the last master of the Elder Wand. Harry knew of course, having seen the whole thing under the Invisibility Cloak.

What I didn't get was how the Elder Wand knew that Harry had disarmed its last master. The whole issue of Voldemort pointing his wand at Harry and saying "Avada Kedavra" twice kinda got me. So, did Harry NOT die the first time around because the Elder Wand wouldn't kill its master even as it destroyed the part of Voldemort's soul inside Harry (in which case, how did the Elder Wand know that Harry was really its master) or did Harry actually "die" the first time around but was allowed a reprieve because his "death" was a self-sacrifice? In which case, the Elder Wand must have "heard" Harry's discussion with Voldemort in which Harry stated that he had disarmed Draco, i.e. the Elder Wand's last master. Still confused on that point.

7. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Roo, I think it has more to do with the fact that Voldemort had Harry's blood, so that's why harry could come back as Dumbledore explained.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Harry was saved the first time because of Lily's blood protection of Harry living on in Voldemort.

The Elder Wand did not know Harry was its master until he was duelling Voldemort with Draco's wand, and revealed he had disarmed Draco, and then claimed ownership of the Elder Wand. Wands are described to be quasi-sentient.

That's how I understood it, anyways.

9. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Thanks for the explanation, guys. Now here's another one:

Why doesn't Harry have two scars at the end?

10. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Good question. But isn't it the spells that rebound? Harry got the scar when the Avada Kedavra rebounded off him. I haven't re-read the book, my sister has it, but IIRC it's the spells that rebound off each other.

Haven't seen you in a little while, leia_naberrie. I'm not sure if you're interested, but I started the sequel series to my fic and the links in my sig.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Exactly. Also If Draco hadn't disarmed DD, Snape would not have become the master anyway, because the death was pre-arranged. At least that's what Harry says in the final duel. DD's plan was to die without being defeated, so that the wand would have no master and lose its power. Actually worked out even better with Draco having disarmed him, as it helped Harry.

12. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    The Avada Kedavra at the end rebounded, but the one in the forest that killed the horcrux in Harry actually hit him. I was wondering about a scar myself. For all we know, maybe he does have a second scar -- the spell hit him in the chest, so it wouldn't be obvious like the one on his forehead.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    When he got hit in the chest, the spell didn't rebound, he took it in. He only survived because Lily's protection lived on in Voldemort.

The next time, when they were duelling with the Elder Wand, the AK didn't rebound off Harry, but off of Harry's Expelliarmus spell, never touching him.

So I don't think there would be any need for another scar.

14. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    I thought that scar was the scar of the Death Spell and that Harry was extraordinary because he was the only living person who had it. I think it's probably more likely that there's another scar but in a less visible place than his forehead.

Hi back Katana_Geldar! Thanks for the tip!

15. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Hey everyone not sure if you would be instreasted but Leahair has restarted the HP rpg to go off of the books ending so if you want to join we are still accepting.

As for Snape all I can really say is that was not how I thought he would go I really believed he would have at lest fought back. Yet maybe he knew Harry was there It was really instreasting to say the lest.

16. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    If there is a scar on his chest, he could hide it with that Hungarian Horntail tattoo ...

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought it was a pygmy puff tattoo... [face_laugh]

Everyone remember, that hour-long interview with JKR on Dateline is tonight!

And tomorrow is the web chat!

What do you think happened to all the Dementors after Voldemort died? And what exactly does happen person after a Dementor's Kiss? (Does the person still go on living, like an Inferi almost? Is that soul destroyed forever, or is it released when the Dementor dies? Can a Dementor even die?)

18. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    I'm in the web chat (or what seems to be that...) now, and apparently 'you can't destroy a Dementor' (her own words paraphrased). They're also soulless.

Don't know the answer to the post-Kiss question though.

--HW

19. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Hi all. Just wanted to share some thoughts about this last installment.

