main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter: The Last Horcrux? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    His destiny was created. Snape was the one that told voldemort about the prophecy thus sending things into motion.

It's his destiny to destroy him yes but from the way it sounded, he can probably choose not to. or, what if that is they way to kill voldemort, show him compasion, true compasion. Then the dark magic that Voldemort has created is undone.

dkt

2. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I can see Harry being pushed over the edge. Like someone said earlier, even "The Chosen One" has a breaking point. Whether or not he will strike someone down with the Avada Kedavra curse, I am not sure, though I can see him leaning towards dark wizardry, even if just for a bit. Why wouldn't he?

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    No way Harry forgives Voldemort. And while I do believe that Harry will be pushed to the edge, I seriously doubt that Harry will perform Avada Kedavra.

I rather think it's got something to do with the power that Harry's got that Voldemort doesn't... love. But how exactly that will be able to vanquish the Dark Lord, I'm not too sure [face_thinking] Perhaps it has to do with that locked door in the Department of Mysteries dedicated to the magical properties of love.

4. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Harry can't die, becuase then the theme of the books will be moot.

IMO The novels are about Harry finding his "Family". And it seems that he's starting to really feel at home with the weasels. If he dies then once again, Harry has failed to gain his objective...Plus its a kids book and that would upset the little ones.

thats just me

dkt

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Harry can't die, becuase then the theme of the books will be moot.

Exactly. Harry cannot be the final Horcrux. If he dies, the entire theme of the books is lost. Good does not really defeat evil if both of the characters who represent "good" (Albus and Harry) are killed. Dumbledore sacrificed himself for the greater good, while Harry must live on and take Dumbledore's place in history as one of the greatest wizards of all time.

(ps: I edited the title because you spelled "Horcrux" wrong)

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Personally after POA, I wouldn't let a kid read the last 4 books. The last three books have been tearjerkers towards the end. This is the like the ROTS of the series, the darkest hour and there's definitely going to be more than one Avada Kedavra for sure.

7. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001

No. Harry does not necessarily have to die if he is a horcrux. Please see my post on this matter . . .

Anyway, Harry will destroy Voldemort using whatever spell Dumbledore was trying to use on him in the Department of Mysteries. We still don't know what it is, and Jo has been very deceptive about it when questioned.

8. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I present to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, more compelling evidence that Harry is an unintentional Horcrux.

From Chamber of Secrets, p. 245:

'You can speak Parseltongue, Harry,' said Dumbledore camly, 'because Lord Voldemort - who is the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin - can speak Parseltongue. Unless I'm much mistaken, he transferred some of his own powers to you the night he gave you that scar. Not something he intended to do, I'm sure . . .'
    'Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?' Harry said, thunderstruck.
    'It certainly seems so.'

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I found the quote on 332-333 in the paperback edition. ;) Time to go reread. :)

10. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Bearing in mind that's the Australian/English edition I'm quoting from.

11. ElfinArcher

ElfinArcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2005
    This is certainly a compelling theory, one that bears thinking about. I like! It would certainly be an unexpected twist, and definitely leave a lot of "What the HECK?!" looks on people's faces, especially those that are gearing up for some big battle-riffic showdown.

I've been thinking somewhat philosophically as I've been reading this thread... Bear with me for a moment as I spew.

The prophesy states that "neither [Harry nor Voldemort] can live while the other survives." My question is, how does one want to define "live"? It seems to me that both Harry and Voldemort are so intent on destroying the other that they're not LIVING. They're letting life pass them by. Well, Harry, anyway. Which is understandable - the fate of the wizarding world has kind of been thrust upon his shoulders. He's so worried about where the next attack is going to come from, or how, exactly, he's going to kill Voldemort at the end of it all, since he knows that the final battle is going to be him versus the Dark Lord. That has to be a damper on the enjoyment that a normal 17 year old should be experiencing in life.
    So, maybe Harry doesn't have to DIE at the end of it - once Voldemort is vanquished, he can start LIVING again.

Or.. you know.... something.

12. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    That's a good reading of the prophecy, ElfinArcher. I agree.

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Can a part of a soul be placed into a person or thing without resulting in murder and the Horcrux spell, whatever that is.

So it would be part of Voldemort's soul in Harry, but not a horcrux.

14. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    Does the next movie come out in 2007?

15. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Order of the Phoenix should be released 6/1/07. Expect a trailer this Christmas. :)

16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    'You can speak Parseltongue, Harry,' said Dumbledore camly, 'because Lord Voldemort - who is the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin - can speak Parseltongue. Unless I'm much mistaken, he transferred some of his own powers to you the night he gave you that scar. Not something he intended to do, I'm sure . . .'
    'Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?' Harry said, thunderstruck.
    'It certainly seems so.'

