Amph Harry Potter: The Last Horcrux? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Very interesting thought. [face_thinking] But I'm not sure if we'll ever find that out for sure. I mean, this was the final book.
    On the second thought, there is Harry's son; Albus Severus Potter. All of Harry's children are named after dead people.
  2. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    There's no portrait on the wall because he abandon his headmaster post before he died and therefore doesn't deserve a painting :p
  3. darth_paul Force Ghost

star 5
    Not to mention Voldemort! It hardly gets more major than that.

-Paul
  4. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I was about to throw the book into the lake after Snape's death, i thought it was a horrible way to go and wanted an explanation. But the book saved itself with the next chapter.
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I meant the main three!!!

And Voldemort's the bad guy, which makes him outside of the major vs. minor consideration :p
  6. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I would count Lupin and Snape as the major deaths, with Dobby and the others being minor ones.
  7. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    So which death SURPRISED everyone the most?

For me, the most surprising death was actually Hedwig. How could she kill the poor bird, and so soon?!? :_| And Tonks's death was a big surprise to me too.
  8. rebel_cheese Force Ghost

star 4
    I had not expected Fred. After George getting injured I thought Fred was safe.
  9. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Dobby and Fred were the biggest surprises for me.
  10. shiningstars Force Ghost

star 2

According to Jo (from the recent chat), he did get a portrait eventually because of Harry.

Laura Trego: Was the absence of snapes portrait in the headmasters office in the last scene innocent or deliberate
    J.K. Rowling: It was deliberate. Snape had effectively abandoned his post before dying, so he had not merited inclusion in these august circles.
    J.K. Rowling: However, I like to think that Harry would be instrumental in ensuring that Snape's portrait would appear there in due course.

I always knew one of the twins would die so although I hated it, Fred's death came as no surprise to me. Ditto with Hedwig; only I thought Harry would own Fawkes :p

This is what Jo said about Hedwig's death...

Twinkletoes: Why did you feel that hedwigs death was necessary
    J.K. Rowling: The loss of Hedwig represented a loss of innocence and security. She has been almost like a cuddly toy to Harry at times. Voldemort killing her marked the end of childhood. I'm sorry... I know that death upset a LOT of people!

I thought Lupin would survive; so his and Tonks's deaths were surprising. I also didn't expect Dobby to die. That was really sudden. I also thought Snape would live or at least get a chance to talk to Harry (the "Take this" and "Look at me" don't count!)

The chat got a few interesting questions answered, if someone wants to have a look...
  11. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Hedwig surprised me and so, I think, did Dobby. Mad-Eye was a bit of a surprise as well since it happened so quickly and at the beginning. Fred was a surprise as well.

IMO, Lupin and Tonks were goners the moment Harry became Teddy's godfather.

I thought that Snape might die, but, like others, I figured that he would get a chance to talk to Harry.

And since POA I've been waiting for Wormtail's heroic moment of saving Harry. That it was an accident after which he quickly died was a bit of a downer.
  12. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah, I definitely thought Dementors, Werewolves, Lupin, and Wormtail would play a bigger role in the last book. And maybe a reappearance of the Time-Turner. Now it seems PoA really didn't do much to the larger series, except Wormtail going to find Voldemort, and Harry learning about Sirius. It almost seems as if it would be better now if Harry did let Wormtail be killed by Sirius and Lupin.

And DH question:
    -Did having his blood in Voldemort's new body make Harry completely invulnerable to death (kind of like a horcrux, without the murder and splitting souls part),
    OR
    did it just mean Voldemort couldn't kill him, but other people and things still could have,
    OR
    that protecting only worked once, only letting Voldemort's horcrux be destroyed, but next time there would be nothing to stop an AK from Voldemort from killing Harry???
  13. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought that since the books have made such a big deal about how Dementors can suck out your soul that they'd have a role in destroying the Horcruxes. Oh well.
  14. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Or turn on Voldemort, sucking out the rest of his soul. Wormtail and the Dementors really do seem to be one giant elaborate red herring set up by Jo!
  15. Havoc_Wing Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, well, they can't really suck a soul out of an inanimate object, can't they?

--HW
  16. darth_paul Force Ghost

star 5
    We don't have any idea, do we? As far as I know, nothing of the like ever came up. I don't see anything inherently meaning that they couldn't...

-Paul
  17. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought the giants as well as Greyback would have a bigger role in it. I also thought Grawp would be in it more too.

I liked the book but the epilogue left much to be desired. I also wondered if Voldermorts name was taboo then why did everyone in Grimauld place was able to mention it. The ministry was able to break in to enchanments in homes so why not Grimauld place. It justs seemed to open up more questions and not answer all of the other ones unless i missed it. Im rereading again to make sure.
  18. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Fidelius Charm wasn't done by the ministry.
  19. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    Thats right i forgot about that. :oops:
  20. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

Yes, but what about the charms that Hermione put around the tent when they were out camping? Those weren't done by the ministry but they were destroyed the minute Harry (idiot!!) said "Voldemort". I don't understand why a severely weakened Fidelius Charm could stand up to the name jinx in that case.
  21. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Hermione didn't do any complex charms but simple anti-muggle, disillusion charms and that muffliato spell. Anti-muggle charms doesn't work versus wizards, muffliato although great, doesn't make a tent invisible. And the disillusion charm: either the snatchers apparated within the charm range or the 'saying-Voldemort-jinx' breaks the disillusion charms (both are likely).

Fidelius charm on the other hand makes a house completely invisible unless you've been told by the secret keeper of its location.
  22. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Maybe I'm incredibly dense not to have figured it out, but that baby at King's Cross was baby Tom Riddle, right?
  23. Havoc_Wing Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wrong.

It was the piece of Voldemort's soul within Harry.

--HW
  24. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Aaaaahhhhh. Didn't get that at all.
  25. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    The charm wasn't put into place until after Voldemort had taken over the Ministry and Harry went on the run.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.