main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter: The Last Horcrux? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He was in love with Grindelwald! :eek:

2. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Dumbledore being in love with Gridelwald adds an additional level of pain for him when Ariana is killed.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Anyone have a link to an article or videoclip?

And I agree, it does.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/ap_en_ot/books_harry_potter

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/10/20/harry.potter.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

It's also the headline on all the major Harry Potter fansites.

Dumbledore being so secretive, how he always tried to help social outcasts and speaking out against prejudice, why he at first went along with Grindelwald and then avoided confronting him until he couldn't anymore, believing in the redemptive power of love, being called the champion of commoners and mudbloods and a fool of love by his enemies, saying what's important isn't what we're born but who we grow to become, being such a snazzy dresser, it all makes sense now!

And remember this passage from his obituary, which I saw someone post on hpana:
    "I met Albus Dumbledore at the age of eleven, on our first day at Hogwarts. Our mutual attraction was undoubtedly due to the fact that we both felt ourselves to be outsiders. I had contracted dragon pox shortly before arriving at school, and while I was no longer contagious, my pock-marked visage and greenish hue did not encourage many to approach me. For his part, Albus had arrived at Hogwarts under the burden of unwanted notoriety."

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

Wow. Well, it doesn't bother me; actually, it makes sense. And kudos to her for promoting tolerance.

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I think it's TMI, personally and I fail to see the relevance of the information and why she would offer it.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She was asked a question, so she answered it.

8. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I recognize that she was asked a question. The answer, however, was not a necessary answer. In fact, her comments were non-responsive to the simple question that was asked.

9. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    No, they weren't. She was asked if Dumbledore ever fell in love himself. Her assertion that he was gay was a lead-in to her answer that he was in love with Grindelwald. It was wholly pertinent.

Now, she could always have chosen not to answer the question. But answering this question was no different from answering all the other questions she was asked; she didn't decline to answer any of them, and was only evasive when that child asked about the goats.

Telling us who Dumbledore was in love with isn't any more information than revealing that Neville and Hannah Abbot married; was that, similarly too much information?

I honestly wouldn't mind if she didn't answer as many questions as she does; we're finding out a lot about the world that it wouldn't hurt the world not to know. But I see no reason for her to avoid this question when she deals with all the others.

-Paul

10. scarus_multus2

scarus_multus2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2006
    Not really appropriate.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Strictly speaking, she could have said "Yes" and answered the question. But, as Paul points out, she gave detailed answers to every question she was asked, and often answered questions that flowed from her answers. Let's face it, if she had just said "yes", either that questioner or another would have asked who. There was no reason for her not to reveal the info, and I'm glad she did.

One follow-up question: was Grindelwald gay? Was unrequited love part of what led to the dispute?

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    One thing -- Neville and Hannah Abbot? What happened to Luna? I thought the two of them would get together.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think it had anything to do with the dispute, from what I remember Aberforth accused Dumbledore of abandoning him and Ariana because of his new plans with Grindelwald, Grindelwald eventually got angry and used a spell on Aberforth, and then Dumbledore defended his brother.

14. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I haven't read the place where she actually said this, so I can't vouch for its authenticity, but apparently Rowling has said that she just never thought of it, and that she agrees with about everyone else on the planet that they'd have been perfect. But we've known Luna/Neville didn't happen for a long time now; that Luna married another naturalist was, I think, in the very first batch of info we got. (Or maybe the second, but still, really early on.)

-Paul

15. scarus_multus2

scarus_multus2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2006
    Yeah, Luna married the grandson of the author of fantastic beasts and where to find them... it was released in the live chat with JKR.

Oh, I'm sorry. I honestly thought that would be fine.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, haven't read much of any of the released stuff.

Don't worry :) Not ban-worthy or anything, just be careful with comments that might offend someone :)

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The books are done, what else can J.K. reveal to give herself more publicity?

18. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    this whole, "she just wants more publicity" thing that some people are bandying around - i dont understand. why would JK Rowling, arguably the most famous author of our time need or want more publicity?

-doodie

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    You know, malkie said that we can say, "I think gays are dirty", and it's within the TOS.

20. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Well she is lawsuit happy and she's talking about releasing a Harry Potter Encyclpeada. I'm thinking she will make more books once she starts to loss abit of money granted that might be 5 to 10 years down the road but She will.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She has tons of money and publicity, she doesn't need anymore and doesn't come across as wanting more either. Besides, this "Dubledore is gay" news will probably HURT sales more than anything.

22. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    I agree with you on most of it but I do know alot of writters and the like who say this will be my last and then 5 to 10 years later they start it all up again. Although the Dubledor being gay will most likely hurt sales more then it will help her.

23. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    How, most people generally don't care he's gay. He's still one of the most loved characters in the series.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree -- she's got plenty of money, enough for her grandchildren to live a in a very upper-class style, I'd imagine. Fame? I don't know. I don't think that the phenomenon that is Harry Potter will die down soon, so she's still be famous for a long while.

And who knows? Maybe, unlike other authors, she's do the smart thing and quit while she's ahead.

25. CannotGetYourShipOut

CannotGetYourShipOut Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2007
    One thing -- Neville and Hannah Abbot? What happened to Luna? I thought the two of them would get together.

I really like both Neville and Luna, but I never really saw them together. Luna is such a flighty, free figure, and I really like her that way, I don't want her to "settle down" or become "normal." And I don't see Neville as working so much with someone quite like Luna. She's so flighty, I think that it left him bewildered a lot of the time, so I don't think that something between them could really last. That's why I even though I like the two of them separately (Neville is quite possibly my favorite character in the books, and was before DH, tyvm) I just don't think that they'd work together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.