There are certain parts of the books whic indicates Harry might be a Horcrux, but when one looks at all 6 books carefuly, that seems unlikely. If Harry is a Horcrux, Dumbledore would have probably known that. And Dumbledore always said that Harry must live. If Harry is a Horcrux, sooner or later he has to destroy himself or be destroyed in order to destroy Voldemort. I don't think Dumbledore ever planed that. He seemed very keen on keeping Harry alive.
    However, both options may be true. We cannot be sure until the book 7.

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I still don't see him as being a Horcrux, yes, Voldermort transferred some of his powers to him, however, there's a huge plot hole there. If Harry's got to destroy all of the Horcruxes before he can kill Voldermort, then how can he kill himself and still kill Voldermort? I suppose there could be a way, but remember trying to kill each other using wands and magic really doesn't work.

In GOF their wands crossed and didn't allow for them to kill each other, and Harry fought off Voldermort w/ love when Voldie tried to possess him.

Every time that he's felt Voldermort inside of him, he's still completely conscious of himself and his own thoughts and emotions. If Voldermort had him made him as a Horcrux, then technically he should be able to take over Harry completely w/o Harry knowing.

I can see that it would make for a dramatic ending that Harry would have to make the ultimate sacrifice if he was a Horcrux, but I just don't see JK doing that. I do suppose she might've been thinking about it all along, we do know that she thought of originally inserting stuff about the Horcruxes in COS and didn't, so she had already thought about them for a long time. Did she think originally that HARRY would be one and that was his scar? I don't know, I just can't see her thinking that.

Rather like others have said, the biggest desire of his heart is to have a family - the Weasleys and Ginny are his family. I just can't see JK ripping him away from them in the end.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I have stated it numerous times in this thread, and I'll state it again.

Harry does not have to die if he is a horcrux

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Could the blood of the enemy from GOF have something to do with this. I can't remember if Harry can talk parselmouth after GOF. But somewhere in OOTP I remember something. If he can't then he lost what Voldemort had given him. If he can, then it's like Harry has to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the Wizarding World.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Grrrr - as Dumbledore stated (Sorry don't have my book in front of me) all 7 of the horcruxes MUST be destroyed before Voldermort can die. If Harry is a Horcrux and he "kills" Voldermort, then in theory, Voldermort can somehow still live on inside of him.

Harry would have to either die or die at the same moment that he's killing Voldermort for the Dark Lord to be dead once and for all.

JK spells this out very clearly in HBP - I can't see that she's going to make some strange loophole to allow Harry to fry Voldermort and still be able to live w/ being the last horcrux.

The scar would need to be destroyed...ok...how in the heck would they manage that without maiming Harry? The scar's now every bit a part of him as his ability to speak Parsletongue.

Trust me, it would make perfect, logical sense for the scar to be the last horcrux, and perhaps it is, I just don't see how they're going to manage to get rid of the darned thing w/o killing Harry in the process.

21. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Moleman, Harry can understand Parseltongue in HBP - he can understand what Morfin Gaunt is saying, remember?

Alright. The Riddle Diary is not destroyed completely, yet the Horcrux in it is. The Gaunt ring is not completely destroyed, yet the Horcrux in it is. The only two Horcruxes we have met so far have not been completely obliterated, why does Harry have to be? And certainly if Voldemort's attempted possession of Harry is anything to go by, I'm betting he could no longer survive soley in Harry if all other parts (including his current body) were destroyed. I'm betting Harry could easily destroy the Horcrux in himself from within.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i have a feeling we wont seeing much of hogwarts in this one. we'll definitely visit it for a chapter or 2 but it wont be prominent i think

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Sorry Boogie. I forgot. Bad memory on my part. :(

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I picked up SS last night and just reading the opening chapter, I think I'm about to eat my socks on my belief that Harry's scar isn't a horcrux.

I think it's all there from the very first chapter. In front of the Dursleys when MacGonnigal and Dumbledore are talking, she asks about if Dumbledore would/should do anything about his scar, Dumbledore says to the effect "I wouldn't even if I could, scars can be very useful why I have one on my knee shaped like London's busline" (paraphrasing, please don't take that for gospel ;) )

Perhaps the scar's going to alert him by throbbing whenever he gets close to a horcrux and then towards the end he realizes that he's the last one and by the time he's destroyed the rest of them, he should be experienced enough to destroy it.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    If so then it should have "throbbed" when he read Tom Riddle's diary and he should of realized in the cave in HBP that the locket was a fake.

I agree that it is like a detector of evil, but not a horcrux. Sort of like Frodo's blade Sting, glowing blue when Orcs are around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.