1) A great conclusion to this series. I want to make that clear.
    Favorite Moments:

AWESOME use of my favorite magical plot device THE PENSIEVE! That was freaking sweet for Snape to give harry the memories. Gives real meaning to the song "Memeories, like that corner of my mind...."
    McGonicles(sp) appearance on page 591. IT's about time she got there!
    The Kings Cross Chapter with Dumbledore. Though I don't see how they could have ended up together. With Dumbledore 'being there'. Unless Harry died for a short time and then came back. Nice to see that Micheal Gambon will have a cameo in HP:TDH the movie.
    Severus Snape's good deed. He really turned out to be a brave Wizard.
    Molly Weasley gets all Sigorney Weaver on Lestrange. (thanks to Entertainment weekly for putting into words what I could not.) Another scene I cannot wait to see in the movie version.
    THose are my favorite moments...
    I suspect that with the HUGE amount of extranious details. TDH will make an awesome tight movie. This was by far the most visual of the books. At least in the sense that I can see it, for the most part, on the big screen. Especially some nice "Great Hall" fly overs.
    Here are my critiques:
    Hermione nor Ron, or for that matter, Hagrid getting killed off. Sentimental as I am. And I loved all the charactors. One or both should have died.

Harry, by the very nature of the prophecy, has to live. We know that. But it is my belief that Rowling kind of chickened out by having the top three survive. Harry married Ginny. And Ron married Hermione. It sets up Hogwarts-The Next Generation(i thought that one up before I read Entertainment Weekly) Most of all I will miss Tonks and Lupin. Tonks quickly became a favorite of mine. And on that note my one final complaint. Why did Moody, Tonks, and Lupin just turn up dead with no death scene? That was sad. Having Fred Weasly die was a nice dramatic flourish on Rowlings part.
    -Let me just say this. With the exception of Harry, Ron, and Hermione all living. It was a great and over all perfect end to the saga of Harry Potter.

20. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    kinda funny, mugglenet's book had Dobby dying as 100-1 and Fred as 50-1

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I was reading that there will be two major deaths in the last book, but it turned out to be more. Mad-Eye, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, even Hedwing... Still, I am really surprised that Rowling didn't kill one of the big three. I was expecting that either Ron or Hermione will go, if Harry is not killed himself.

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    My mom said that the news was saying that there would be three minor deaths and one major one. Turned out there were more than three minor ones, and no major one.

I thought that if one of the three got killed off, it would be Ron or Harry. I didn't think she'd kill off Hermione.

23. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Well, I think Lupin, Fred and Snape count as major deaths... [face_thinking]

By the way, has anyone seen the latest interview? I love what she had to say about Lily/Snape.

Jaclyn: Did lily ever have feelings back for snape

J.K. Rowling: Yes. She might even have grown to love him romantically (she certainly loved him as a friend) if he had not loved Dark Magic so much, and been drawn to such loathesome people and acts.

More Snape/Lily-relevant quotes:

Nithya: Lily detested mulciber,averyif snape really loved her,why didnt he sacrifice their company for her sake

J.K. Rowling: Well, that is Snape?s tragedy. Given his time over again he would not have become a Death Eater, but like many insecure, vulnerable people (like Wormtail) he craved membership of something big and powerful, something impressive. He wanted Lily and he wanted Mulciber too.

and:

Rachel Nell: Jkr, thank you for such amazing books! I would like to know how come noone seemed to know that lily and snape were friends in school they were obviously meeting for chats, etc didnt james know their past

J.K. Rowling: Thank you for your thank you! Yes, it was known that they were friendly and then stopped being friends. Nothing more than that would be widely known. James always suspected Snape harboured deeper feelings for Lily, which was a factor in James? behaviour to Snape.

Chat transcript is here.

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry, by "major" I meant Ron, Harry, and Hermione; "minor" is everyone else :p

25. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Strange thought: Snape might not be dead.

Crazy, I know. After all, there was a body. But consider: Snape is one of the greatest potion brewers alive. With a combination of a Draught of Living Death, Felix Felicis, and a suitable antidote, Snape might have survived. Essentially, Snape might have realized that the end was nigh, and so decided not to take chances. He would have first used a Felix Felicis. Then, Felix would lead him to bring a suitable antidote, and drink a Draught of Living Death, brewed to take effect after some time, rather than immediately. And so, when he died, it was the Draught just taking effect. And once everyone was gone, he could have left.

The only reason it occured to me was that I was wondering why his portrait wasn't on the wall in the Headmasters office. Of course it wouldn't appear, if he was alive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.